Skip to main content

tv   Anderson Cooper 360  CNN  October 19, 2013 3:00am-4:00am EDT

3:00 am
>> a good movie. >> he didn't [ mute ] it up. >> no. www.vitac.com this is "piers morgan live." welcome to the viewers in the united states and around the world. the two florida girls drive this 12-year-old to suicide but should their parents be held responsible? >> i remember telling her, becca, don't listen to them. you're beautiful. they are jealous of you. and she would say well you're my mom. you have to say that. >> it's the bullying tragedy everyone is talking about. the sheriff at the center of it joins me. politics after the shut down, is cruz in charge and will obama care ever work? i'll talk about it all with gloria allred and more. the republican party
3:01 am
retreats, hillary clinton's chances in 2015. >> the people at her rally will be chubby girls years from now. the two tv stars join me. we begin with the big story tonight, the shocking story out of florida where 12-year-old rebecca was driven to decide and the girls are under arrest charged with felony aggravated stocking. police say one of the accused girls wrote on facebook yes, i bullied rebecca and she killed herself and idgaf. short for i don't give an expletive. welcome to both of you. sheriff, let me start with you, this is a pretty awful case and also ground breaking case. let start first of all with the
3:02 am
decision to deal with the two girls and then the wider issue of parental responsibility. give me your view in terms of both of those parts of this story. >> well, piers, this went further than bullying. this was stocking, and it occurred over about a ten-month period. interventions were tried by the school and by the victim's mom to no avail. at that point, law enforcement had to step in, and that's why we made felony criminal charges, because if this can't be taken care of at home, certainly the system has an answer. >> now, obviously, we know that lots of kids around this age with social media and facebook and twitter and so on, they do tend to be pretty unplease tent to each other. where does it move from that to the severity of what has happened here, in other words, where there is a genuine risk that somebody may take their life? >> well, they were saying stuff
3:03 am
like go kill yourself, go drink bleach and die and this was just what was online. the 14-year-old victim actually over this period of ten months calls the 12-year-old suspect to fight our victim rebecca. so it was physical taunting. it was -- they terrorized her, they intimidated her, and it was a long-standing feud, if you will, that wouldn't stop. so as a result, we had to do something because obviously, our suspect, who was 14 and our victim who was 12 was -- were constantly at each other but most importantly, our victim was beat down. she just wanted to -- wanted this to stop and on the very last day of her life, she texted a friend of hers and said, i can't take it anymore. i'm jumping. i'm going to kill myself.
3:04 am
he didn't tell anyone, and that's exactly what she did. >> she climbed a tower at an abandoned concrete plant and cut her wrist in a failed suicide attempt and absolutely appalling story. let me turn to you mark o'mara, if i may, about the issue of parental responsibility and the law. where does it lie at the moment, and where do you think it should be? >> unfortunately, there is not a lot of responsibility put on parent's shoulders for the way their kids act online. we know if a child gets ahold of a parent's gun, the parent is responsible or car. the parent is responsible to get the kids to school on time. the internet is brand-new. wonderful tool that be that can be used for good but because it's so open, it could be used for some bad. the kids are not old enough to understand. they have grown up in a video age where you just push a reset button and start over again. parents have to be more diligent and vigilant.
3:05 am
they have to teach lessons that were obviously not taught to these two girls. >> we have a policy at cnn not to identify youths but they have been made public and received extensive attention in their hometown media. i want to play a clip of the parents of the 14-year-old girl. they go by the names of jose and vivian. let's watch this. >> my daughter is not the type of girl to do something like that. >> i grabbed the computer and i took it to my mom, because that's what we've been doing. we take the computer to the room and the other time she could have used to send this message was my cell phone, and my cell phone is always with me. >> i always check her facebook. i know her password, you know. she -- she never once, you know, bullied this girl online.
