Skip to main content

tv   CNN Tonight with Don Lemon  CNN  October 30, 2020 8:00pm-9:00pm PDT

8:00 pm
8:01 pm
can you believe it, it's 73 hours until election day and the clock is ticking. more than 86 million ballots have already been cast in rl vo -- in early voting. a record number. president trump and joe biden leaving nothing to chance. trump holding four rallies in pennsylvania, one of the most important battle ground states. he won it in 2016 and polls show biden is leading there h. biden is holding two events in michigan with obama. gentlemen, good evening. good to see you both.
8:02 pm
the 73 hours before election day. john -- yeah, right, so, both trump,ity tru president trump, former vice president joe biden. pennsylvania, it's critical to his path to 270, i'm talking about trump. >> the upper midwest is likely where we decide whether joe biden wins the presidency. donald trump has a lot of turf to defend. a hot of battleground states where he is facing a tough challenge from joe biden, arizona. iowa, north carolina, a florida, georgia, all states that trump won in 2016. but the, if biden can take away the three big ones in the midwest. pennsylvania, wisconsin, and michigan, and he will be president, because there are no states where the president is seriously challenging for states that hillary clinton won. minnesota is one where he has an outside shot.
8:03 pm
but he has a significant deficit in minnesota, so, really, the ground zero is going to be michigan, wisconsin, and pennsylvania. and pennsylvania, of the three, the decisive one. >> is s sadly, it's the worst week for coronavirus cases. the president is holding 17 rallies and four days with few masks. no social distancing. i mean, quite, honestly, this is terrifying. >> it is terrifying. and we have not seen the worst of it. in a day or two, we will talk triple -- you know, six digits for cases in a day. we will see over 100,000 cases in one day. now, that by itself sounds bad, but two weeks after that, you know, we will start seeing 2,000 people a day dying in this
8:04 pm
country. >> hm-mm. >> and hospitals are increasing the patients, the number of patients hospitalized are increasing rapidly. today, there's 47,000 patients hospitalized with covid. almost every day now, we are seeing an increase of a thousand patients and hospitals in the midwest are starting to fill. >> hm-mm. >> and then you will see elective case stop. >> unless something changes and changes fast, how bad could the pandemic get? >> losing 2,000 to 2500 patients a day. >> wow. >> to that math, you know, in a month. you know, losing 75,000 patients in a month. we can, we have the power to put it down. we need to mask up. and in someplaces we had need to think about smart closures. we are seeing it in texas. the governor of new jersey is
8:05 pm
not threatening it, but he is, you know, he put it back on the table to think about doing again, strategic closures. we are seeing it in europe. europe is closing all over. it's the smart thing to do when the virus gets out of control. that is how we got control with the first wave. so, here's the choice for the country. if you don't want to close, then mask up. but we can't have it both ways. we can't be no mask and no closing. so, if closing is offensive. let's mask up. >> yeah. john, president barack obama sat down with lebron james and maverick carter for an interview on hbo's "the shop," this is where he compares the late stages of the campaign to the nba finals. >> i think what is good is young people is have been activated in ways they have not been activated before. we have to keep it going.
8:06 pm
lebron knows something about this in the finals. you don't have to be nervous if you have got a big lead going in to the last minute. and so, the key here is for us to maintain a lead. >> yep. hm-mm. >> but, if we are slack, if we let, you know, our guards down, if we kind of relax, you know, somebody might call time-out. where you did not have one. -- >> besides being one of the nice estimate barber shops i have seen that the former president is sitting in. i don't know if it's a backdrop or not, but it's nice. is it a good compare on? >> sure, dicey for the president to refer to that time-out, he is talking about chris weber. university of michigan in that final against north carolina where chris weber had a little brain freeze and called a time-out. got a technical foul. that's why president trump, excuse me, president obama and
8:07 pm
joe biden are going to michigan this weekend. flint and detroit, because one of the key factors in the highway hill defeat in 2016 was you had inadequate turnout among african-americans, especially in michigan, wisconsin, pennsylvania. so, around philadelphia, around milwaukee. around detroit. the president is going to, president obama is doing to detroit, stevie wonder is going to appear there. he is going to flint, another heavily african-american city. trying to get the turn out and prevent drop off from turn out is critical to joe biden's ability to hold that lead that president obama was talking about. >> john, doctor, thank you so much. appreciate it, see you soon. i want to get to the candidates path to 270 electoral votes. john king is at the magic wall for us. explain how the kren krocoronav impacting the race?
