Skip to main content

tv   Larry King Live  CNN  July 14, 2009 9:00pm-10:00pm EDT

9:00 pm
>> see you tomorrow. >> that does it for us. have a great night. "larry king live" starting right now. >> larry: tonight debbie rowe, deal or no deal? the attorney for michael jackson's former wife denies reports that she's agreed to take millions in exchange for this. not challenging grandmother katherine for custody of the two kids she had with the king of pop. what's the truth? and who's telling it? plus debbie's long time friend is here to tell us about the debbie that he knows next on "larry king live." >> larry: we begin tonight with two of the best journalists covering this case, jim moret
9:01 pm
the chief correspondent for "inside edition." and carlos diaz the correspondent for "extra." the new york post has a screaming front page headline today "cash cow, jacko's kids to mom for $4 million." >> he demanded an immediate retraction and says this is his letter. four key points but basically said this story is false, it's malicious, retract it. >> larry: what do you make of it? is the post running wild? which they have been known to do. >> here's the thing. this doesn't go to a court until monday. so why would they strike a deal so early? it's great posturing by the lawyer saying no deal has been struck and even if they are still negotiating, it's a great way for her lawyer to let the jackson family know they mean business that they're not going to settle for something not as much money as she can get. >> reporte
9:02 pm
>> larry: debbie rowe's attorney demanded a retraction. ms. rowe has not and will not give up her parental rights, no determination has been reached concerning custody or visitation, ms. rowe has not accepted and will not accept any additional financial consideration beyond the spousal support she and michael jackson personally agreed to several years ago. in response, the post editor and chief says the post stands by its story. the post, of course, will not give a source, right, jim? >> right, and we talked to people. >> larry: that's a definitive statement by the lawyer. >> it's not a hedge, but it doesn't say they're not negotiating. and that's a good thing. because, you know, these hearings, the custody hearings have been delayed twice. and the sources close to the family have told us the sides are talking. and this doesn't say they're not talking. >> larry: you hear that from sources? >> we're hearing they're talking. >> let's make one thing perfectly clear, debbie rowe has never been a part of these kids' lives and she knows she has an
9:03 pm
uphill battle because of the fact she hasn't been part of their lives, and if she's going to battle for these kids, she's only battling for two, so in essence, the court would have to split up these kids in order to give debbie rowe these kids. so obviously a settlement is in her best interest because it's an uphill battle. >> she's still the biological mother. >> larry: and that holds weight in california, does it not? >> sure it does. >> larry: arnold kline was here last week, a lot of rumors about him being the father. he didn't really deny it. he said he would take dna and said he has deposited sperm in a bank. what do you make of that whole thing? where is that going? >> that's got to be in the minds of katherine jackson's attorneys and the jackson family's attorneys into this because debbie rowe if she's saying the biological mother, she can easily ask for a dna test to see if michael's even the biological father. so if there's a settlement. that's something that's in her favor in debbie rowe's favor
9:04 pm
that she can say okay, well, if you want to take this to court, we can dna test and find out that michael may not be the biological father of these kids. >> but in california, they were born when michael jackson was married to debbie rowe. as far as the law is concerned he's the dad. i'll tell you the wild card, we don't know where the biological mom is for blanket. everybody's holding their breath -- >> larry: where did he appear from? >> an anonymous donor. >> in the interview with martin bushir from years ago, he said the mother has agreed to not come forward and she's not going to be part of blanket's life. that's a wild card. >> larry: what is debbie rowe's image, do you think, if any? >> well, look at the headline. it said cash cow. >> larry: the new york post is famous for that. >> i think a lot of people are saying she's selling her kids. the fact is she said publicly, i had these children for michael, he is a great father. but michael's gone. she may have changed her mind. she may feel she now wants to be a part of their lives. i can't tell you her motivation,
9:05 pm
i don't pretend to know. but joe jackson's statements may have bothered her in the last few days saying he's thinking about forming the jackson 3 and, you know, those are disturbing statements. >> she didn't help herself out in the two pieces of video from last week are debbie rowe getting angry at the paparazzi, using a very bad curse word, threatening them physically and then you have paris, michael's daughter on stage crying, saying she misses her dad and falling into the arms of janet jackson, the court of public opinion, those kids need to be with the jackson family. >> larry: what's the joe jackson story in this? >> michael jackson has always been open about the fact he was abused business hi father, he said so himself. and if he's insinuating himself into their lives and wants to raise them, debbie rowe may say as she said to a local reporter last week, i don't want him raising those kids. and maybe that's what's springing her into this. it certainly could be something that's disturbing her. >> and michael, of course, in the will does not -- he does not mention his father whatsoever. obviously it's michael's wishes,