3:06 am
>> sheriff judd, it seems highly i'm plausible the parents are telling the truth here. we've seen clear from the evidence we've seen that girl did indeed online bully this poor girl rebecca. but let me put this to you which is a wider issue. i got four children, three sons of 20, 16 and 13. i can see what they put on twitter or i can see facebook posts perhaps, i can't control what they are sending in private messages because i would have no knowledge of that would access to their computers or their cell phones. how do you regulate as a parent going forward, do you think, in light of this awful story? how do you regulate what you can't get access to? >> piers, you can get access to it. if that's your child in your home, then you need to take control of that child. i hear people say oh, my child needs privacy. no, your child doesn't need privacy when they are a juvenile, they absolutely don't. that was the problem.
3:07 am
then vivian says they would never do that. i monitor their facebook. well, we arrested vivian this afternoon for a different case where she was beating on children who she had in her custody who we can't identify by law. so why she's telling the national media that that would never happen, we have a video clip that was posted by one of her daughters about a beating that occurred and obviously, she didn't monitor that very well because that resulted in her arrest this afternoon. >> i want to play another clip to you, mark, and then ask you how you think the law should change. this is where owe jose and vivian talk about responsibility as parents. >> i don't think it's fair for me and my husband to be punished for something they are saying my daughter did and my daughter is being punished for something that she didn't do. >> now mark, obviously, you
3:08 am
know, justice will take its course here in relation to the girl and what she actually did. the evidence seems pretty clear that she was bullying this girl rebecca. we'll see if that all in the end is what happens in court and if there is a conviction. in terms of the parent's attitude there, it is difficult. i don't want to be massively fair to them because i feel much more emp threaten tick to the family of this poor girl that killed herself and at the same time, having had, you know, three teenage kids, how far can you really say parents have to be legally responsible for every word they may post on social media? >> i don't think they can be for every word, but if a parent acts in a way in my opinion is grossly negligent and law enforcement and i want to congratulate sheriff judd for what he did in this case f a parent doesn't act in a way which is responsibility and act in a way which is grossly neglect and ignore a child's internet presence, that's
3:09 am
ignoring if a child is carrying a gun or have the keys to the car. we have to put responsibility where it lies on the parents. my suggest says if it can be proven in the court of law that a parent act in a grossry neglect way not being properly super vicing over the child and the child commits an act of danger or harm to another, then the parent should be responsible. i'll admit it will be difficult to draft and enforce but sheriffs like sheriff judd have to have this tool to go to a parent and say you're going to be responsible. that's the punitive side. the positive side is we're coming up with positive ways to allow parents, educate parents how to properly super vice their children online. it's not impossible. it just takes some effort by the parents. >> sheriff, i guess, the obvious reaction i would have to that is it all sounds great and i'm totally in favor of what mark is trying to achieve, at the same
3:10 am
time, if i knew one of my kids had access to a car, especially under the age to drive one, if they had access to a firearm, whatever it may be, i see you go and take away that object from them and it's quite clear cut but what do you do about laptops and cell phones? i mean, do you expect parent whose have concerns to confiscate those? how far do you take it? >> piers, i absolutely do, and i think mark is on the right path here. we're not talking about a singular event. we understand all of us who raised teenagers understand they do silly things that they shouldn't from time to time. but in this event, this went on for a period of ten months, so at what point do parents have criminal cupbility? they already had moral responsibility but in the home, the parent is the first defense for protecting their children from being bullied or doing the bullrying. and parents have that
3:11 am
obligation. there is no fourth amendment right preventing a parent from searching their electronic device and parents should and after all, if the children don't want to go along with that program, take the device away from them. it's more important to be a good parent, they shouldn't be their good friend, but they need to be a great parent. >> and let's just end i think by reminding everybody that in the end that the girl accused to be the main tormentor here posted this comment which said yes, i bullied rebecca and she killed herself but idgaf, which means i don't give an expletive and i think that says it all really because if that was one of my kids, i would frog morning them straight to the nearest police station and let justice take its course and the fact the families don't see that responsibility or the need to take that responsibility is ultimately to me negligence. mark o'mara and sheriff judd, thank you very much indeed. >> thank you, pierce.
