Skip to main content

tv   Book Discussion on Falling in Love With America Again  CSPAN  May 11, 2014 4:15pm-5:19pm EDT

4:15 pm
remote lay in the effecting speculation from depositors than traditional banking activities. >> next on tv, jim demint discusses how we can fix our social and economic problems. he argues that they will be solved in washington and solutions will have to come from communities around the country. this is about an hour. [applause] >> jim demint. [cheers and applause]
4:16 pm
>> well, good evening. welcome to the national constitution center. how is everybody tonight? you know, we are being filmed in multiple venues both live and life to save. heritage is carrying us live tonight on your blog. e.g. now that that, senator demint? c-span recording us for a future broadcast. thanks tactility to getting to and let people notice exactly how we do things. were not open bar, cash bar. a must of our sales people are. are you ready for this tonight? is great reason under demint here in philadelphia. [applause] i want to thank our sponsors tonight at the wet shirker by mina by shortsighted.com. the constitution center who has been the most fantastic post
4:17 pm
4:18 pm
in other words, the richest foundation is doing in two nisi what i believe just a block away our founders intended out of washington d.c. to do. >> that is why we are there. [applause] you've got a great voice, so you should consider being in radio. my mic must not be afflatus yours. >> east itv hair. [laughter] >> heritage has been around 40 years and they were instrumental in getting me interested in running for public office in the first place. a 47 years old at ever run for anything. i got frustrated with washington, was tired of the television set. i was reading heritage backgrounders because a friend of mine who's a professor had at the next fellowship. i started in the connection between public policy and the things they care about. i found out i was sick as their
4:19 pm
bidets. i thought it was just an american, their breeding not hope manders and what political stripes really believed in. the house of representatives from a circuit that once i got to the senate he started heritage action and could actually make the phones ring when i was trying to stop legislation. it's the other organization that left the senate. >> is one of my first questions. you are somebody for this unit is the kind i count myself as one. you work for your congress and frankly when i heard you're the united states than it did 2012, early 20s are, i thought how can we lose him? how come they go? nationwide your real force. is it purely heritage was that big of a draw to you? i hear them say a band, done
4:20 pm
that the system. the mac i wasn't burned out. in fact on this encouraged the 2010 i would not the structured work today a number of states other countries the country such as pennsylvania. >> by the way you might recall a certain 2010 election were certain jim demint endorsed a guy -- what is his name over another guy? i think you endorsed a guy named pat to me over then senator specter if i'm not mistaken. you were not on a limb there. last night >> i did and i was lectured pat to me couldn't win pennsylvania and we needed to support moderate. what i found all over the country if voters want a moderate, they generally vote democrat. what we need is inspiring conservatives and folks who understand that ideas make life better for people. i went on a limb not just for pat, but in florida for rubio at grandpa when i just have been on
4:21 pm
enough to realize we could change the sentiment so we change some of the people who were there. once that happened after 2010, i saw that all the pressures of washington are cutting the legs out from under a lot of these guys and i'd seen during 2010 if you were not out of washington and engage people directly with a good message in good people coming up to do what everyone said was impossible and that encouraged me. but i realize we could not win the debate in politics. i could make a little bit of a difference in helping to elect them out stopping bad legislation. we've got to be in a position to pass good legislation, to turn our country around. so heritage for me had always been a centerpiece of the conservative movement. they had the intellectual integrity of the research in the right ideas. they started heritage action to build a grassroots network and keep washington more accountable. there's so much pretense in
4:22 pm
washington and heritage action has a scorecard in hopes people see what's going on. some people hate them, which is good to be hated in washington in a lot of cases. >> to your credit, "politico" has identified you as the most hated man in the. so congratulations. [applause] >> well, i hope you don't feel that way yourself here tonight. >> about the book who cares. >> if you like your washington you're part of the problem because everyone there is real cozy with the status quo. i shouldn't they everyone, but the system is definitely holding onto the status quo. when he tried to change it if they did with your instant i found out half the lobbyists in washington were there to get your marks and they were not happy when we banned them. >> your marks, one of the central tendencies in your book he devoted a whole chapter to
4:23 pm
federalism, the very concept born here in philadelphia. power to the individual communities, state, yet the concept of earmarks really that in a huge way, did it not? >> it did. we were supposed to look up to the nation washington. this made everything parochial. people came to washington to get money for their states and back in the state is coming from the federal government and need to have to pay for it and it exacerbated the mentality we can just keep spending and spending. both parties used it to help their folks stay elected because he go home and said and sat the $5 million for a bridge or this for your museum and that was what most of congress was about. >> this is how they say people hate congress but love congress because congressmen and senators come home into the ribbon-cutting and they slap their name on the outside of it.