9:06 pm
he says i want my kids with katherine, my mom and if katherine cannot raise the kids, then diana ross. >> larry: do you expect a spirited custody hearing if nothing is arranged? >> yes. short answer's yes. >> larry: who's the judge? >> i'm not familiar with the judge in this case. any judge is going to look at the following. what's in the best interest of the children? >> larry: that's what he's there for or she? >> yes, and you're going to talk to the children because they're 11, 12, and 7. they're old enough to have an opinion. you're going to listen to them, you're going to look at debbie rowe as a mother, you're going to look at katherine, as well, because michael jackson specifically said in his will, that's who i want to raise them. larry, you're a parent, it's a tough thing to decide what's best for that kid. >> the hearing is monday and her attorneys said she will be at that hearing on monday. they're coming to play. >> larry: will the children be asked? >> i don't think they'll be at the hearing. but they will be interviewed in some capacity, i'm sure. because when you have an
9:07 pm
11-year-old and 12-year-old -- >> larry: they have judgment. >> of course they do. and don't forget, they're now with katherine, they're with their cousins, aunts, uncles, with the family they know as their family. they don't even know debbie rowe as their mother, they know her as ms. debbie. i suspect the oldest kids are old enough to look it up. >> larry: why are we so fascinated with this? the man is gone. >> it's an interesting case because as we pointed out the fact she is the biological mother holds weight in california. she basically gave these kids to michael jackson. she gave -- >> larry: she got money for that. what did she get, do we know? >> she basically -- it was a settlement over years. >> larry: jim and carlos will be back later. so hang around. one of debbie rowe's friends is with us. hear what he has to say about the mother of michael jackson's children next.
9:08 pm
free credit report dot com! tell your friends, tell your dad, tell your mom! never mind, they've been singing our songs since we first showed up with our pirate hats on! if you're not into fake sword fights pointy slippers and green wool tights take a tip from a knight who knows free credit report dot com, let's go! vo: offer applies with enrollment in triple advantage.
9:09 pm
9:10 pm
joining us now from germany where he's on a business and social trip is mark shap l, the former business associate of michael jackson and the long time friend of debbie rowe. how did you come to know debbie, mark? >> well, i actually met debbie while i was with michael working in his camp. i had the opportunity to have contact with her several times. and i found that she really was a very nice wonderful caring
9:11 pm
person. you know, when i finally got close to her and got to meet her, you know, she was completely different than what the public perceives. >> larry: different completely from the way we perceive her? >> debbie's a very caring, wonderful, warm person. i mean, she's a very humble person. people, you know, don't give her credit that she was a friend of michael's for over 30 years. she's the mother of two of his children. she was married to michael, you know, when michael passed away. she was grieving like everybody else. and, you know, reporters, paparazzi were all up in her face. and, you know, when she reacts to that, when she's looking for some privacy and just trying to go on with her life, you know, people make comments that, you know, she doesn't react well with the paparazzi. >> larry: as you -- >> her life is --
9:12 pm
>> larry: has -- i know as you mentioned, marc, she's been under a lot of pressure from the press and the paparazzi. she had an angry confrontation last week. watch. >> debbie, are you ready to fight for your kids, debbie? are you ready -- >> are you ready to fight for your children. >> are you ready to fight for your children? >> are you ready to get your butt kicked? don't touch me. >> are you going to take a cash settlement for the kids? how important are the kids to you, debbie? >> are you ready to fight for your kids, debbie? do you think she's ready to fight? >> i think probably marc, a lot of people would sympathize with what happened to her there. don't you think. >> well, you know, that was the day prior to the day or two prior to the memorial for michael. i mean, her good friend of many, many years hadn't even been put to rest yet. she's trying to have dinner with
9:13 pm
a couple of friends of hers in a private, quiet setting. people are throwing cameras up in her face, asking her, you know, very personal questions, and they're not being, you know, respectful to a grieving person. >> larry: dr. arnold kline, her former employer and michael's dermatologist, he had this to say about debbie and michael's relationship. now the debbie rowe part of the story, she was your nurse, right? they met at your office? >> yes. >> larry: was that a real love affair? >> i don't know what love is. in that sense of the imagination. i think that she loves him very much. she admired him very much. was that a love affair? you want to know. i think she really cared about his welfare, i think -- >> larry: it was not a sexual relationship? >> well, i think they did have sex. >> larry: you do? >> yes, i really do, i can't guarantee that. but i think they did have sex in their relationship.