3:12 am
coming next, gloria allred, and more and politics coming next. e best thing about this bar it's not a candy bar. 130 calories 7 grams of protein the fiber one caramel nut protein bar. the fiber one
3:13 am
3:14 am
3:15 am
she should be here. she should be here to see justice getting served. i really wish that people would have listened to her a long time ago and looked into this when it was going on and we were reporting it. i believe becca stopped telling me about it because she saw how much i was trying to get something done and nothing was getting done. >> talking about her daughter's suicide and the alleged type of bullying that led the 12-year-old to jump to her death. the two girls accused of harassing her are facing felony charges.
3:16 am
lanny davis author of "crisis teals" gloria allred and alan. gloria allred, very a motive issue, isn't it? your heart breaks for the family and this poor girl who felt the need to take her life. at the same time how should the law deal with this going forward because kids will be kids, not to this disgusting extent, but they will be up to various forms of bullying online. what should the law do? >> it's very much missing from this conversation and that is a whole lot more support for the victim of the bullying or the stocking or both. and that means that the victims need to be able to go to someone
3:17 am
who has experience in helping victims of bullying and stocking to counsel them, to give them adequate support, to help them to cope with this and to make sure that they are there throughout this ordeal, that the victims are suffering so they know they aren't going through this alone. >> alan, what do you think the law should do. it's a very complicated area clearly because as mark o'mara said, if you're dealing with a car or gun, it's obvious but when you deal with online bullying, what is the best sensible law to frame a law that can deal with it? >> it's very hard because you have to balance freedom of speech and expression against the needs of a victim. i had an experience like this. my son when he was 10 years old had a serious surgery and he was bullied by his classmates after that, and the parents of some of the kids encouraged the
3:18 am
bullying, and they really, really scapegoated him and we had to fight back, and it was very, very difficult. people say look, kids will be kids. other people say look, when somebody commits suicide there must have been other underlying causes. my son was able to fight back. he had a strong family support. he had a strong support by teachers and classmates but making a law, a criminal law in a blanket way holding parents responsible would be a mistake prohibiting all kinds of statements on the internet would be a mistake. we need to strike an appropriate balance. it not easy. you mentioned my book taking the stand. i tell the story of my son and the bullying and how heroically he fought back against the bullying when he was 10 years old, but not everybody has the resources to do that. >> lanny davis, what has changed is technology and it doesn't just apply to online bullying. it applies to online stocking, online threats, all sorts of new
3:19 am
men nances can be done in the clock of secrets, without anybody else knowing, computer to computer, phone to phone. we see these cases all the time now. what do you think should be done? is your thinking on all this from your crisis point of view? >> well, first of all, i have a 15-year-old and an 8-year-old. my 8-year-old recently experienced something that was resolved between me and this young boy's father who took a very strong stand with his son and we ended up solving it directly between the two boys and the father's intervention was the most helpful way of these parents that i just saw in denial, rather than being very, very sympathetic to the victim and angry with a daughter that would post i don't give a -- whatever the word was. i don't think there is nothing that the law can really do that
3:20 am
i can see that can criminalize the behavior of children and i'm pud it to parents. i agree with alan that's a very tough legal standard. not everything can be solved by the law but transparency in letting other people know about these parent whose are reckless and not taking a stand maybe the transparency and publicity about those parents will be one way to detour that type of behavior. >> piers -- >> i'm sorry, gloria, yeah. >> i would like schools to take more responsibility in this. so that if there is a designated counselor in school and every student is made aware of the counselor that they can go to, if as and when they are bullied and also if it's reported to law enforcement. if law enforcement will provide a counselor that will give victim support to a victim of a crime or a potential crime, then at least the victims know where they can go, if they can't go to their own parents or don't feel comfortable in talking with
3:21 am
their own parents, they got somebody to report to, an experienced person who can be there to help them through it. >> final word to you allen, which really will tee off the next segment, you have to leave i know. i want to ask you about this before they get into it, a segway into the political shut down and senator ted cruz. your comments to me sparked a big debate, you said at harvard one of the most brilliant students you had. given the choice between being reviled in washington and appreciated in texas or opposite i take the former 100 out of 100 times. is that your man from harvard? >> yes, and that's exactly what i said on your show the other night. don't try to discourage him by telling him he's hurting the republican party. he cares about his constituents and the ideal logical people that support him and thinks of himself as a man of principle
3:22 am
and he is. you have to defeat him on principle grounds so i challenged to debate him on your show as to whether what he was doing was consistent with the values of the constitution. i do not think what he did was consistent with the values of the constitution, let him defend himself in the marketplace of ideas. >> i would love to get senator cruz and allen his old mentor sitting on this show for an hour. wouldn't that be incredible -- [ overlapping speakers ] >> can i pay for that? >> i'm going to make that happen if it kills me. allen, i know you have to go. thanks for joining me. we'll talk more about senator cruise. a fascinating guy in many ways. is he potentially a man that can make a run for the presidency? we'll discuss that next.