8:08 pm
>> just another sad collision between the coronavirus and the election. it is a reminder, president trump is running, yes, against joe biden and against himself. against his record on handling this pandemic. when you look across country, again, we talk about this all the time. we the think of red and blue. this is a map that shows the pain of covid across america. well, fill it in, red and blue starting next tuesday night. this is cases per 100,000 residents. think of it in the context of where we saw the candidates today. right had? the president was in michigan, a lot of pain there. >> in wisconsin, more pain, including a spike right now that is blowing previous records away. look at the red, it's the highest case count. minnesota as well. right, there was campaigning by the vice president, former vice president, joe biden in iowa. senator harris in texas. the vice president in arizona. every state in america has felt the pain. but some of these states have felt it in an incredibly severe way which complicates the president's challenge. without a doubt as we head in
8:09 pm
the final days. he wants to say the pandemic is gone, things are better, we have turned the corner. the map tells you the truth and it's not what the president said. let's look at it from a different perspective, when you think of the toll the top ten states, new cases per capita, you see new states. you see new cases per capita. these are the top ten states in the country right now, reporting covid cases. guess what? in 2016, all ten voted for trump. it does not mean that these states are going to nflip on th president. he is saying, we have turned the corner, and they know it. they live it every day of their live. battleground iowa on the challenge. this is another way to look at it as we switch the map and come back. newly confirmed cases yesterday, today sets a record. this is yesterday. these were the top ten states yesterday with the most cases, right? and again, if you want to bring
8:10 pm
politics in to it. 7 of the 10 -- these are states going through the pain. they voted blue last time. pain, new confirmed cases as the president tries to make the case, give minimum him four more years the leadership on the pandemic is defining. and one more, the positivity rate. these are the top ten states when it comes to problems if you will. more positives cases means more cases tomorrow. that looks through the perspective of 2016. all but one, nevada, voted for the president, four years ago. look across here, most of the states are reliablely red. watch on election night. see if the president's margins are small er. even in solid republican states, the numbers not good and it's impacting the tone and tenor of the campaign. let's look at the presidential map as we do. yes, the president can come
8:11 pm
back. he needs overwhelming turn out and he needs toss up states. then, he still has to do business up in some of the big states and he is targeting the midwest battlegrounds. look, he can talk about the economy all he wants. he can talk about law and order. 42% approve, 55 disapprove in the statute of michigan when it comes to the handling of the virus. it's the number one issue in the country. the voters don't like what they have. and that makes them inclined to look for change. move over to battleground wisconsin, this graphic more telling, it shows the direction. a month ago, 44% of wisconsin approved and now, it's done to 39%. 59% in a battleground disproving of the president's handling of the virus. yes, don, it's possible for a comeback in the last four days. possible, ifhe has an enormous turnout on election day. but the coronavirus is a severe
8:12 pm
head wind and in the places the president needs the wind is getting stronger right now. sadly. >> mr. john king. thank you very much, sir, big questions still hanging over joe biden and donald trump at this late stage in the race. let's break it down now. the resident forecaster, harry. how is it going, brother? >> i'm with you, it cannot be too bad. >> i like to hear that. so, a lot of people talking about had tonight, maybe it's over blown. maybe it's not. is biden under performing with minority voters and if so, is that a warning sign? >> he absolutely is. specifically among hispanic voters. right? we have seen it throughout the campaign and seen it in florida with cuban voters. >> don't cubans usually vote conservative? >> last time, hillary clinton did well with cuban americans and we saw them coming back to the gop fold in 2018 and we are seeing it still in 2020.
