Skip to main content

tv   Justice With Judge Jeanine  FOX News  March 14, 2015 6:00pm-7:01pm PDT

6:00 pm
inheritance inheritance" and remember you can't take it with you. do you have a strange inheritance story you'd like to share with us? we'd love to hear it. send me an i malee-mail or go to our website, strangeinheritance.com. hello, welcome to "justice." i'm judge jeanine pirro. thanks for being with us. breaking news tonight. the u.s. embassy and two consulates in saudi arabia are closed to all public activities. they are on skeleton staffing right flow through monday amid a heightened security threat said to be a possible car bomb plot. more on this story later. and on the show tonight exclusive insight into the case of suspected killer robert durst, the subject of the hit hbo series "the jinx." first my open. all right. so she used her private e-mail and she communicated with her top-level staff through their private e-mails.
6:01 pm
who cares? will this impact your decision on whether to vote for hillary clinton for president? of course not. you won't even remember this kerfuffle next year. but the question is much deeper than that. the question becomes does hillary clinton have the integrity to be the president of the united states of america? the leader of the free world? does hillary clinton have the instincts to protect us? someone other than herself? and as much as i want a woman president, the latest news of the deleting e-mails and keeping communications with her highest level staff outside of government servers, ignoring it until it became clear it wasn't going away, tells me that hillary clinton is not about transparency, and is not about integrity. that she does whatever she wants regardless of the rules.
6:02 pm
and nobody knows scandal or loopholes better than this woman who has danced with special prosecutors, federal investigators and subpoenas for most of her professional clear. it's simply part of her history. now, congressman trey gowdy, the head of benghazi committee wants to give her the benefit of the doubt saying, but it wouldn't be reasonable for her to be on her way to libya to discuss libyan policy and there are no e-mails from the trip. that's his quote. and i'm going to shock you tonight. in spite of my law enforcement background, to me this e-mail investigation is almost irrelevant irrelevant. hillary clinton knows exactly what she's doing. what matters to her is making history by becoming the first woman president. the rules simply don't apply to her. she is so brazen that she arrogantly walks to the podium
6:03 pm
as if to say, children let me school you and don't question me. there's no apology. no acknowledgement. no reservation. it's a simple you're not going to see the server, i'm not going to tell you who decided what was and was not personal and i never e-mailed any classified information just trust me. take a listen. >> i did not e-mail any classified material to anyone on my e-mail. there is no classified material. >> so if the top three in her department her chief of staff, her lawyer cheryl mills and her assistant, reportedly used their personal e-mail that tells me number one, that she's never discussed classified information with her top staff, and two
6:04 pm
that if she did, it was never captured. so you tell me, what was the secretary of state doing if she wasn't discussing top-level classified issues with her top advisers? what was she doing, picking paint chips out for the white house? now, we already know she wasn't busy providing ambassador stevens with a security that he needed in spite of his repeated pleas. and congressman goudy says that there are gaps of months of no e-mails from the secretary about benghazi. so will hillary clinton continue to evade and two-step the hard issues? look, we can't have a president who lacks transparency and integrity. or a president where scandals are just a part of the daily briefings? look. i want a woman president. it is time for a woman
6:05 pm
president. hell, we haven't done so great with some of the men we put in there. but we need a woman who's honest. transparent. in the mold of a margaret thatcher or a golda. yes we need a woman president, but not this woman. that's my open. tell me what you think on my facebook page or twitter @judgejeanine, #justiceopen. and with me now is the former united states attorney general judge michael mukasey. good evening, judge. >> good to be here. >> nice to see you. all right, judge. let me start with a few quick questions. hillary clinton uses her personal e-mail. her top staff use their personal e-mails. so none of this is on a government server then. >> well, right. and not only that, but obviously she's -- if she's e-mailing people who are off the u.s. government system, like foreign leaders, for example none of that is captured.
6:06 pm
>> okay. so now we've got none of this information in the government archives. now, do you believe and i know that there are a lot of people who have said that if you are the secretary of state, most of what you're dealing with is classify classified. do you believe there can be possibly no classified e-mails on that personal e-mail? >> no. it's impossible. anything that she communicated about, about u.s. foreign policy, which is some of the most sought after information in the world, is necessarily classified. >> all right. so, if she has classified information on a personal e-mail or a personal server, isn't that a violation of the secrecy laws? didn't general petraeus get into trouble and plead to a misdemeanor for the same thing? >> yes. she was supposed to put all of that on an appropriate government server and the rule that sets that assumes that using your personal e-mail is the exception, not the rule.