3:23 am
3:24 am
3:25 am
3:26 am
given the choice between being reviled in washington d.c. and appreciated in texas or reviled in texas or appreciated washington, i would take the former 100 out of 100 times. >> senator ted cruz to abc news, the man made blame for shutting down the government but is he the gops best chance in 2016? back with our guests. what do you make of senator ted cruz? too easy to dismiss him as a renegade. he's smarter than that. what do you make of him? >> beware of people who dismiss him and i grant him sincerity and i'm a great believer in
3:27 am
assuming somebody and disagreeing with views but if democrats are under estimating this guy, i remember my day, may his soul rest in peace, under estimating a movie actor in california under so far the extreme right he was e leading for him to get the nomination, ronald reagan. the republican party that nominates candidates and he's extremely bright and i have some respect for him even though i completely, 100% disagree with him, think democrats make a mistake demonizing him. >> gloria allred what do you make of him as a man, as a politician. when you look at him, he's come out of in where seemingly. are you impressed what you see here in terms of the way he conducts himself? >> i think he's very bright but unless the gop is on kind of suicide mission where they would like to go up in flames in the next election, i would say that they are not going to nominate him for president, that he does obviously represent a lot of
3:28 am
people in the tea party and some people in texas who are also very conservative but i don't see him getting the nomination. i think there is a lot of scar tissue among the gop right now because he led them down a path of where they really taking a big hit in the polls, and i think there is going to be a long memory of that when it comes to the nomination for president of the united states next time. so he can posture. he can pander, and he's very bright, and he's very, you know, interesting, but that doesn't mean that he is going to be the nominee next time. >> i mean, lanny davis, interesting thing i think going forward will be obama care and the debate about it because frankly, if the republicans had not tried to defund it but focused more on ignoring shutting down the government but going after the president on obama care, the moment it started because it started so badly, they may have been in a very strong position now because obama care may have many good points to it and i certainly
3:29 am
feel it does in bringing 11 million people into health cover that wouldn't otherwise have it, but in terms of the way the machinery works, the system itself it's a disaster. >> well, it's pretty early to declare obama care a failure because the software in a brand-new system of websites that are supposed to cope with 27 million people signing up is going to have it's problems. i do think it has been some level of delay that is hurting the obama care credibility. i would say that senator cruz, gloria, with all due respect is going to be toucher than -- i certainly agree with your views of him but i respect that he sincerely believes obama care is bad policy, and the policy debate on obama care you may recall in 2010 we lost the congress because we lost that debate and i do want the president to be much clearer in his message, talking about
3:30 am
crisis management to take the lead in the deficit and reducing the deficit the way president clinton did and to explain the president obama system is a private enterprise system. it's not socialism. it all private insurance companies operating on an internet website with a marketplace called conservative market forces. the president isn't a good messenger when it comes to his own program and he's allowed ted cruz and others to declare it a hopeless disaster when it's really in the early days and i hope we get through these early days. >> gloria -- >> the president won't be a messenger next time. hopefully he'll be a supporter of the democratic nominee. there is no secret i would like that to be hillary clinton. i think the president has come out okay despite the government got shutdown, i don't think most people are blaming him for that and as more and more people do get insured and appreciate the fact that they are now insured,
3:31 am
even though they had a preexisting condition, i think affordable obama care, the obama care program will be more and more popular. >> that may all be true, gloria, but as everyone knows and lanny, you specialize in crisis, when you launch something if you have teething problems that's one thing but in a month's time and the system cannot cope and is simply just not working, then senator cruz will have an absolute field day and the cause he set up in his name effectively over the last two weeks, all be it in my view recklessly shutting down the government but in terms of him and his standing with the more right wing members of the republican party, you got to say he could be looking very pretty in a month's time if obama care still isn't working properly. >> i agree there are going to be difficulties and he'll look better and better if those difficulties aren't solved but i agree with gloria on two things. first of all, sooner or later it