4:24 pm
>> we got away from the concept of what's good for america. little of the debate was about how we make the country better and stronger in the future really change the mindset of those who were representing people back home that the idea was to actually take federal money bring it home. that is not the concept of the constitution. i've heard people use the idea that congress has the power of the purse strings. they do within the enumerated powers. there's only certain things we should be doing in washington. you mentioned federalism. not too many people know what the word means anymore. tell the federal government but that original constitutional idea the federal government would be limited. the constitution was a compact between the states to limit the federal government and otherwise leave the states free to operate, compete with each other and he was never envisioned that the federal government would be
4:25 pm
centrally controlling most aspects of our economy and society. >> which of course brings us to today's news. here we are a day after the deadline for obamacare right today they celebrate in which flag. 7 million people magically fell out of the sky onto the website. it is all phony, jim. you know that. >> it's an april fools joke. [applause] >> yeah. but this is the thing for those of us in the particular part of the country talking about tom corbett and chris christie, these are two governors that one has wavered a bit, but is still held a somewhat firm an extension of indicate. it isn't that conservatives are cruel and heartless and don't want to hope the poor, but all know when you open that door and start accepting as federal matching funds for the first few years come and there you are. you're tied inextricably to the
4:26 pm
federal government and you thought controlled your state. >> you have. over the years the federal government while education programs and a sense of hope here like medicaid and food stamps for instant if the states don't even have to pay much of a share at all. what is free money and is seen as economic development. so much of the state budgets are federal. they all know the date the federal government. mark do them want to be independent. we see that with the projection of medicaid. now more and more rejection of common core. it was another care at its stream where were dangling this is voluntary. a lot of flexibility. the teachers unions would be allowing it if it had any flexibility at all for this days. so i am encouraged this case i realized that the only way to save our country is for states to push back. they had the power to come
4:27 pm
together. for instance, school choice is flourishing in other states. they have to act. pennsylvania will hopefully be the next work place freedoms they follow in michigan and was confident. that type of thing pushes back against the federal government to get some of the gravy train for the democratic party. we write about a lot of those examples, particularly energy development. pennsylvania is benefiting from that and so are states of north dakota. >> wises so radical and during the presidential debates and i know. kind of fumbled the answer when asked what three departments would you eliminate. you know, it is strange, but it also seems jarring to people that don't pay a lot of attention to you today. when you talk about them in meeting the government like education or the epa, some people just bristle as though
4:28 pm
you've taken the lord's name in vain. >> we have to convince people we are for education and the show them as they them about the book time after time the real strides in education are happening at the state level, not the federal level. the federal government and teacher unions are not trying to help the students. you see that in new york. you see what the d.c. scholarships. this is helping poor minority children and the evidence is so clear. it is so clear it is beginning to unite the right and left around the country. one of those issues we need to bring more in the spotlight as conservatives. it goes back to federalism. we need to get control out of washington about the we do need to remind american because we don't want the federal government to do it means we want it done. >> you were in when the devastating whirling out of nowhere, john roberts rules obamacare tax that's rendering it a law of the land and now here we are today tried to unwind this thing.
4:29 pm
the question on our minds is cannot be unwound? even today, this is overcome the is settled. l. daley, former white house chief of staff is on the networks today stated over. this will never be undone. they are even seeming republicans will take control of congress. we will still not in the republicans is that they are saying now. what do we do? >> i hope it is not true because in some ways it is giving up on what is essentially american to accept socialized medicine. that is the design of obamacare is we know what is going to basically fell apart in the private health insurance market cannot work under this regimen. so in a matter of not coming you are going to hear more calls for a single-payer system with the government will essentially control all of it. i think there is a good opportunity here with the
4:30 pm
selection to use obamacare is a teachable moment for this country. >> this hour the presidential election are >> or both. it will depend what republicans can do if they do take the majority in the senate to at least delay the part the president has delayed slow this thing down to allow the private insurance market to survive another two years and to give states alternative to face. if we can buy some time until 2016 where we get a good president elected, this can be unraveled. it is going to be hard, but if we don't unravel it, you will have what you have in other countries for their socialized medicine. a two-tier system. the people's money look at real health insurance federal health care and those who don't will end up on medicaid style plans for the doctors really don't want to see you coming because they lose money when you come. >> is a major portion of this book it that way.