8:13 pm
here's the thing i point out. is joe biden is over performing among white voters and they make up the vast majority of voters and had that is why you are seeing the spike joe biden performing worse with hispanics and doing better with white voters it more than covers the spread. >> hm-mm, okay, and african-american voters any evidence of that, or is that people writing copy? >> it's tiny. tiny, it's very, very tiny. nothing compared to hispanics. >> got it. now, trump, is there a shy trump affect, voters that don't want to tell pollsters that they are voting for trump and going to come out and surprise again? >> i don't think they are particularly is. and one of the things that is important to point out about 2016. there were a lot of undecided voters right. and then in the last month of the campaign, they decided to go the donald trump. there's fewer undecided voters at this point. and other thing that i will note. white voters without a college
8:14 pm
degree. that was a key group for trump in 2016 and if you look at the state of wisconsin right now, and you look at how they are going. take a look here. the results in 2016, you see won white voters without a college degree, and now the margin is down to four. we are seeing it throughout the country and the national polls as well. where simply put is not doing as well with his base. you can compare it to the preelection polls as well. one last thing that i will point out, if the polling averages are as wrng as they were in 2016. joe biden would still win. it doesn't mean that the poll averages will be as good as they were in 2016. they could be worse. donald trump needs a worse polling mistake this year to accomplish what he did four years ago. >> the harry, has spoken, everyone. >> i have spoken. you have listened. we still have voting to do though. >> thank you, harry. i will see you soon. we have a long way even though it's 70 something hours. it's a long time to election day. >> a lot of sleep to be missed
8:15 pm
by me. >> see you soon, have a great weekend. >> one of the great senate races, they squared off in the final debate tonight, guess who is here, you will never believe it, senator lind -- no, no, it's j jaime harrison. >> held hlo, michigan. hello, wisconsin, hello roch sem ester, hello, minnesota.
8:16 pm
8:17 pm
8:18 pm
he used to have gum problems. now, he uses therabreath healthy gums oral rinse with clinically-proven ingredients and his gum problems have vanished. (crowd applauding) therabreath, it's a better mouthwash. at walmart, target and other fine stores.
8:19 pm
thresponds to snoringse from automatically.wash. so no hiding under your pillow. or opting for the couch. because it's our first system that detects snoring and automatically adjusts to help reduce it. your best sleep. all night. every night. one of the highest profile races next week is for south carolina senate seat, the two candidates squared off in a final debate earlier this morning, where graham repeatedly tried to tie harrison to the progressive members of the democratic party. >> he is going to be with them, folks, when it comes to the big stuff. and i'm going to stop what i
8:20 pm
think is one of the most radical agendas coming out of nancy pelosi's house if i'm in the senate. if the republicans keep the senator, i'm the budget chairman, if the democrats take it back bernie sanders is the budget chairman. this stuff matters, don't be fooled. >> if you had nancy pelosi on the drinking game tonight, get a designated driver, he has had hit that a lot. you cannot give a lesson on telling the truth. you said hold the tape, use my words against me. senator, you have constantly lied to the people here in south carolina. you lied about term limits. you have lied about the supreme court. >> so, jaime harrison joins me now, a democratic candidate for the u.s. senate. looked like a heated, great debate. you are in the final few hours of a hard fought election. how are you feeling about your chances? >> i feel really good, don. yet another debate where we felt we won the debate.
8:21 pm
senator graham is talking about everything else other than his record in being washington, d.c. for the past 25 years. he said nancy pelosi's name is so much, you know, i thought maybe are we running for the house? i felt we were run are for the u.s. senate. but he is just desperate and it's sad to see, a man who is the chair in the senate judiciary committee, one of the most powerful members in the u.s. senate and he is desperate. >> i want to play another moment from the debate. you were asked if systemic racism exists and here is how he started his answer? >> i grew up in central south carolina. the first in my family to go to college. my dad was a world war ii veteran. he started a restaurant, a bar, pool room down stairs, a liquor store on the other side. when i was a kid, african-americans would come in and buy the beer to go. and i remember asking my parents why was that?