3:32 am
will dawn on the american people they can go to bed at night and not worry about health insurance if they lose their job or have a preexisting condition that makes them uninsureble like social security had a hard time getting off the ground. the person will carry the day as our next president to make sure that this national health care system is a success, is my friend hillary clinton. so we share that, gloria. >> and many other issues other than health care in the next election -- >> there is -- >> ted cruz and hillary clinton -- >> gloria, a final question about secretary sabiliuos. should she still be in her job? >> i think we need to correct the system to make it easier for people to have access but no, removing someone from their job doesn't solve the problem. i just think the republicans are looking for a win and some
3:33 am
vindictiveness because they just had a loss on the government shutdown but i don't think taking her job is the way to go. >> thank you both very much indeed. >> thank you, piers. my interview with ann and what she thinks is really wrong with the gop. [ male announcer ] if you can clear a crowd but not your nasal congestion, you may be muddling through allergies. try zyrtec-d®. powerful relief of nasal congestion and other allergy symptoms -- all in one pill. zyrtec-d®. at the pharmacy counter.
3:34 am
3:35 am
3:36 am
3:37 am
washington is back in business again but the political fallout from the shutdown is still on going and as congress reach add deal ann coulter joined me to talk about what is right and wrong with both parties. she didn't hold back. her book is "never trust a liberal over through, especially a republican." let's talk about ted cruz. what do you think his strategy will be? do you think it will be as simple as monday morning, right, obama care here we go because we got other stuff out of the way? >> we need to teach republicans we need to win elections. i go through some at the begins of the book. i mention one now. was that a good idea to run christine o'donnell against mike castle. delaware hasn't voted for adele get in 18 years. there was a stolen election in minnesota.
3:38 am
we had the three guys mulling about abortion and rape and running candidates who could never win in west virginia and connecticut because they wanted to line pockets. >> should the party move more tea party conservative or is that hazardous in a general election because the country, if you look at the polls on things like gay marriage and so on, they are not with the republicans in that category, whether you would love them to be or not. >> first of all, i dispute that. about 36 states have voted. the people voting on gay marriage and they respected it. 36 states, including oregon, including california. >> the majority of the polls say americans are now in favor of it. >> that's probably a poll of all adults again. >> you can't criticize all polls. >> i can when there have been 36 state votes. i think we know what americans think on that one. there may be some issues where you can tell me a march jurorty -- >> my sense is younger people in particular who president obama
3:39 am
is good at galvanizing in elections -- >> i think the obama magic goes away -- >> you do? even hillary clinton? >> only people fainting at her rallies will be chubby gals from now. >> do you think she'll be the democrat nominee? >> i think it will be a rerun of -- sorry a new york reference but another christine quinn. we were told inevitable, inevitable, she's an ex mayor and people voted, i don't think so. >> who would you most fear on the democrat side? >> obama. once you take him out, i think as long as we don't run todd aiken we're doing just fine. >> who would you like to see running as a republican nominee? who is the most electable right now? >> that remains to be seen but please republicans, no more inspirational leaders. no more congressmen. no more -- >> what about chris chris christi. he's popular. >> yeah, of course -- >> could he win you in an
3:40 am
election? >> if he were the republican candidate. >> your book makes it clear, we can have all the red rick and passion we like but i want to find somebody that can win -- >> you're thinking that means run more as a liberal. >> no, i'm not putting words in your mouth. >> but. >> who do you think can exercise your desire to have a winner? >> i'm not sure. i want to see them in debates. we have senators including mike lee, love them, let's see how it shakes out but your point on tea party, less tea party, it varies from state to state. they have incredibly conservative democrats you never hear about. mark prior you just had on from arkansas and marilyn drew from louisiana. where is emily? are they down harassing? they know this is the best we'll get in these states. why are our tea partiers, it's not tea partiers, why are they going and demanding purity from republicans in a state that's a liberal state?