4:31 pm
in chapter really come you talk about.or speedometers. the forward in this book is by a gentleman who's just a guess here last night down the road, dr. ben carson. he wrote the forward. he has been stellar in the subject. but he is one of the guys out there. he is the canary in the coal mine. look, neurosurgeons like me, the smartest and best among us, what we are building here we post me from the system. >> it's hard to get guys like him to go to school until they're over 30 years old with hundreds of thousands of dead in order to be something that the bureaucrats will control how he practices medicine. so what is going to be harder and harder to attract the best and the brightest. ben is an inspiring speaker. fortunately had the pleasure to speak after him this year. it was kind of like i the air
4:32 pm
out of the room after everyone got up and cheered. but his story in the beginning is a great story of how the little platoons in america helped him. he grew up with a single mom in poverty with a lot of racism in that community. but his neighbors, his church groups, or allowed him to grow up in a good environment and become what he is today. it's a good testimony the government can do to help dr. ben carson succeed. >> you mentioned little platoons. use that phrase often in the book. you may not jump stewart's show, "the daily show." this is a two-parter. basic the little platoons in the second part in a minute. john stuart picked up on that statement in the idea of communities solving problems. he didn't come faq artfully to the worst, played a little bit of a sickly nietzsche found as
4:33 pm
though you endorsed community at this time. and that is what the left has magically appeared you talking about churches and civic groups helping one another in small communities. he turn into that is what barack obama is. >> he organizes to get something from government. americans organize to do things themselves. we noted that when he came out for the early 1800s. he was almost done but american side problem for telling the government to do it, they found a few friends and neighbors as well the problem themselves. so it is not only what works. edmund burke is the platoon pointing out that is what creates a section for each other and the public affection for the country. you really don't develop a love of country from the top down. he developed from those people closest to you in your life in
4:34 pm
appreciation for the country that allows that to happen. the main point of the book is reminding americans we were the only country in the world, at least a country the size that is built from the ground up. we were not built from the top down or controlled from the top down. that is why we were so prosperous and innovative in why we could have diverse population in the world live together in harmony most of the time because you and i can get a law and care about each other and disagree on everything besides i don't have to believe what you believe in you enough to believe believe what i believe. once ideas are forced down the throat by the government you don't like me in the government doing it. that's what happens in america today. politics is dividing us. this president divides us into groups and please want to give the other. when there's a one-size-fits-all, some succeed
4:35 pm
and unfilled to some resent it. when we are all forced in the same health care system, it doesn't work for a lot of us. if we allow a lot of choices among people can live together and have the public affection that edmund burke talks about that makes the country so vibrant. >> there is an instinctive desire for people to manage their own affairs locally. i don't know if the last in this particular administration has created she said the gloom and despair and desperation and some people feel like the only possible answer can't be me, can't be my pastor, can't be my city council. it's got to be big daddy washington d.c. >> trying to convince people that left on your own you can survive, that these big special interests are going to take advantage of you. the rich people will take advantage of you. we have to show them a better
4:36 pm
way. part of the book, examples all around the country or government doesn't help the little guy. he doesn't help the middle class, doesn't help the poor. basically the big government helps the rich. i know this from experience. when the doors closed and those were written in washington, the little guy is not in the room. when medicare part he was for it, the pharmaceutical companies were in the room. when obamacare was written, it wasn't to help uninsured. it was written by the big insurance to me semitic hospitals who thought they were going to get a windfall when every american was forced to buy products they didn't want or need. and we see probably new york charter schools closing is just a great example of the pigs aren't in it for the students. it is the teachers union, the government that are working together not for the benefit of
4:37 pm
the students, but for the benefit of themselves. there is a reason that seven of the 10 richest counties in america aren't moshing cindy's v. and it's not because they make a lot of stuff. it is because big government fosters other big senate concentrates wealth in the hands of the view. >> either way, how many of you have been to wash in d.c. recently? have you noticed? i just went. it blew my mind. is that one of human major cities in the country where they are robust? it looks like 1997. it's like the gold rush in washington d.c. >> it is. government is growing bigger than it has ever been in the plan is to keep going. but when power concentrates, so does well in the job for you bill supposedly to protect the little guy from the big creditors was written mostly by the big wall street banks who
4:38 pm