8:22 pm
and they said, that's just the way it is. they were good people, but that's not the way it is anymore and i'm glad. >> what were you thinking when he said that? >> you know, i have said this on a number of cautions. lyndsay graham is a relic of the old south. i'm trying to build a bridge to the new south. one that is bold and ip inclusive and diverse. you know, this is the same guy that said african-americans and i am gra immigrants can do anything in the state as long as they are conservative, not liberal. this is an old language that there's just no place for right now. we need someone who, who actually has a foot in the future. not in our past. and you know, that's why senate graham needs to go. >> well, anyways, you were there, this is your fight. i was fascinated to hear him use
8:23 pm
had that analogy, so far, double the number of absentee ballots have voted from 2016. what is your read on the early vote so far? >> it's great so far, don. i'm very, very pleased with the early vote. so much excitement for this particular race. but the one thing i am concerned about, and it's some confusing and conflicting information that is out there. you know, everyone in south carolina can vote absentee early this year without an excuse, i think it's helped facilitate such a robust turn out. but, the one thing for folks who have a ballot at home. you need to make sure that you sign your ballot and get a witness signature, if you are going to vote absentetch ee, on the things i'm saying, given the late hour, folks need to take their ballot directly to the voter registration office.
8:24 pm
do not send the ballots in. but make sure, make sure if you are submitting it, sign that ballot and you also get a witness signature. i'm told there are almost will 2,000 ballots that they are going to throw out and they are not going to give people an opportunity to cure, cure the mistake that they have made and that's a travesty, we need to do better, when i get in the u.s. superintendent, i'm -- i get in the u.s. senate, i'm going to change a lot of these things. >> i appreciate you coming on the show, thank you so much, listen, 72 hours, it's still a long way to go. >> thank you, don, i appreciate it. >> all right. >> trump's holding 17 rallies, biden is hitting the trail with obama. who's final push will take them all the way to the white house? plus, amy klobashar tsh ♪
8:25 pm
8:26 pm
introducing the all-new 2021 gla suv. starting at just $36,230. it's the biggest thing that ever happened to small. lease the gla 250 suv for just $399 a month at your local mercedes-benz dealer.
8:27 pm
8:28 pm
8:29 pm
. the 2020 race entering the final weekend before election day, as joe biden and president trump appear to make their last pitch to voters. both candidates are spending a lot of time in the rust belt. president trump holding potential super spreader rallies and spreading lies as well about doctors. joe biden blaming the president for the worsening pandemic. >> our doctors get mirror money if somebody be dies from covid. you know that, right? i mean, our doctors are very smart people. so, what they do, they say, i'm sorry, everybody dies of covid. >> he said we are rounding the corner. it's going away. and only he can say, we are learning to live with it. well, i told him, we are not learning to live with it, we are learning to die with it, because of you. >> so, let's discuss.
8:30 pm
anthony scaramucci is here. and alice stewart is here too. good evening to both of you. anthony, just when you think the president cannot go any lower. he does. he is attacking doctors, accusing them of padding the covid numbers to make money. how does anyone buy this and in what universe does it make sense to anybody? >> it's not, it's not that, it's coraling the people around him. he is the last white man standing in the great culture war, don. so, he can say and do anything, they will galvanize around him. that's the narrative going on the other network. donald trump, he is the last guy standing. the result is he can say and do anything. he likes, he gets a good reaction from that sort of stuff from the crowd. you know, the republicans that are sensible and sound minded, they know the stuff is crazy. they can't even defend it anymore.
8:31 pm
and every day, just a few more chip off and say, you know what? i cannot vote for this anymore. i cannot vote for the super spreading and the lying. i can't vote for the denegration of the doctors like this. and he is going to lose. he is going to get annihalated on tuesday. i told you that 15 months ago when we were alone together, i said, you watch how it unfolds. he is not stable. he cannot manage a situation. if we get in a crisis, he will dematerialize before our sigh -- our eyes. it's military grade propaganda that he is at 40% given the destruction he has wrought on the society. >> we still have to count the votes and it's not over until they say it's over. >> i didn't say this was over. i said he is going to get destroyed. over the next 72 hours we are going to be working hard to get the vote out. i will be in battleground states doing local radio. >> you are relentless.