6:07 pm
but she also at the end of her term signed a document required by every state department employee as part of their exit that she had turned over all information, all documents, all records she had obtained whether classified for unclassified during her tenure. and she signed that under -- >> she did sign it -- >> wait a minute, if she signed it. if she signed it she signed it on penalty of perjury. if she didn't sign it, that's a major irregularity in her exit. >> you know, judge, it's not an unusualer irregularity. the four years she was there, and even after that you have the associated press requesting freedom of information material. everybody goes to court to try to get it. they're being sued at this point. and the state department lawyers say we don't have anything that, you know, is in response to your request. are not the state department
6:08 pm
attorneys making that representation in court or in an affidavit? aren't they come policelis complicit in some kind of -- i don't know what argument to make, but that's just not the truth. >> well, if they knew that she had a -- that she was using her personal e-mail, then, yes they're complicit. i don't know whether they knew or not. >> you were the attorney general. when there were issues for you, didn't your top staff review things with you and have discussions on some of this. >> yes, of course. by the way, when i was attorney general, i was not permitted to have a personal e-mail. my blackberry was pried, as i used to joke from my cold dead hands when i took office because it was considered too dangerous, it was considered as presenting probability possibilities of abuse, presented as security issues. >> okay. let's assume you're the attorney general now. what would you do in this scenario? >> the question is is not what i
6:09 pm
would do. the question is what the attorney general who is in office, what attorney general who's coming into office is going to do, and the answer to both of those is nothing. >> if you were the attorney general presented with this hypothetical situation, what is the first thing you'd do? >> the first thing you twodo is get the server. >> yes of course. >> that's the first thing you do. >> and why do you think that's -- well, i don't need to ask you what the motivation is behind that. you have trey gowdy oversight, subpoena, subpoenaing all this information. trey gowdy is essentially saying the state department never got around to telling them the truth that they had no e-mails. this is the united states of america. how can this happen? >> well, in today's world, regrettably it can happen, and you would think that lightning would strike and somebody would die, but it doesn't work that way. >> what todo you think's going to happen? >> what's going to happen is we're going to have a long discussion about what it means to have an honest person in high position and whether we want an
6:10 pm
honest person in a high position. we're not going to have a discussion about whether she's indicted or not because that's not in the cards. >> not because the facts might not be there but because of the players and who was sitting in the prosecuteor's office. >> precisely. >> all right. i'm going to ask you, judge mukasey, to stay with us. and with me now, joining both of us, ambassador to the u.n. and the fox news contributor john bolten. good evening, ambassador. you you say the issue isn't whether hillary violated any rules or regulations. what do you think is the issue? >> well, i think what she's done has by her own admission gravely impaired national security. either she was engaged in e-mail e-mailing about classified matters, or if she wasn't you have to ask what she was doing for her day job for four years. but in any event, even if the information were technically class final let's face it everything the secretary of state says basically is very
6:11 pm
sensitive. her job is to give policy guidance and instructions to her subordinates at the state depart department and communicate to fellow cabinet officers and to the president her views on foreign policy issues. if you were foreign government, you'd die to get that information. >> well, let's assume that someone from a foreign government communicated with her ambassador, we know they did. she raised up to $25 million from saudi arabia. and just tonight at the top of the show i talked about fact that we're disclosing it to the public because of some security issues there. i mean, that's the kind of information from foreign governments that we should see. i mean what do you think, judge? >> i think -- sorry, go ahead. >> let me ask the judge. >> of course, we should see it. if she was doing government business and raising money from people with whom she was doing the government business, there's every reason why we should see it. not to mention, as the ambassador pointed out, the national security problems that are posed by this. and they -- for the state
6:12 pm
department, or for mrs. clinton to say that her server was not hacked, they've got no idea whether it was hacked or not. and given the diplomatic record of the government during her service i question whether some foreign governments were not in fact, getting this information. >> ambassador, why do you think that she went through the trouble of setting up this personal e-mail account with a personal server and her top aides reportedly also were using personal e-mail? they say yuma aubudine was a subset on her own personal server. why was that done? >> to keep control of the e-mail conversations. it's not just the different between a private and state department e-mail account. the state department has two completely separate e-mail systems. actually has more. let's just take two. one is an unclassified account. that's the state.gov address. and the other is classified where the e-mail, the cable traffic in the state department, are readable.