caused the problem. they wrote it in a way that made it hard for community banks to succeed. it happens all the time. a lot of the lobbyists working with regulators create these regulatory regimes and make it harder for competitors to compete with. they are not doing what they say they are doing. i hope the book will do is convince americans to stop electing people regardless of party who say they will go to washington and fixing some washington are the only what washington fixed things is to push power, dollars and decisions out of washing and that where it belongs to the states and the people. i think we have an opportunity to do that because as we point out in the book, the successes in our country today are all around us in the states that are promoting more choice in education, kids are getting a better education. states developing there and
4:39 pm
energy, pennsylvania has joined in that. you see prosperity abounds. even private citizens with samaritan health services insuring themselves. there are solutions and we don't need to bring things to washing and where they don't work. if it worked, chris, we could sit down and have an honest debate of whether we want washington to do it for the state to do it. you'd be hard-pressed to find any federal program working efficiently as promised. >> youth vote. millennialist, whatever you want to label them, today i made a big deal about this on the show. i don't know whether anybody picked up on it dimensioned bill daley, former white house chief of staff earpieces in an unbelievable to me on live television this morning. he admitted what we all know, what you could run an ad to millennialist today on college campuses i think on a dime millennialist return. he says i am paraphrasing,
4:40 pm
although i know the economist has an obvious type of young people probably don't have a bunch of it, there's got to get it from you. you got to buy health insurance policies. he said so older americans like me can reap the benefits. those were his exact words. i thought if you told a twentysomething on a college campus, some bald guy shows up and says i know you don't have a bunch of money, but give it to me so i can run off into the sun set, that is the story. that is how you get young people in the back of the side of conservatism. >> you are right people on the heels of the most ripped off sugar ration. if we can just communicate that. i must want to tease him a little of a thank you for not paying attention. all of this debt we have run up during my lifetime, you get to pay it back with a lower quality of life, fewer jobs. you know, my social security and
4:41 pm
medicare, we spent everything i put in there. thank you that you will work all of your life to keep me. same with obamacare. it is all based on getting young people, healthy people to buy insurance they don't mean to help those born for. some people say that's a good thing. young people should pay their share. if you talk to young people about what they want, they want the freedom to choose and they don't need to be giving a need they don't have. they need good jobs, better education. they need to create their own opportunities, successes in their life to benefit from their work. we can't put everything we need on non-peers so far they are voting for the cool guy and they are getting ripped off. >> to that point, back to "the daily show," the other thing i wanted to ask and i said i would. we talk a lot about comedy and
4:42 pm
pop culture in the troubled conservatives have had and some that are struggling mightily in some successfully to start permeated pop culture machine. he made a conscious decision to go on "the daily show" with jon stewart, extraordinarily hostile to the heritage foundation, republicans and the senator from south carolina, yet you went. he went and sat there. a lot of guys would. he went. why did you go? is important for their videos? >> i feel like i always to his audience to talk about the ideas i know will make their life better. and frankly sickened by promises and failed promises of the left track people independence be blocked the schoolhouse doors and better schools to give younger kids, particularly minority kids an opportunity. i am tired of their lies and
4:43 pm
misdirection of issues. so they made me, but think they jon stewart has a reasonably good and asks his audience to be respectful. i don't think to win a debate there because that is not allowed. the audience looking on me if i say some thing to good. it was pretty funny. i don't know if he saw the first part of the show, but they said that your intimate will be with us. he bet the senate because it was so bad he went into a tank to think. [laughter] it went downhill from there. but he enjoys the discussion and i enjoy it and my goal was just to show that i did abhorrent. i wasn't completely crazy and could be reasonable because what his audience and a lot of young people need to see if an alternative to this terrible disaster they are getting from the left. there's no alternative to letting america looked at
4:44 pm
detroit. right now, so many people are disagreeing with almost every single thing the left is doing. but there was no mob vote for the other guy because they don't believe the other guy cares. i think i'll start not by winning the argument, by showing up. it seemed that in places i've gone to speak to the hispanic chamber of commerce, south carolina and i know they don't necessarily think they agree with me on issues, but they appreciate you showing up. >> uvula conservatives care if anything on the side of being too cautious, just avoiding showing up for his maybe 50% of it is just walking in the room. >> best part of it. those shows are designed to make you look bad. >> forgive me, but when i think about the new and walking to a setting with a host of the things that everybody, don't beat them up too badly. please welcome jim demint. i don't know that i could do it.
4:45 pm
>> i thought it was worth a try. i didn't have a lot to lose. they went reasonably well. i want to try to do more of it. we had meetings all over the country, meaning for the normally don't vote for us. what excites me is to talk to people who don't vote for conservatives, but they agree with us on almost everything we talk about. the importance of a good, strong economy to create opportunity. most people agree there should be no guarantees for outcome. >> the other, ron paul was the rapid youth follow windows two guys have? i think they are different, that young people unlike any other republican i've seen, there seems to be a core excitement about this then with the last name paul. what is it?