9:14 pm
>> larry: marc, what do you think? is that a loving physical relationship? >> well, i mean i'm a friend of debbie's and quite honestly it would be totally inappropriate for me to make any comment about what their relationship was when they were a married couple. as far as in the bedroom, i mean i can say that i know there was deep affection, like i said before. debbie was very close to michael many many years. at this point it's 30 years. there was a true, true love there for michael. >> larry: what do you think, marc, is the biggest misconception about her? you know her as well as anyone. what don't we know habit her? >> debbie is a wonderful caring person. what most people, you know, seem to forget. debbie doesn't run out to all of
9:15 pm
the social events, you don't see her shopping on rodeo drive, not hitting the hot spots, not trying to be in the limelight. debbie is just as happy at home in her very modest, humble, horse ranch. she spends time with all of her horses and her dogs, you know, if one of her horses is sick, debbie will stay up all night long caring for them. she'll sleep on the floor in the barn with a horse if he's not well. >> larry: we'll be right back with more of marc. by the way, i want to see your comments on the bottom of your screen, go to cnn.com/larryking, click on the blog, start typing and we'll share some of your thoughts later in the show. more with debbie rowe's friend mark in 60 seconds.
9:16 pm
we're with the former business associate of michael jackson, long time friend of debbie rowe. what do you make of the outpouring that's followed his death? what do you make of this commotion?
9:17 pm
>> well, you know, i mean it's really a shame like everybody says. it's too bad it had to take his death for people to realize, you know, what an incredible performer michael was. at the end of the day he was an incredible humanitarian and he was just an absolute musical genius. nobody could ever take that away from him. and it is very sad that it took a tragedy like his death for people to come out and support michael again. >> larry: we've all seen the incredible video, i'm sure you have, of his final rehearsal. if he had lived, marc, and done those concerts in london, do you think he would've come back on top? >> yeah. i mean, i think michael would've gained a whole new audience. every time i speak with people, and they'll tell me their kids will start to hear michael music and they start to dance.
9:18 pm
i have a very good friend, a 6-year-old nephew is dancing to, you know, "billie jean," "beat it," and "thriller" all the time. and he was in a position to gain a whole new audience. >> larry: many people, including his ex-wife, his sister, say michael didn't expect to live to a ripe old age. was that your experience? >> you know, we did have conversations like that at some point in time. i mean, i don't want to get into too much of what we said, but you know, i can tell you one of the fears michael had sometimes, you know, we were in new york city quite a bit working on one of his albums "invincible," and fans would hide places, jump out. most had great intentions, but michael's had a few scary experiences with fans and he's said to me several times, you know, i don't want to end up like john lennon. >> larry: what do you make of
9:19 pm
latoya's accusations about foul play and murder? >> well, i mean, i can see a family member being very upset. i think the source of where the interview came from, when you look at it it looked very exaggerated. to think there was this big conspiracy, it would need to be followed up with a simple fact of who was benefitting. i mean, you know, michael already had his deal with his atv catalog. they didn't stand to make any difference whether michael, you know, passed away or survived. and the people around him that maybe she was accusing of this, you know, if there was a will that popped up that was done two weeks prior to this happening, okay, there might be merit to think there was a conspiracy, but from what's going on now, nobody around him would stand to benefit from his death. >> larry: yeah, marc, thanks,
9:20 pm
come back home. >> thank you, larry. >> larry: the guys who know a thing or two about celebrity child custody cases are here. the lawyers are next. that's whu know we've adjusted a lot of the different processes we have in place such as rolling out more innovative products to really meet the needs of the customers. we actually move with the economic times. customers who maybe have lost their jobs, we're looking at waiving fees for them. we've introduced add it up. our risk free cd. it's one stop shopping for all the answers they're looking for. you just kind of have to learn to, just you know, just be there. that's how we keep moving. while i was building my friendships, my family, while i was building my life, my high cholesterol was contributing to plaque buildup in my arteries. that's why my doctor prescribed crestor. she said plaque buildup in arteries is a real reason to lower cholesterol. and that along with diet, crestor does more than lower bad cholesterol,
9:21 pm
it raises good. crestor is also proven to slow the buildup of plaque in arteries. crestor isn't for everyone, like people with liver disease, or women who are nursing, pregnant, or may become pregnant. simple blood tests will check for liver problems. you should tell your doctor about other medicines you are taking, or if you have muscle pain or weakness. that could be a sign of serious side effects. while you've been building your life, plaque may have been building in your arteries. find out more about slowing the buildup of plaque at crestor.com. then ask your doctor if it's time for crestor. announcer: if you can't afford your medication, astrazeneca may be able to help. and keep the economy going? it's the local pizza guy that needs to pay his supplier for the dough. during these times when you think most people would roll over, small business owners figure out a way to fight, and i just love being part of that kind of a team. we are able to provide customers with ways that they can keep their business running and profitable. and to really help them...