6:13 pm
that material is encrypted and deencrypted. it's highly secure. and the fact is when she sits at her desk in washington i assume she sat at her desk in washington a couple times those machines would be on her desk. did she never use the classified e-mail system? i mean, this is the sort of thing -- she skated through that press conference. the media asked her questions didn't have a clue what goes on at the state department. so she hasn't had to answer to, what to me are some of the most important questions about how things went during her four years. >> and you know when she has an e-mail that you know is set up and then says, well, they can capture it through the other guys because i communicated with the other guys on their dotgov e-mail, what are you supposed to do if you're the associated press or trey gowdy a congressman, like e-mail everyone in the united states government and say, by the way, they say hillary's e-mails were captured? do you have any of them? >> yeah well, i mean, her --
6:14 pm
the basis of her comment was there that the state department was, in fact, preserving all of those e-mails at the unclassified state.gov address because you can't communicate with the classified system with an unclassified address. and just now we learned the state department has not been keeping all of these records. so those are probably gone forever. >> add to that the fact that the material that she turned over was turned over on paper. this was not the form in which she had it. she had an electronic record that's searchable. >> tell the viewers why that is important. >> it's enormously important because you can't search paper records. the way you can search electronic records. do word searches, relationship searches. it makes it -- it pours sand in the gears. it makes it impossible to check even the material she turned over. >> all right. ambassador bolten, how is this going to impact her going forward? >> well it should impact her quite a bit. i mean, again, we haven't really
6:15 pm
covered some of the key concerns. for example you have a blackberry or smartphone you guy from the phone store, it can be controlled by others. they can get control of your phone. forget her e-mails. as long as she has her phone in her possession, somebody else can get control of it and turn it into a microphone. transmitting without her knowing it to them. so all of her meetings, possibly, were compromised. i mean, we really don't know the depths of the national security problem here. and certainly she didn't give us enough information to have a conclusion. we really need, i think, somebody from justice or some -- the inspector generals office at state to look into this. this is a huge, very serious security breach. >> all right. ambassador john bolten, judge michael mukasey, thank you both for being with us this evening. >> thank you. >> all right. coming up a new warning that isis could get fighters into america. we'll tell you where and how.
6:16 pm
and the mysterious case of accused killer robert durst. the subject of the hbo hit series, "the jinx." inside information on the case that you're not going to find anywhere else later in the show.
6:17 pm
6:18 pm
i have a cold with terrible chest congestion. i better take something. theraflu severe cold doesn't treat chest congestion. really? new alka-seltzer plus day powder rushes relief to your worst cold symptoms plus chest congestion. [breath of relief] oh, what a relief it is. and an early morning mode. and a partly sunny mode. and an outside...to clear inside mode. transitions ® signature ™ adaptive lenses... ...now have chromea7 ™ technology... ...making them more responsive than ever to changing light. so life can look more vivid & vibrant. why settle for a lens with just one mode? experience life well lit ®. speak with your eyecare professional to... ...upgrade your lenses to transitions ® signature ™ .
6:19 pm
6:20 pm
breaking tonight. the u.s. embassy in saudi arabia is closed to the public after what u.s. officials tell fox news is a, quote, credible security threat. several other u.s. consulates in saudi arabia are also closed to the public. and the state department has warned americans there to be on alert. this as the iraqi kurdish officials say that isis is using chemical weapons on peshmerga forces. a statement today from the kurdistan region security council reads that the purported chemical weapon attack involved chlorine gas used in a january 23rd suicide car bomb attack in northern iraq. is this a start of a frightening new strategy from the islamic state? with me now former navy s.e.a.l. and author of "resilience," eric and terror analyst and author of the new book "isis exposed," eric. all right. good evening, gentlemen. your reaction to this report from the kurds today?