3:41 am
it's madness and not thinking about winning elections. >> i can quibble about state by state but in the end republicans have to show unity when they fight a general election and last time, you basically had again the division of the tea party and moderates. you can see exactly the same bubble beginning to bubble up again. you have a male sarah palin, i think a much more formidable version of sarah palin -- >> ted cruz? >> ted cruz. >> isn't he the king of the tea party where she was once queen? >> i don't see the analogy but i love them. >> my point is do you think he could be more electable to a wider cross section to win the nomination of republicans? >> we'll see. it's very possible. look, there will be arguments in a party of ideas, that is one thing as i point out in this book, democrats have an advantage. all they want is power. they spend their lives figuring out how do we get elected?
3:42 am
conservatives and republicans -- >> and republicans don't do that? >> no, look at how we do elections, we lose all tossup elections -- >> on that bombshell let's take another break while i calm down and have another cup of coffee. the stars of will and grace, what they say about the series that vice president biden says changed america's values. and later, meet a veteran that lost his legs but still thinks he's the lucky one. an extraordinary man, a cnn hero.
3:43 am
3:44 am
3:45 am
3:46 am
introducing cardioviva: the first probiotic to help maintain healthy cholesterol levels without a prescription. cardioviva. 15 years ray go the ground breaking series "will and grace" hat nominations and lasting i'm packs. here is what vice president biden said about the show. >> i look at when things really began to change and the social culture changes. i think "will and grace" did more to educate the american
3:47 am
public than almost anything anybody has ever done so far. >> an extraordinary tribute there. joining me are the emmy winning stars, debra messing and eric. great to have you. >> thank you. >> what a moment. were you watching that live or did you hear about it? >> did you see it live? >> did. i started to cry. i mean, i think it was like the proudest moment of my life besides the birth of my son. >> really? >> yeah. >> and it was gradual because we never wanted to take that credit during the show. >> right. >> we just wanted to be a funny show and not take it seriously. nice to know we planted seeds. >> i mean, not just planted seeds but a pivotal moment really when vice president biden made that comment. a pivotal moment in the whole debate in america about gay marriage. he was the one that actually went faster than the president. >> that's right. >> and took the president with him. and to think to get a name check to a comedy show on television as being in his eyes a fundamental part of the debate process really extraordinary.
3:48 am
>> particularly when it's off the air for sometime. there was no cultural cash shay at the moment to bring us up except to give -- for me there was a lot of criticism early on about my character that perhaps he wasn't gay enough or neutered or safe for america. we said instead of running around and sleeping with guys he was looking for one man to love turns out is a much more dangerous idea to americans than we realize. >> 15 years ago, can you believe that? >> no, no, i can't. i mean, we've seen a lot of little clips today and one of them was from the pilot, and i honestly, had a flash back, and in my body i felt like it could have been five years ago. >> let's look at the moment where will tells grace that he's gay, key moment. >> see, there is this one tincey complication, not so tincey. >> are you hungry.