8:32 pm
>> of course. man, this is a life or death situation for the american people. they have got to wake up here. if this guy gets re-elected, there will be hundreds of thousands of unnecessary deaths as a result of this pandemic. and so, we are going to be out there speaking about it and telling people the truth. >> all right, let's bring ini alice. >> he is trying to take over so you cannot speak. president frump is holding super spreader rallies he is down playing the virus as it continues to hit record highs. do you think, do republicans think it's a smart closing argument? >> i think, receipt me first start off by saying, obviously we can count anthony scaramucci down as undecided at this stage of the gape. we will -- of the game. >> you cannot call me never a trumper, because i was once a trumper. >> that is true. the president has spoken for
8:33 pm
hours and hours today in the last several weeks and will speak for several hours between now and election day about his closing argument and part of that does include coronavirus and his commitment to making sure that we find a safe and effective vaccine. and reminding the american people what he has done to provide ppes. and also, encouraging what public health officials are saying with regard to safely and effectively opening up schools and businesses. but there's more to the closing argument than. that it's what he has done to the economy, the gdp numbers are tremendous, and what he will do with regard to safely opening up schools and businesses. and touting his successes with regard to supreme court and israel, and a lot of the things he has done in the past and reminding voters what he has done. there's a reason why, at these rallies, there are more than just republicans. there are a lot of undecided, there's a lot of democrats and a lot of people who did not vote
8:34 pm
in 2016. it's unfair to assume that everyone there is just a deplorable trump base supporter. he is bringing new advices to the table. it's premature for anyone to spike the football. it's not decided yet. >> that's why i said to anthony listen, people still have to go to the polls and the votes have to be counted right? back to the premise of my question. when you said that he needs to remind people. does he want to remind people of the job he has done with covid? because, perhaps, not perhaps, businesses would be open now. people would be back in school. our lives would be back to some degree of normalcy. if there was more buy-in, from the trump administration and from trump supporters. had he said early on, when the scientists andthe doctors said, okay, now we have evidence that masks do work. instead of saying, i'm not going to do it, telling people to open
8:35 pm
up. we would be in a better place. my question is, is it wise to remind people of the terrible job he has done. there's no question wiabout it. he has done a terrible job. he has done an awful job when it comes to the coronavirus. we have thousand this is of peop -- we have thousands of people dying every week. and will be daily now. he has not done a great job. and he wants to is have rallies in places that he doesn't want to social distance and he does not encourage people to wear masks. why is that his closing argument? it's an alternative universe, alice. come on. >> one death is too. and the number of deaths that we have had with regard to covid is a astronomical, and we all wish none of it could happen. we can't second guess what could have been done and should have been done. and we cannot blame everything
8:36 pm
on the president. we have to look -- >> stop guessing. the scientists and the doctors are telling us. when you look at the evidence. the shear evidence. the reality of the, of what is out there. the evidence that is on the table about places where people wear masks. where people socially distance. the numbers go down. the infection rates go down. where people don't, they go up. in the beginning, alice, i mean, this is just shear evidence, this is not like, this is not, i'm not making this up. no one is making this up. in the beginning, it was blue states. like new york and washington. where people came in from overseas. and in places like new york city. where people are close together. where there are many more people than in rural places and places that are traditionally red places. but now the red states, the red are areas are seeing higher infection rates because they are not following the science that's being put out there. it's not me saying it's a democrat or whatever, it's just
8:37 pm
mere, facts. it's what is so frustrating about people now who, who believe the president when he says, that this, we are rounding the corner. alice, it's happening. the science is there. it's not a hypothetical. >> i'm not agreeing that we are rounding the corner on this, don. i think we still need to use caution, we need to heed the advice of health officials. we need to wear masks. we need to social distance. i'm not a fan of the big rallies. i think people should be certainly much more careful when it comes to this, but, we have to remember, this is not a red state problem, or a blue state problem. covid is a nonpartisan issue and a lot of the decisions have to be -- >> again, alice, that is not his closing arguments. his closing argument is that it's happening in blue states -- this is his words. it should be democratic. where there are democrat mayors and democrat governors in blue states. he is making this about blue and
8:38 pm
red states instead of the united states. that is not his closing arguments. i know you want, you probably wish that was his closing arguments. but it's not. he is not relying on science at all. he is not in reality at all when it comes to the virus. he is out there had spreading bs to his supporters and bringing them in to rallies not socially distancing, and putting their health at risk. i don't understand what, i don't get it. i don't get how you are, why you are arguing in favor of something that is just not based in reality. alice, are you there? >> she can't hear me. okay. i got to go. i'm sorry. we will try to get alice back. i have to run, we will be right back. sorry. it's either the assurance of a 165-point certification process. or it isn't. it's either testing an array of advanced safety systems. or it isn't. it's either the peace of mind of a standard unlimited mileage warranty.