6:21 pm
and eric i'm going to start with you because i understand that as a navy s.e.a.l. whenu were in iraq, you were involved or somehow there was some kind of chemical weapon used? >> yeah, that's correct. in march of 2007 i was serving as commander of an al qaeda targeting cell. my team was hit by a suicide truck bomb they actually laced with chlorine. their intention with these suicide car bombs and suicide truck bombs is not only to create casualties with the explosion but also to create further casualties by having this poison chlorine cloud that would go off after the explosion. it's designed to you get burning in your eyes, in your nose, burning in your mouth. under certain circumstances it can actually kill people because you can't breathe. >> all right. eric, i mean you've just written a book on isis. what's your take on all this? >> look judge, in my book i talk about back in june when isis seized mosul, there were a lot of reports that they seized chemical agents out of mosul university.
6:22 pm
now, isis obviously has shown with beheadings, burnings enslaving people they'd have no hesitation in using chemical weapons. remember syria, the assad regime, judge, where isis is also present there also has a chemical weapons arsenal. look the nightmare scenario is if isis can get their hands on chemical or biological weapons because they have shown they will use them. >> all right, guys. you know cia chief brennan says isis has snowballed. now recruiting from 90 countries. 9-0 countries around the world. and people in our administration are saying we're winning the war on terror. who's right? erick? >> well, one of the things that you're seeing, judge is you're actually seeing the spread of this radical islamic ideology and you're seeing not only the spread of the ideology, you're also seeing the spread of these terrorist tactics. so if you look, for example at what's happening in nigeria are boko haram, recently pledged
6:23 pm
allegiance to isis and is operating in a country, let's keep in mind nigeria considered the giants of africa. 175 million people. largest economy in africa. boko haram is taking control in northeastern nigeria. beheadings, suicide car bombings and truck bombings and using social media tactics and tactical, you know, tactics that isis is using in iraq and syria. >> erick, in the history of the world have we ever seen anything this evil that comprises such a large swath of countries? >> you know judge, that's a great question. look, we've seen caliphates before. right now this isis caliphate stretches across 35,000 square miles of territory in the heart of the middle east, an area the size of great britain. that's astounding. for our viewers judge, very interesting statement last month from the fbi director james comey who said right now in all 50 u.s. states, that includes
6:24 pm
hawaii and alaska there are investigations ongoing into isis-related activity right here on u.s. soil. so, judge basically what the fbi director is saying is that we have a network of isis supporters and sympathizers in every state in the union. so the barbarians are not just at the gates. they're inside the gates. >> all right. and, you know, iraqi forces, erick are saying that they are pushing isis out of tikrit but that america isn't doing much to help and i got to tell you they're usesing our weapons, our money, our military equipment and at the end of the day seems like they're more aligned with iran than they are with the united states. what do you make of that? >> well that's right, judge. most of those fighters who are actually pushing isis out of tikrit are actually shia that are associated with iran. they've gotten support in terms of weapons. they've had commandos and personnel that have been working with them and are training them.
6:25 pm
so this is very much an effort that's actually being supported by iran. >> and what about the fact that it seems, erick, that the united states is being marginalized? >> oh absolutely, judge. look, we have iraqi commanders right now praising iran and saying, hey, united states, where are you? but the obama administration, judge seems content to leave iraq up to iran. look, we have a vacuum in the middle east right now. we don't want to occupy it under president obama. so iran is moving right in and gaining more and more control in iraq. at the end of the day, look, iran and isis are fighting each other. the obama administration apparently thinks we can make an ally out of iran. iran and isis are fighting each other because not of the shia/sunni difference, they want the same thing do dominate the middle east. iran is poised in a very good position. >> all the while we negotiate with iran. thanks so much for being with us this evening.