9:22 pm
help them get through this tough time. committing small business specialists like myself to the community, i think that speaks loudly to what bank of america thinks the heart of the community is - the small business. >> larry: three guys who know the territory. mark geragos returns, the defense attorney who represented michael jackson in the child molestation case. neil hersch, child custody expert, his celebrity clients include kim bastinger and denise richards. the former circuit court judge who presided over the court battle of anna nicole smith's
9:23 pm
remains and her final resting place. all right, mark, what do you make of this new york post story that debbie is asking or is supposed to get $4 million or back out of the custody? >> as much as i'm a great believer in free press, i've had the experience twice within the last three months and probably ten times in my career where there's been a story in the "new york post" about a client of mine that i knew demwas false. and they give the same reaction as here. my guess is that you'd have to take it with a grain of salt. >> larry: neil? >> i agree. i don't see any basis for her to try to extract any money from -- >> larry: wouldn't she? suppose she had never showed an interest in raising them. suppose you were her attorney and she said to you, you know, can we get something out of this? i'm just -- that's a hype thetic. >> i'm surprised she hasn't already asked for custodial rights if she was intending to do so. the father of her children has passed away. what parent waits two or three
9:24 pm
or four weeks to decide whether to take the children? if you're interested, you make your move quickly. i don't think she's interested. >> larry: judge, how would you look at this if it were in your court? >> i would do this. this amount of money, $4 million is tip money. this state's going to receive over $1 billion and going on for a long, long time. so it would be silly to even put that amount out there. >> larry: and how about custody? does she have a valid case if she hasn't paid attention but she's the biological mother? >> yes. there's two primary parties in this case. there's debbie rowe, who's the biological mother. under normal circumstances, she would have the first ticket into the courtroom, and then the second major party is michael jackson's mother, the caring grandmother of the children. >> larry: and what you're saying is you have to wait to hear the story? >> i -- well, at this point, the
9:25 pm
strongest case is for the michael jackson's mother to receive the children, to be the guardian of the children. and debbie rowe's position is weaker because in the past she's shown a pattern of being given a sum of money to walk away from raising those children. but she's being unfairly slashed in the media because she tends to look like just a strong individual. and it's unfair that they're slashing her every moment. >> larry: mark? >> well, my experience, i'm certainly not going to be an expert ever or hold myself out to know anything in particular about family law. i will tell you based on observing those kids and observing their interaction with grace and with katherine and grace is the care giver that i can't imagine any judge who is -- as long as the situation is the same as it was years ago when we were involved in the child protective services
9:26 pm
investigation, why you'd ever give these kids anywhere but with grace and with katherine and let them raise them. these are very well adjusted kids, very smart and i think people are impressed by paris. i was impressed by paris five years ago in how smart and attune she was. >> larry: neal, you're in court all the time, be a judge here. >> well, i know this judge very well. >> larry: who is the judge? >> mitch becklof, very concerned about the children's welfare. and that's going to be his primary focus. we have to realize two points. one, there is no custody fight yet because until debbie rowe says she wants custody, that's it, katherine jackson's getting the children. if debbie says she wants the two eldest children, that means they're going to have to break up the children. if so, if debbie says she wants the children, there's a custody fight. if she had no relationship with the kids, it's no different than you or i asking for custody.
9:27 pm
she's a stranger to them. and in that circumstance, katherine's getting these kids hands down. i think it's a 99% chance debbie's going to ask for custody, i don't think she will, and i think it's almost impossible she gets them. >> larry: does his will mean anything? >> there is just a suggestion, it's not controlling. >> larry: what about the mother of jackson's youngest child? does she have a legal claim to blanket? we'll ask that next. who can give you the financial advice you need? where will you find the stability and resources to keep you ahead of this rapidly evolving world? these are tough questions. that's why we brought together two of the most powerful names in the industry. introducing morgan stanley smith barney. here to rethink wealth management. here to answer... your questions. morgan stanley smith barney. a new wealth management firm with over 130 years of experience.
9:28 pm
9:29 pm
>> larry: judge, what if blanket's mother comes forward? >> i believe no judge in america is going to split up these three children. and you'd have two of the finest lawyers in the country sitting next to you.