4:46 pm
>> just antiestablishment. just not following the status quo. not delivering the party line and showing a willingness to be independent. there's a lot of good in the libertarian fall. some conservatives are afraid of libertarian ideas. frankly the foundation of libertarian conservative ideas is very much the same. >> where is heritage on my? du thread that needle? i know you don't identify the party. >> we don't identified by party, but the idea of individualism, less government, less debt, some reasonable controls of the sum federal reserve. there's just a lot of commonality and i think you find libertarians like ron paul who value life and leave a strong culture and strong family are key. not all libertarians but mold of
4:47 pm
just being anti-social issues. but i think there's a reasonable debate we can have on foreign policy with libertarians because we know what heritage without american strength, the whole world becomes destabilized. we see that right now with the weakness of the president. it destabilizes the whole world and people will continue to test us until we are brought into a war we don't want to be impaired at the same time americans are tired of unnecessary intervention in the naïve thought we could translate our way of life, the all around the world. we have seen that doesn't work. we have to protect ourselves, our interests around the world. the best ways to not be entangled all over the world. i find when i talk with rand paul there's a lot of defense, but there's still some can learn because we know the best way to stay out of wars is to be so
4:48 pm
strong that no one is going to test you. and so committed that no one is going to test you. i think we saw that with ronald reagan. basically he convinced the soviets he was determined to develop a missile defense system and a defense system that was so strong it could destroy. while i think this president thinks human nature has changed in the last couple of decades, i think mr. putin and showing him otherwise. >> i'll ask you about the political apparatus because you come from that world. you think enough to stick around and signed a book tonight. you've got to catch a train back to d.c. other witches told me if i may share backs age. i didn't know this but it makes me love mrs. demint even more. mrs. demint never moved in on your political career, she refused to move to washington d.c. she said in south carolina where she stays today.
4:49 pm
i love that. i love it. that thing, that although we talk about on talk radio time, that is real. they leave this particular homesteading and they go there is very made by parcel of land that run every six years. they are not even creatures other than standard environment. >> when i ran for office space that i'm going to limit my term. i didn't want to become part of it. frankly it helps you once you are there that you know it is not a career. you already counted yourself up. it is like a sprint where you can see the finish line. give it everything you've got while you're there and you're not taking let's wait until after the next election. when they said that, i said i don't have until after the next election. we need to do it now. >> what is the heritage term? what is the jim demint position on term limits?
4:50 pm
>> i don't condemn folks who don't limit their own terms. for me, it was important for my own peace of mind to just decide with myself i am not going to become a permanent fixture in 10. i still think it is the best reform that can happen. it's not quite happened in washington first. it's got to happen at the state level. a number of states have done and i can tell you from visiting the legislature would they have turned limit, while it is not a perfect scenario by any means, it is much better than those who grow instead get tied in with the lobby community. you don't get people like marco rubio pushing their way up to the senate. he was speaker of the house in florida at 35 years old. he was term limited out and wanted to serve florida in this country. what it does is push right young people into federal office and makes it harder for the old guys
4:51 pm
to defend themselves. we saw these people like rubio, cruise, rand paul, to me, they knocked out. >> you know, i think the cruise filibuster last year where he read the green eggs and ham and the whole thing, i think dallas personification of the institution loathing anyone dare showing up in challenging, regardless of the republican, they hated the guy because he was upsetting their cocktail party. that's what it was. >> i have to admit not miss the senate at all. when i turn on the tv at 2:00 at night and saw him standing there, i really wanted to be there with him. >> in my right, even among former republican colleagues, there were some and i could name them and if i have to come to not to make you. they watch that guy in they can't stand him. >> yeah, there are. fish is a preference for the
4:52 pm
status quo. they want those are thief done and howard mays see you come shake it up on and take a weaker marks and start pointing out that we can't keep raising the debt limit. we can't keep spending money. it starts getting people upset. you know, if ted couldn't leave washington and land anywhere in the country, they would already have cut his legs out from under him. fortunately he has mark lee to support him and some others. these guys take a lot of grief. when we take on both parties, like my wife told me one time she was reading the paper and she said jenn at the republicans disagree with you and the democrats disagree with you, have you ever can get it that might be wrong? [laughter] but i don't inso. >> here's the thing i hear from the conventional wisdom folks. they say standing on principle is one thing. but you have to be able to govern. there is the succession was we've got to get things done. it's not enough to just stand up
4:53 pm
and fight against it. you got to do things and if you're just going to throw a monkey wrench in problems and cause a big scene, what have you accomplished? you've got to do some thing that we have to govern, jim. what do you say? >> i have not seen a bipartisan compromise in many years had actually moved the country in the right direction. it doesn't really exist anymore. as i was talking with supporters earlier, it is no longer a compromise for the good of the country. we are making deals. closing the doors, most of it in secret. the players are in the room. you get something for you. i guess i'm in for me in the american people get the thought. so every deal now spends more money, expands government and the only option republicans have if they want to stop it is just to say no more money, mr. president. that's the only option they have when they close the house. i'm so you can't do that.