3:49 am
>> i'm gay. >> what? >> are you hungry? >> i'm gay. >> what? >> i'm -- [ laughter ] >> when you said those words, when you're a straight man so you're playing a gay -- >> right. >> character did you have consense to the debate we discussed but to you and to your career? >> the time we did that episode we were three seasons in -- i think it was three. >> it was three. >> so we had done 48 episodes where gay was just taken for granted. that's who he was and that's who jack was and the women in their lives accepted them for that. to go back and do a flash back to that moment where this woman had been in love with him and we had a straight relationship on, i think was unconsummated but to realize how huge it was for the character was one thing but to say that out loud and it was coming out for him in a way and
3:50 am
particularly in terms of being safe. >> i think for the audience it was meaningful because there was enough time that had passed that they had fallen in love with the character of will and really started to invest in his happiness and had fully had fully accepted who he was. so to flash back to see that pivotal moment just made it -- it was a very special moment. and it was also the surprise. they didn't know that we were in love and engaged at any time. so that is we willy the big surprise of the episode. >> when you see the impact that i had, and again going back to the biden clip there, when you look at washington and the ridiculous shutdown of the government and the squabbling over the debt ceiling, all this stuff we've all had to endure the last two weeks. do you think there should be some kind of show on television which does for the washington dysfunction what ""will and grace"" did for the gay marriage
3:51 am
debate and the gay rights debate? >> i mean, absolutely. >> it's very ripe. >> it's what the market will bear. it's still a very divided country. and if people show up, then that's your answer. but it is hard, certainly in network television, to do what we did. certainly cable television gives somebody that much more latitude >> yes. i think cable tv, you can be more provocative. i think on network tv there was "the west wing." and it was extraordinary and extraordinarily successful but it was obviously divisive. it was watched by all democrat liberals. >> right. at the moment it seems like there's completely different worlds, doesn't it? washington and the rest of us. shaking our heads saying what the hell is going on. deborah, you just revealed the extraordinary drama that went on before you got to this studio in which you cheated death. >> that's how important you are to me.
3:52 am
>> i am truly humbled by this. >> i just had to make it here. through thick and through thin. yes. we were running out of my apartment and all herded into the elevator to come. and all of a sudden we started to go down, and then it dropped a floor and a half. and we all screamed. >> a floor and a half? you properly plunged. >> oh, we -- we grabbed each other. >> you're with your son, roman. he's nine years old? >> nine, yes. >> how many people are in the elevator? >> there were nine of us, eight of us, something like that. and luggage. >> did that have something to do with it? >> it could have. >> were you exceeding the legal limit? >> it could have. it's a very old building, so perhaps that was a problem. >> i was napping, and i almost overslept. almost. so everyone's got their trials and tribulations. >> what are you up to at the moment? >> i am about to start rehearsal on my first broadway play. >> fabulous! >> yeah. >> does it have a name? >> it does.
3:53 am
it's called "outside mullengar" that's a place in ireland. >> best of luck with that. eric what are you up to? >> i'll be starting on the third season of "perception" on tnt. starting a film with parker posey in seattle. so that will be fun. >> are you enjoying life after ""will and grace""? do you look back at it with fondness? do you miss it? >> sitcom is not like anything else. it's like a little play each week. if the writing is as good as we had, if the crew is as much fun as we had. we had jimmy burroughs directing every episode. >> it's heaven. >> fun all the time. >> the energy is like this. you have to get the show together in four days. you have to make it funnier and funnier and you know that's what your job is. >> you were pretty successful at it because it ran for eight seasons and is was bloody funny. congratulations. great to meet you both. >> great to me you, too. >> celebrating the 15th anniversary of "will and grace"" with mini marathons going on
3:54 am
through the end of the year. thanks to you both. >> thank you. >> we'll be right back.
3:55 am
3:56 am
3:57 am
3:58 am
now one of the top ten cnn heroes of 2010. dell beatty lost a leg in the war in iraq and is now helping disabled veterans get the help they deserve. >> i'm a disabled veteran. as i was recuperating at walter reed people came and said they wanted to build a home for me. >> people would come and work on my project because they respected the sacrifice i had gone through. all veterans have been taught to be responsible for the guy to your left, the guy to your right. other veterans haven't had it as easy as i have. i sat down with my battle buddy
3:59 am
john, and we decided to even the playing field. i'm dale beatty. now it's my mission to help other veterans get the support and homes they neat in our communities. >> there's thousands of veterans right here in our midst. people don't realize the need that's out there. our homes can help any disabled veteran regardless of their age or war. >> this is the young man why we're all here today. >> it's just getting the community engaged to get a home or foreclosed home and rebuild them. >> i had to crawl in on my hands and knees. to have them build a whole new bathroom was unbelievable. >> we want to make their life easier, safer and better. their emotions are being rehabbed as well. regardless of when you serve, we're all the same. they jt need to knowhat

300 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on