9:30 pm
but one of them to mention that they're going to split up the three kids, no judge is going to do that. as you know, i wore the black robe for a long time and made life altering decisions every day, they're going to keep those children together, the statutes say it, the law says it, and that's the way it will remain. the other mother may come forward, but the best position is by michael jackson's mother and then debbie rowe has a good position. >> larry: okay. mark has -- >> mediating that case. >> i'm not sure, i should have looked that up, i could have anticipated that. i know there's a family code section that says there's no parental rights for a sperm donor, is there the same section for a surrogate? >> there's no doubt in my mind that there's a contract in this case and the biological mother of the youngest child has zero rights, she's not a factor in this case. there's no one who has a surrogate --
9:31 pm
>> larry: michael was able to arrange to have a surrogate mother bring him a child and that's done all the time? >> all the time. all the time. >> larry: single men can do this? >> married men can do this. >> anyone. and the idea of them having give up all rights is to avoid these problems later on when someone says gee, now, i'm here. >> larry: is that the same law in florida, judge? >> it's all over the country, larry. we have a modern family now, and the modern family is we have egg donors, sperm donors, we don't want to tear the fabric or the community apart and say who's the father, have a woody allen movie. who's your father? if someone says they're married and this is their child and present to the world it's their child, we're going to assume that and presume that. and we don't want to go against that. and therefore, those two children are michael jackson's children, and in california, if you have these children and you present them to the world for more than two years, there's a very strong presumption they're your children.
9:32 pm
and the one thing here that's a fly in the ointment is i wish joe jackson, his ego was a little bit softer because he's throwing fire out there by claiming he's going to become the manager of these children. he should just be the grandfather for these children. >> larry: couldn't debbie rowe, if she makes -- all hypothetical, we don't know what we're talking about. none of us -- keep it up, that's never stopped us before, why stop now? >> why are we going to start now? >> larry: couldn't debbie rowe come forward and say -- hey, wait a minute, the grandmother with the grandfather not even mentioned. there's a riff there, a whole problem there. >> that's something that's probably, i think, an issue with any court case. somebody can always come up and they can always say x, y, or z, or abc, this is the problem. whether that's going to fly is something else. >> katherine was very smart, applied in her own name on the paperwork it says the address of
9:33 pm
joe is unknown or to be provided, actually. so she has separated herself from joe and the reason is obvious, in michael complained about how his father treated him, there's no court that would want or condemn these children to that same environment that michael himself loathed. >> larry: how about their age, though? >> the parents? >> larry: yeah. >> this would be important if someone else comes up to the plate and says i want to have these kids. if a competent member of the family, one of the siblings says we're younger, we're stronger, we'll be here longer, we want the children, then the age is a factor. but right now, there's no one stepping up saying i want these children other than katherine. she has a loving long time relationship with them, and unless someone other than debbie rowe pops up -- katherine's getting them. >> you've got a family that looks to be united. >> larry: judge, how is a judge trained for something like this? >> well, hopefully your life experience, your time as a lawyer, and your time on the bench help you.
9:34 pm
but you have to take control in this case. this judge is going to have to take control of the case, separate fact from fiction, and every decision this judge makes has to be in the best interest of those three beautiful children. >> larry: i agree with that. everyone agrees with that, neal -- >> the u.s. senate wouldn't. they don't want the judges informed by life experience, they want the opposite. so even though that's the reality -- >> larry: anyone in life separate life experience? >> no, they can't. that's why the whole sotomayor thing is so silly. >> it's true. you've been watching that, you talk about this. the fact is that any judge when making a decision is like anybody else. their life experience -- >> larry: you desire to be fair? >> all judges have life experience. the louisiana thing i want is a judge who went straight from law school to some civil service profession who got appointed. i want somebody who is either in private practice or made a payroll or had some life experiences. >> larry: we have an interesting point next, gentlemen, think
9:35 pm
about it. do the children have an attorney? do they need an attorney? next. arthritis pain, you could end up taking 4 times the number... of pills compared to aleve. choose aleve and you could start taking fewer pills. just 2 aleve have the strength... to relieve arthritis pain all day.