4:54 pm
americans will hate republicans if they do it. but if you've watched the polls, first time in many years they started climbing from republicans after the government shutdown despite everything they said. >> is they are a justifiable anger among conservatives towards party leadership in washington? again, i don't mean to name names so i won't, but you know who they are. a lot of us don't particularly feel they are very fact that we need new leadership. at a part of the problem? are people right to be angry? and are they right to even potentially large primary changes out there? >> i'm angry and i am disappointed and i think primary circuit. i didn't like them when i was in office and believe it or not in south carolina seven times i was called a moderate and people would try to get to my right.
4:55 pm
i made it harder and harder for them to do it over the years credibly anyways. but i think what we owe it to ourselves and one of the reasons i am at heritage is to stop complaining about republicans. let's go out and lead. let's win the debate with the american people ourselves. it's what you do every day on the radio. we have to convince americans that are ideas make the future brighter, country stronger, economy better. once we do that and we have to understand how to communicate, which we have not done a good job of. it's a new priority at heritage to make sure we understand not only what the right policies are, but how to communicate to people. not just our base, the people who vote the other way but generally poor at best funny ideas. i'm convinced we can win the debate that the american people and the politics will follow. just like in 2010, republicans
4:56 pm
nothing to do with the tea party. as a matter of fact, the leadership in washington didn't even like it. the only election he won in over a decade has been because of the tea party. grassroots group of people who work in there and battered country have been blamed for everything that goes wrong in washing it and they don't have anything to do with it. what we want to do is start another parade like that. working with mike needham at heritage action and other folks around the country, let freedom ring. our job is a conservative movement. [applause] our job as a conservative movement is to start the race to minoan politicians will jump in front of it once we started. we have to convince them that they can win elections with the right ideas. right now consultants tell them you've got to pass this to win hispanic vote, and assuming the women vote amnesty when the win the public minority vote. you don't win votes that way. you win by being genuine talk about opportunity for everyone
4:57 pm
in this country and not dividing people like the other side did it and convinced we can do that. [applause] last question in the senate, you and i were talking about the make up of the senate, how many legit seats you could turn from democrat to republican. are you optimistic? the huskies in republican hands. it has to be pretty seismic do not. what do you happening to the senate follow up demand while? >> i want to make it clear we are not advocating a republicans. we are not partisan. they will carry the conservative message and we certainly come whenever any candidate uses ideas we are happy about that. but i think you're going to see despite criticism of the republican leadership that conservatives but all of them out there run-on conservative
4:58 pm
ideas and contrasting a width where this president and the left has taken us. because the data because more of what the movement is doing that what republicans are doing, people see viable alternatives to the big government central planning model. i think it looks like there are at least six seats in play. you and i have talked about that. depending on the attitude of the country and how things go with obamacare as well as foreign policy there could be some huge foreign policy disasters. i hope that doesn't happen, but i'm worried about it. part of the reason for the book is to get america to look at things differently. if people can only remember what made this country great in the first place, that we were built from the ground up, we are not like other countries in this president and the left is trying to make us like other countries where everything is centrally managed and planned is not what makes us work. if america will think this is
4:59 pm
not about party, it is about what works, what made this country great, what can revive the country make our brighter future in the past, americans are starting to make a end if they do, it could be a dramatic collection for conservatives and set the stage for a change of course in 2016. >> is harry reid clinically and pain? [laughter] caught back i have to know just from a sheer because you were there here to show up anything. tell me jim demint from the u.s. and france here. you worked with this guy. let's shut the macsoft. close the door, have a drink with harry reid. you and him sit out and say that a good one. you really sold than you are that crazy or is he quack
5:00 pm
>> you're not going to let us, but harry reid and i are actually friends. >> i don't like that. goodnight, everybody. >> we disagree on everything. i read his book. he read a book a couple years ago. >> did he pay attention to it? >> he did. he has a different philosophy. it's utopian with god to protect the little guy with the big government. and he is smart. he knows the media does not hold them accountable. if republicans say anything about what he says, no one has heard from obamacare. ..