8:39 pm
or it isn't. for those who never settle, it's either mercedes-benz certified pre-owned. or it isn't. the mercedes-benz certified pre-owned sales event. now through november 2nd. shop online and build your deal today. thresponds to snoringse from automatically. so no hiding under your pillow. or opting for the couch. because it's our first system that detects snoring and automatically adjusts to help reduce it. your best sleep. all night. every night. it's our sharpest ever, and while some other companies would charge more for something new, we don't. because why be like everyone else? harry's. not the same.
8:40 pm
fine, no one leaves the tablefine, we'll sleep here. ♪ it's the easiest because it's the cheesiest. kraft. for the win win. what about here? here? here? daddy, is that where we're from?
8:41 pm
well, actually... we're from a lot of places. you see we're from here and there and here... turn questions you've always had into stories you can't wait to share; with ancestry.
8:42 pm
8:43 pm
less than 73 hours until election be day, and both campaigns are focusing on the midwest. but president and joe biden were in minnesota today, a state that hillary clinton won in 2016. joining me now is amy klobachar of minnesota. we just learned that minnesota is not going to appeal yesterday's appeals court realing that mail-in ballots must be received no lawsuter th
8:44 pm
election day. what does it mean for your state? >> they could do something after the election. the decision was made because we need consistency and clarity in the next few days and we need a clear direction to our voters and that is that you cannot putty the ballots in the mail, anymore, even though they say this they can be postmarked on election day. what you need to do, is to deliver the mail-in ballots to a drop off box near your place. or you can vote in person in minnesota. and you can find out where all the places are on i will vote.com. >> i have to ask you about the president. as i was watching earlier this evening. president trump was unhappy that his rally size in minnesota was limited by covid restrictions. he is holding 17 battleground state rallies in four days. he is banking on an election day surge like last time. will he be able to pull it off again, you think? >> i don't think so. and i don't think so, don, because people are voting in droves over 85 million americans
8:45 pm
have cast their ballots, there's so many independents and moderate republicans, people that voted for trump or stayed home and they are saying, wait a minute, people voted four years ago, you know, and especially as i look at the suburbs of the twin cities. they are saying, um, okay. do i want to have a guy, it's very practical. we are practical in the midwest. do i want to have a president for four more years who could not get the protective equipment out to the nurses and doctors. or the testing out? and i'm going to entrust him with getting a vaccine out that could save my life? i don't think so. that's why i think a competense argument winning out, compared to joe biden, and his compassion. people have had it --
8:46 pm
>> do you feel that biden has been out hustled? >> not a bit. he has gone everywhere and i like the discipline. the last one had in warm springs, georgia. i got to talk to him today in minnesota, and talked to him about how important that was where he went to that place where franklin roosevelt went to heal and heal our country and heal himself. and that that is his closing message. that is what joe biden stands for and franklin roosevelt was able to save the country through his policy and heart. and joe biden will make the same move the minute he gets in the white house. so, i just think that, you see his message resonating, and you see his surrogates out. i love the fact that john kasich and cindy mccain. i just did a zoom call with her in minnesota, and all of the republicans colin powell, republicans that came out for joe biden and helped to make his case as well.
8:47 pm
>> well, senator, you sound confident and appreciate you joining us. >> only if people vote. we can relive our town hall meeting speech. >> thank you. >> there were so. >> i know, but who's counting. thank you, senator. >> okay, see you soon. >> see ya. we will be right back.
8:48 pm
you know when your dog is itching for an outing... or itching for some cuddle time. but you may not know when he's itching for help... licking for help... or rubbing for help. if your dog does these frequently. they may be signs of an allergic skin condition that needs treatment. don't wait. talk to your veterinarian and learn more at itchingforhelp.com. we use 11. eleven. why do an expense report from your phone when you can do it from a machine that jams? i just emailed my wife's social security number to the entire company instead of hr, so... please come back. how hard is your business software working for you? with paycom, employees enter and manage their own hr data in one easy-to-use software.
8:49 pm
visit paycom.com for a free demo. hon? first off, we love each other...