9:36 pm
9:37 pm
>> larry: neal hersh, should the children be represented? >> at this point, i don't think there's any need for that because no one's been making a contest from -- >> larry: when would they be? >> if there was a contest that got very heated and there were allegations as to who the children were bonded to and there was such conflict that the
9:38 pm
judge felt he needed an advocate -- >> larry: he could appoint one? >> yes. >> larry: let's take a call, los angeles, hello. >> caller: hi, i want to know what is the proof that exists that states that ddebbie rowe i biological mother of the kids? >> larry: what is the proof? >> caller: correct, it's always been assumed -- where is it proved she's the biological mother? >> larry: there must be somewhere. >> weren't they married at the time? >> larry: they were married and they have the children appear, one would assume people saw her pregnant. >> and there was also a judicial determination that she is the mother. >> larry: could be surrogate, right? >> well, i don't think she was. i can't answer the question as to the exact proof of that other than there's no doubt legally she is the mom. >> larry: judge seidlin, this is not open and shut is it? >> no, this case will have more turns and twists than a roller coaster in neverland. the court's going to have to have a strong, take control of
9:39 pm
this case, separate this fact from fiction. and i believe that the lawyers are going to step to the plate and they're continuing to negotiate right now. and at some point, they might even go to mediation. >> larry: if michael, mark, all of this is hypothetical, if michael knew he was going to die, let's say tomorrow, could he have prevented this? could he have done something legally? >> no, i don't think legally you can ever divest the court if there's a battle from making a decision. you can skew it, i suppose, you can set things up. >> larry: like his will says? >> you can lay things out, but you're not going to be able to will your children to somebody. >> the court always has the right to look at the best interest of the children no matter what people say. and that's their job and that's what will happen. >> larry: judge, would you listen to the children in this case? would you ask their opinions? >> absolutely. the children, i would listen to
9:40 pm
these children, i wouldn't even do it in camera where it's outside the presence of everyone else. i would have it in front of everyone. i would have the children speak. but you don't want a position where whoever gave the last toy to the child that child then says i want to go with that individual. but i want to speak to the children, they are absolutely vital to the overall scheme of things. >> larry: would you do it, mark, in front of the -- >> no, i think almost every judge would say i'm going to do this on camera. >> larry: but he says no? >> well, i think most judges would take them on camera. i don't think -- >> a criminal lawyer. >> exactly, we like -- >> larry: camera means -- >> judge's chambers. >> there's no doubt in my mind this judge will not have the children spoken to in the public forum. and the reason is they're already this huge spectacle. could you imagine what would happen -- >> larry: you know this judge? >> very well. >> larry: if it is a custody battle, will he talk to the kids? >> i don't think he'll do it directly. he'll either do it through a
9:41 pm
mental health professional or through an attorney for the children. >> larry: why? because they would do it better? >> yes. basically, they have more time with the child, their children at issue and they can get more information than he can. >> larry: judge, family court decisions are appealable, aren't they? >> oh, absolutely. and this is family court and probate court are courts of equity. therefore anybody can come in if they have an equitable position. the court will listen to these children. i always like to do it right in front of the parties. so they saw and heard everything i was doing. now the court can do it in an open court and just remove the media from the courtroom. and that's what the judge might do. and i did it that way. >> larry: now, let me get a quick call in. richa richmond, virginia, hi. >> caller: obviously any woman would sell their children is insane. and i was just wondering, would the judge consider debbie rowe's mental status?
9:42 pm
>> larry: well, if she sold them already, oh, you mean previously selling them? >> right, and you can order a mental exam of any litigant, you know -- >> larry: she's getting a bad rap here. >> well, she's been vilified already based on stories we don't know are substantiated. >> on the other hand, as i said before, if she was really interested in getting these kids, she should have been at the courthouse doors the day after he passed away. >> larry: thank you all very much. stimulating stuff, although hypothetical. >> very hypothetical. >> another celebrity pundit fest. >> larry: and geragos with his throw in on the supreme court throws that in. mark geragos, neal hersh, and larry seidlin. go to cnn.com/larryking, let us know. we could be reading your comments. we'll be back in 60 seconds. revered luxury sedan. t this is a history of over 50,000 crash-tested cars... this is the world record for longevity and endurance.