5:01 pm
it's pretty clear that a lot of blue-collar conservative state, election day. we just had senator santorum on the show today. he apparently has a book coming out about a month and his real obsession with talking to working-class conservatives are blue-collar conservatives, whenever you want to call it. a lot of them stay home. what must be said and done to bring them back? >> consultants have learned that if you make connections-of alexa's-a lot of the good guys stay on. a lot of people the backed off on the activism of the tea party they have been vilified and blame for everything. that is by design. what we have to convince americans that don't want
5:02 pm
anything from government is that we really need their active participation. this wonderful america that we are stewards of, and we cannot take a pass on being involved with it. our constitution says we, the people, are actually in charge of this place. if you stay home and we are actually aggregating your responsibility. we cannot do that. we have to invite good people back into the process and we have to give them good alternatives. i mean, good people see a genuine person and don't like the choices they have in politics. hopefully we can make the idea is so persuasive that it will attract more good people into the arena. if good people get in and are supported then they will stay and fight. but if they are not supported in all they hear is the criticism
5:03 pm
for not spending more money for this group of that group and, frankly, that is mostly what you here in washington, why did you not support this big boondoggle because it had something in there for me, we have to get the country doing what they're doing now in small groups, as i said with ted crews, and i know it happened with me check. so frustrated in washington, trying to do everything that they could to marginalize me because i had taken these strong stands against some of the things that they were doing. every time i went around the country to campaign for a candid and people came up and said thank you for fighting. we are praying for you. what can i do. it just kept me going, kept me in a fight knowing that i am on the right team. the guys back in washington on the wrong team. if america has to do what friedman said, we have to create an environment in this country where even the wrong people will do the right thing in office. and we have not created that yet. that is what we want to do at the heritage foundation and a
5:04 pm
big part of what the book is about. >> share of personal anecdotes, i recall just getting started my talk radio career. it was during the -- it was a couple of years into it during the bank bailouts. bush was leading. obama was coming in. a prominent republican at the time who was running for office was for it. i came out very strongly on the radio against it and was critical of this particular republican and was summoned to dinner with them. and not kidding. i was summoned to dinner with him to get my had read about it. on more than one occasion i have been told by local and national politicians, give you the pat on the head, you are cute, kid. that may be the way it works for you simpletons in talk radio and the people you talk to, but we, here, in this adjust audio washington d.c. know how the world works. so scoot along. there really do think of you that way, a lot of the. >> said think of them members that way.
5:05 pm
of course, i oppose it. and i still believe it was the wrong thing to do. but that is the way you are treated for doing the right thing. we have to change that culture in america, get enough people acting and informed. >> they should be intimidated by s. we have at least for now bottled up that bad senate immigration bill now house because i think they know that the intention of the conservative base, republican base around the country is focused on that. hopefully there will talk about things that can unite us. >> the term public servant is a really recalcitrant turn to a
5:06 pm
lot of politicians. that used in mixed firms were political folks, and you can almost see the bristling when you call them a public servant, when you say, you work for me. we have gotten so perversely out of whack. you work for me to read to you or to serve us. it is almost offensive to them. it really is stunning. >> even worse, the oath of office, it is not to represent people back, but protect and defend the constitution which limits of the federal government can do. [applause] >> this is a great question and i get calls about it all the time. why have there not been legit court challenges? maybe there have been read wino legit court challenges to the executive orders and similar in the round congress that have been going on with this president?
5:07 pm
why are we not seeing -- somebody wants to see somebody lawyer about their answer the president. >> there are some court challenges. different states to challenge to different aspects of these regulations. it could take two or three years and. they can never regulation as long as harry reid is in control of the senate. we have to be committed to making more noise about it, doing everything that we can because the president's -- the president had been set by these executive orders, the changes in law like obama has done arbitrarily which undermines the whole rule of our system and our country. very, very dangerous. i think we have a good case, and some folks are making and now. obamacare is not all law because of the way it has been implemented. we just have to keep fighting on many fronts. folks are saying, we need to compromise, given up.
5:08 pm
we will never, never given out. >> dennis wants to know a couple of things. they are pretty big. i experienced this at the house. i have never seen at third graders math problem look like something i did in the house or in college. that is what they're doing. it is insane. i cannot help my third grader with his math. what they have done to the way they teach math is insanity. what do you do to unravel it? can anything be done to stop it at this point? and what is it for people that don't know? >> , gore is another example of the federal government's putting a cover sheet on a proposal that really miss relieves what it is. there were some ideas and standards of the state level, some in florida that actually worked immobile when you bring that to washington and say okay, an average that is going to do this possibly kill what made it work in the first place which is the competition between the states, the innovation.