8:50 pm
8:51 pm
8:52 pm
so on the final weekend before election day, the covid pandemic raging out of control. president trump falsely claims we're rounding a turn. that it's, you know, going away. and he ignores the devastating impact on america's seniors. but senior women are sending a strong message to the president. we matter and we vote. here's cnn's kate bolduan. >> so at 78 years old, what is it that drives you to stand on a street corner in the rain, in the cold, to get your face out there? >> we really want to win. if people don't see us, they're not going to know to vote for us. >> reporter: jane is a new hampshire democrat. she has spent her entire life serving others, as a nurse, episcopal priest and, now, in 2020, she is running for elected
8:53 pm
office, for the first time. >> i had no idea what to expect, to begin with. and, of course, now with covid, we can't knock on doors. so, we're relying on phone calls and yard signs. being an old lady, i'm not all that steady on my feet. so, i'm -- i'm okay with not knocking on doors. >> has president trump factored into your decision to run? >> yeah, probably. probably. because it just gets worse and worse, every day. and i think senior citizens, for example, all marginalized people, are at risk. >> reporter: a vast majority of the coronavirus deaths in the country have been seniors. here, in new hampshire, 96% of those killed by covid have been 60 and older. that weighs heavily on the women we are talking to, on their lives, on their vote, and also, on how much they think the president sees their value to the country. >> i'm very concerned about the pandemic.
8:54 pm
i am 77 years of age. i live with a woman, who is 75 years of age. we do not want to become ail and die, yet. we're not ready. >> what do you think of the president's handling of the response to the pandemic? >> there has been no constructive action, that he has taken, whatsoever. >> donald trump says, essentially, don't worry about the virus because only older people get it. how does it make you feel to hear that? >> excluded. expendable. that we don't matter. and if we get it and we become very ill, it doesn't matter that we might need ventilators and be dead in two days.
8:55 pm
>> sent out a picture and it was joe biden's face, kind of, ph o photo-shopped onto a man sitting in a wheelchair, clearly, targeting age. >> anybody of my age has to say he's talking about me. he's not just talking about joe biden. >> covid, as far as i'm concerned, that was the main decider. i'm a diabetic. i am 72. i'm compromised. i do not have any desire to get it. >> reporter: karen is a mom, grandmother, and small-business owner in western new hampshire. she is also a die-hard republican. >> have you ever voted for a democrat before? for president, even? >> no, absolutely not. this is the first time. i've already voted. i voted absentee, and i have voted for biden. >> how would you describe the last four years, for you, under president trump? >> exhausting.
8:56 pm
i find it absolutely exhausting. the insults. if trump wins, the very next day, i'm going down to lebanon city hall and i am registering as an independent, after 55 years. >> people are anxious, and they're anxious for the election to be over. >> reporter: 66-year-old new hampshire state senator, cindy rosenwald, is up for re-election. she says, even beyond covid-19, this election is different from any other. how important are older, women voters in this election? >> you can always count on us to show up and vote. and you can count on older women to, also, do the grassroots campaign work, too. >> do you think it's fair to consider age in a decision of who to vote for as president? >> well, this election, i don't see where it makes much difference because, you know,
8:57 pm
they're both older people. >> what would you say to a voter who says, jane, you're too old to run? >> i say, watch me. >> reporter: this is not predictive, of course, of how all older women will vote this cycle. in fact, we talked to one woman in new hampshire who is a huge trump supporter. unfortunately, she did not want to speak on camera. four years ago, seniors split between donald trump and hillary clinton in new hampshire. in national polls, this cycle, joe biden is leading. and he is seen as performing better among seniors than any democrat has in a generation. don. >> kate bolduan, thank you so much. and thank you for watching. our coverage continues. when the pandemic shook our city,
8:58 pm
8:59 pm
scott wiener immediately went to work, making sure families could put food on their tables, defending renters facing eviction, securing unemployment benefits, helping neighborhood businesses survive.
9:00 pm
scott wiener will never stop working until california emerges from this crisis. the bay area needs scott's continued leadership in sacramento. because we know scott is fighting for all of us. re-elect scott wiener for state senate. (awith your next new vehicle? what kind of value are you looking for because we know scott is fighting for all of us. with subaru, you get kelley blue book's 2020 best resale value brand, 2020 lowest 5-year cost to own brand,

149 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on