9:43 pm
and one of the most technologically advanced automobiles on the planet. this is the 9th generation e-class. this is mercedes-benz. this is the 9th generation e-class. know-it-all... expert. a guru. how about wu? wu will do. where to? first stop... peru. vincent wu to katmandu. what's next? timbuktu. area code 212. so, timbuktu, katmandu, peru, and 212. all by half past 2:00. not a problem. [ female announcer ] need an expert? push a button. that's the human network effect. learn more at cisco.com/newways. phew! >> larry: you know you've got something to say about our show tonight because you've been burning up the blog. here's our david with your comments about michael jackson
9:44 pm
and more. david? >> larry, we are talking all things michael jackson on the blog tonight. it's a conversation happening at cnn.com/larryking. we're talking mainly tonight about this custody issue of michael jackson's children such as you just were with the panel. and of all of the thousands of responses that we had today on the blog, one really caught our eye i'm going to share it with you. somebody named christina. she says this, i hope the children stay with katherine jackson since that was michael jackson's expressed wish. she goes on to say i'm sure they can find a healthy peaceful co-existence for the sake of the children. that's happening cnn.com/larryking. before we go, remember this date. keep it in mind, august 29th. the place is london, august 29th, would have been michael jackson's 51st birthday, the 02 arena where he was supposed to have all of the concerts. can you believe, larry, that the concert promoter behind that concert may well do a tribute show to michael jackson on his
9:45 pm
51st birthday. now, larry, you've seen a lot, but would you say if i told you that the headliners may be diana ross, stevie wonder, justin timberlake and linel ritchie. >> larry: who is going to hope? >> here's another thing, we don't know who is going to open. but what would you say if i told you the jackson brothers and maybe even janet jackson would appear? >> larry: i think they might sellout. >> what would you say if i asked you for your credit card so i can go over there and cover it for the blog, larry? >> larry: you got it. you have my card, you can go. i'm paying and not cnn, right? >> this is from you, larry. it's your blog, i'll take the credit card, i'll cover it down two weeks, maybe three max, larry. >> larry: you're going, that's it. you're going. have a good time. >> the concert promoter may do this. he's making the rounds today, making the rounds across the web today. those names, by the way, have
9:46 pm
not confirmed. that is what the concert promoter is saying would be his wish. and he has, in fact, said according to some quotes in some articles on the web today that his hope is to have the jackson brothers and even janet jackson perform in o2 arena for this tribute concert on what would have been michael jackson's 51st birthday. nothing confirmed, and we've got the story on the blog cnn.com/larryking. >> larry: and i assume you want a round trip ticket. >> i'm telling you five weeks, larry, that's it, five weeks. >> larry: tough staff, i have to live with them. carlos and jim are back next with the latest on the autopsy results after this. ld be lurking, waiting to strike. a heart attack caused by a clot, one that could be fatal. but plavix helps save lives. plavix, taken with other heart medicines goes beyond what other heart medicines do alone to provide greater protection against heart attack or stroke and even death by helping to keep blood platelets from sticking together and forming clots.
9:47 pm
ask your doctor about plavix, protection that helps save lives. (female announcer) if you have stomach ulcer or other condition that causes bleeding, you should not use plavix. when taking plavix alone or with some other medicines including aspirin, the risk of bleeding may increase so tell your doctor before planning surgery. and always talk to your doctor before taking aspirin or other medicines with plavix, especially if you've had a stroke. if you develop fever or unexplained weakness or confusion, tell your doctor promptly as these may be signs of a rare but potentially life-threatening condition called ttp, which has been reported rarely, sometimes in less than two weeks after starting therapy. other rare but serious side effects may occur. (male announcer) if you take plavix with other heart medicines continuing to do so will help increase your protection against a future heart attack or stroke beyond your other heart medicines alone. you may be feeling better but your risk never goes away. help stay protected, stay with plavix.
9:48 pm
9:49 pm
>> larry: anderson cooper hosts "ac 360" at the top of the hour. we understand it's barack obama part two, right, anderson? >> that's right, my exclusive talk with president obama in west africa and ghana where for hundreds of years countless africans were killed or shipped into a life of bondage in america and elsewhere. it was an emotional experience for the president, sasha, and malia. he takes us behind the scenes what happened when his girls met the pope in rome. and michelle obama's family's roots. where her family believes her great, great grandfather was born into a life of slavery. also tonight, the michael jackson investigation, cnn has new video of the coroner removing documents from the office of dr. arnie kline. we'll tell you what that bodes for him and for the investigation. and jackson's security detail, the head of it is also speaking out to ran di kaye. those stories and more on the murder of the florida couple ahead tonight on 360.