5:09 pm
what should do a one size fits all for all 50 states everyone is teaching to the test again, like we saw with that john left behind. variation which creates intimations to diminish. but this was something that was promised to be voluntary for states, there would be state flexibility. what has happened is we have brought it to the state's attention and so have a number of other groups. what it actually does. people are saying that what was on the cover pages not what it is. that is why you see governors like mike pence to took a very deliberate process to study it and look at it ammonal their backing out of it. in that think you will see more and more states get out of another federal regiment. what we need is federalism for education. fifty states competing for the best system. all of the country now we see states looking at what one state did. they are copying and making it better. this competition is actually
5:10 pm
creating a new education model. common core kills that. >> what are the chances of a full repeal? will it ever be completely undone? your a lot of republicans saying, you know, we can work with a couple of elements of it. some republicans said it will never really and do it all. >> it needs to be fully repealed. this idea that you can tweet or fix it is wrong. is built on the model of central control. will we need to do is go back to some of those ideas that the democrats rejected for years that give an individual health-insurance plan the same tax treatment that you give a company. allows small businesses to come together, a bunch of them, and aggregate their employees so that they can buy insurance cheaper. allow every individual in america to buy health insurance in any state that they want to many parts of the want. and allow health savings
5:11 pm
accounts to be more robust. my idea of policy, very high deductible of $5,000 held savings account that has plenty of money to pay for my office visits. if i really get sick i have trouble. that may not be a plan for everyone, but there are solutions that are there. it is what we call a step-by-step approach. i think that if we can just stop the implementation of this bill, and i still would not fund it. if i was in congress i would never again support anything that had a dollar in it for obamacare because this is going to hurt our country, the poor, our health care system, and i think that we should continue to fight for full repeal of obamacare. [applause] >> you know, it's funny. i am told there are people that will drive to states like delaware to buy a flat screen television.
5:12 pm
you know, on the tax issue. we do these things all the time. people that maybe don't even pay attention to politics will go find the best deal, across the state line to go buy something of the best buy to avoid sales tax. we do that stuff all the time to begin we have accepted the notion that we can't do that with their health insurance. okay. you did. preaching to the choir. how do we convince individual citizens then must sacrifice entitlements for the good of our country? how do you convince somebody have to sacrifice entitlements? that guy, he is as sterling and they come, and davis raided the guy. >> yes, they did. entitlements, social security, medicare, people are entitled to them because they're paid for. veterans' benefits, people are entitled to them because there in the. obamacare is not an entitlement.
5:13 pm
people did not earn or pay for them. it is essentially a public charity in some ways. i'm sure that will give me in a lot of political trouble. people need to recognize the difference with him was paid for. many to honor promises we make people. does not jeopardize what i make it on social security. if we give younger workers better choices. in fact, making the program more sustainable, it might guarantee that i continue. every time you try to change a program for the enter folks, it is ridiculous. is being suggested, an employer plan or an employer pays for part of your policy and you pay for part of it, allow the same concept for medicare. when you get to retirement, medicare will pay part of a premium, your private policy so that you can keep their private
5:14 pm
policy and you pay the other part. it saves the government money and allows people sell their own plan does not push granma over a cliff because it does not affect anybody who is already on medicare. it is just getting under people better choices. we have to be bolder. paul ryan, introduced something like that in the party structure they all run for the hills. what we need is leaders who will not avoid these issues but to help develop the. dave camp in the house came out with tax reform. we have problems with that, but we applaud the fact that he would at least introduce something so that people could not say we did not have any antaeus. we need to promote those ideas and show that there are alternatives and began to defend them. this idea of let's just talk about how bad the other side is well not win elections for conservatives. with talk about why our ideas will make life better for people
5:15 pm
. >> connecting on an emotional level, but exceptional. we come out with data and pie charts and spreadsheets. >> we need to talk about the children who get at d.c. scholarship failing school and third grade. kelly, not this kelly, but now in college. and that book, we talk about virginia fort, her child got actually i never paid for her to get out of school to get her son into school. now she goes all around the country working with little platoons to help start charter schools and alternative schools to give other children the same opportunities that she had. these ideas work, and that is what we need to talk about. many starred what the people that live in north dakota that have opportunities and jobs to succeed. while they don't need a minimum wage because you can start at mcdonald's at $15 an hour and
5:16 pm
there are stories of the country of how it is working, but we need to tell those stories about real people and not argue political theory anymore. the things that mattered to me because i know that they work is abiding by the constitution and limited government and keeping taxes low. most americans don't know that that will make life better. just as i had to do, not explain all the details of the problem, but talk about the benefits of using it, how it is going to make their life better. that is a challenge. that is the priority, to continue car intellectual integrity that comes from our research and connect that intellectual integrity in real life terms with people all over the country. >> i am reading. i don't know if you caught it in print or on line. i love this in this city, philadelphia. the flood of history, the sheer number of great american to live and work here to bring our nation into being and give it
5:17 pm
the best governing factor in the world, it gets me every time. does us. we are glad you were there to defend. jim demint. >> thank you, folks. [applause] >> well, thanks for coming. the senator will stick around and sign some books. he has a trained to catch. thank you very much for listening to talk radio 1210wp hd. thank you for coming. [inaudible conversations]
5:18 pm
>> you're watching book tv, nonfiction authors and books every weekend on c-span2. >> the united states long history of pranking going back to benjamin franklin. professor macleod as a prankster himself. he argues that banks are part of all long tradition of social critique in the united states. this is about 50 minutes.

22 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on