9:50 pm
>> larry: the always interesting, anderson cooper, "ac 360" "ac 360." our dynamic duo returns. what is the latest on the autopsy, jim? >> we are expecting the results next week. >> larry: this is not the definitive? >> this will be the definitive. the toxicology reports, everything, the final conclusion to cause of death and the fact that the coroner's office went to the doctor's office today indicates they still want more information. >> larry: brain not returned to the family, right? >> it is portions of the brain. he hasn't been buried yet. >> larry: where is the body? >> we are hearing forest lawn, could be in berry gordie's crypt. one thing that needs to be talked about is diprivan and
9:51 pm
propopol is the same drug that they say michael was addicted to, because it is not written as a prescription, it is not prescribed to people, it is going to be tough to track this because it's not -- you are not going to follow a paper trail. there are lot numbers they have to look at. because they are lot numbers it is not a specific doctor. it is basically if they have the vials and recovered the vials in the house you have a lot number. they can track it to the hospital but not to the specific doctor to how michael got that. that is the monkey wrench in the entire situation. >> larry: what do you make of this dr. kline thing today? >> that was a weird interview. it was strange for him to say to the best of my knowledge i'm not the father of those children. clearly they want more information. the coroner today says extensive cooperation. they didn't say full. >> larry: describe what he did
9:52 pm
to michael the nose and the like. is that allowed. can you say what you did to a patient? doesn't privilege last after death? >> yes. it is public record he had his nose done. nobody is surprised or going to sue over that. clearly they wanted more documentation. >> larry: what do you think? >> there are so many fassetts to this story. the children, the drugs, the tip of the iceberg. the real fight is later with the estate. when we have to talk about michael left the estate to two different people. katherine filed paperwork wanting more control of the estate. that is why they want this custody situation taken care of as soon as possible. you don't want to be fighting for the estate and a custody battle. more with jim moret and carlos diaz. to stay in tune with life after 50,
9:53 pm
i switched to a complete multivitamin with more. only one a day women's 50+ advantage... has gingko for memory and concentration... plus support for bone and breast health. just what i need. one a day women's.
9:54 pm
9:55 pm
>> larry: carlos this time. celebrities running around in panic because doctors are not giving them the drugs they are used to getting. >> larry, this is the wake-up call for celebrities they cannot -- doctors are human beings. they are awe struck, in awe of celebrities. i've seen it with doctors that are friends of mine. this is a wake-up call. we saw it with anna nicole, heath ledger. we are seeing it with michael jackson. this is an alert to doctors if you prescribe celebrities drugs that they don't need and something bad happens you could be held responsible. >> larry: do you think, jim, some addicts are going nuts now?
9:56 pm
>> yeah. fame is intoxicating. i think people around hollywood are finding it harder to get what they need, but let's be serious. if you have money you are going to get what you want. that is the problem we are seeing here. >> hopefully it is going to be harder. that is what i hope comes out of this case. they to the letter of the law go after these doctors who may have prescribed michael jackson these drugs, diprivan, they should not be in anybody's home and hopefully this is -- i hoped this happened after heath ledger. apparently, it didn't. >> larry: is joe jackson a villain? >> he is being vilified. his statements are inappropriate. your own record company and putting your grandkids on stage. >> larry: would you, if the jackson guys wanted to do an act now, they would be a big booking. >> if they could get janet to be the lead.
9:57 pm
if they could convince janet to do some kind of series of shows at o2 arena in england. 50 may be too many, janet involved, ten shows. does janet need it. >> people heard jermaine saying -- >> larry: could the brothers be a big vais acts? >> sure. >> larry: if i owned a hotel i would grab them. i would book them. >> that is the one thing we haven't heard from. we haven't heard from the brothers. after jermaine talked to you at neverland they have gone away. you wonder what their next big move is going to be. >> larry: why don't others come out? >> others. >> larry: brothers. >> i think the family is grieving. >> larry: these parents have lost a child which is the worst thing that can happen to a parent at any age. >> to see it every day, it must
9:58 pm
be very difficult. >> when he passed it was this big commotion, michael jackson is gone what is the next move this and that. now it has set in, wow, he really is gone and he's not coming back and we've lost a great entertainer and a great person. >> larry: do you expect based on latoya's statements? >> if diprivan was in that room and they find the doctor, yes, a criminal investigation. i don't think anything latoya jackson says is going to influence the investigation. >> larry: she is sum mizing, isn't she? >> she thinks there was foul play. >> we heard from the l.a. police chief. they are looking at a homicide investigation, criminal investigation. >> larry: the fda, looking at doctors. >> looking at doctors. like we said, from what we understand michael jackson had
9:59 pm
dentists involved as well. there were rumors dentists were involved as well. it is a long stretching investigation that will not be solved tomorrow. >> it is not just the depth, it is the long-term misuse and abuse of prescription drugs. >> larry: how much legs does this story have? >> like i said there are so many facets, the children the custody battle, michael is not in the ground yet the fact we don't have the toxicology report, the estate. we will be talking about this story for months to come. >> we still talk about elvis. he is the elvis of our generation. >> larry: imagine if we had the communications skills when elvis died. >> exactly. you made a great point. the jackson family is in -- the one thing they are enjoying from this is the amount of income coming in with no money going out. >> larry: thanks, guys.

288 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on