6:26 pm
>> thank you, judge. >> my pleasure. >> all right. onlying up the manhunt comes for the gunman who shot two police officers in ferguson. is there any way to share this war against police? later the hbo documentary "the jinx" is created a firestorm. the detective trying to put robert durst behind bars joins me live. this tylenol arthritis lasts 8 hours but aleve can last 12 hours. and aleve is proven to work better on pain than tylenol arthritis. so why am i still thinking about this? how are ya? good. aleve. proven better on pain. how do i get hotel deals nobody else gets?... i know a guy. price-line ne-go-ti-a-tor! i know this guy... konohito... and this guy... who knows a guy. hey guy. i know a guy in new york, vegas, dallas. i've known some guys for decades and some, nice to meet ya, let's deal. my competitors may know a guy, but i know over 60,000 guys. and gals. exclusive hotel deals
6:27 pm
- up to 60% off...priceline.com shopping online is as easy as it gets. ♪ wouldn't it be great if hiring plumbers carpenters and even piano tuners were just as simple? thanks to angie's list, now it is. we've made hiring anyone from a handyman to a dog walker as simple as a few clicks. buy their services directly at angiealist.com. no more calling around. no more hassles. and you don't even have to be a member to start shopping today! angie's list is revolutionizing local service again. visit angieslist.com today. [ male announcer ] how do you make cancer a thing of the past? well...you use the past. huntsman cancer institute has combined 300 years of family histories with health records to discover inherited genes for melanoma, breast colon and ovarian cancers. so we can predict and treat cancer. and sometimes even prevent it from happening
6:28 pm
in the first place. to learn more or support the cause go to huntsmancancer.org. people with type 2 diabetes come from all walks of life. if you have high blood sugar, ask your doctor about farxiga. it's a different kind of medicine that works by removing some sugar from your body. along with diet and exercise farxiga helps lower blood sugar in adults with type 2 diabetes. with one pill a day, farxiga helps lower your a1c. and, although it's not a weight-loss or blood-pressure drug, farxiga may help you lose weight and may even lower blood pressure when used with certain diabetes medicines.
6:29 pm
do not take if allergic to farxiga or its ingredients. symptoms of a serious allergic reaction include rash, swelling or difficulty breathing or swallowing. if you have any of these symptoms, stop taking farxiga and seek medical help right away. do not take farxiga if you have severe kidney problems, are on dialysis, or have bladder cancer. tell your doctor right away if you have blood or red color in your urine or pain while you urinate. farxiga can cause serious side effects, including dehydration, genital yeast infections in women and men, low blood sugar,kidney problems, and increased bad cholesterol. common side effects include urinary tract infections changes in urination and runny nose. ♪do the walk of life♪ ♪yeah, you do the walk of life♪ need to lower your blood sugar? ask your doctor about farxiga and visit our website to learn how you may be able to get every month free.
6:30 pm
live from america's news headquarters i'm jackie ibanez. several dozen west virginia residents are out of their homes tonight following a landslide at a hilltop airport. heavy rain saturated the ground around the airport. a landslide at the end of the airport's main runway has caused damage to a church and an occupied home and power lines there. as of tonight no one has been hurt. a massive cyclone striking vanuatu in the south pacific
6:31 pm
today. there are eight confirmed deaths. but that number is expected to rise. the u.n. says there are unconfirmed reports of as many as 44 deaths in nearby islands. cyclone pam slamming into populated areas with winds of 168 miles an hour. leaving a trail of damaged homes downed power lines and trees. there are reports entire villages in remote areas were destroyed but communications are down. i'm jackie ibanez. back to "justice." tonight the manhunt continues for the gunman who shot two police officers earlier this week during an anti-police protest march in ferguson, missouri. my next guest says war has been declared on the american police officer. and that the obama administration is not doing enough to stop it. milwaukee county sheriff mr. clark joins me now. good evening, sheriff. i'm going to go one further. i think the obama administration is stoking the fires.
6:32 pm
your thoughts? >> oh there's no doubt about it some of the incendiary rhetoric coming out of their mouths both the president and the attorney general is actually stoking the flames of cop hatred this country. this movement has been underground for several decades. this anti-cop movement. but they've been emboldened by some of the language coming out of the mouths of some very important people and now now the american police officer is literally under siege and taking sniper fire. i find it unfathomable that in this day and age cops just walking the beat are taking on live fire. >> oh as they did as you say in san francisco l.a. two police officers shot in new york city, in brooklyn. now two in ferguson. you know chief, what is interesting about this is that, you know, this isn't about thugs trying to get away from a robbery or a crime. you know, this is about anarchy. people just seeing a police
6:33 pm
officer and shooting because they're police officers. >> cops are being ambushed right out in the open with no fear, and that's what i knew this was going to come to. i've been talking about this as you know, judge, for months after the the american police officer and american law enforcement agencies. this zeal in ferguson with the report from the attorney general was payback, nothing more than
6:34 pm
his being upset that he couldn't bring civil rights charges against officer darren wilson. he thought -- he knew that he was going to be able to do it. then when he found out he didn't, he figured he'd get them back this way. this is junk report. does ferguson have problems? it has a lot of problems. it's confounded by the fact he indicted this entire police agency with bogus use of statistics a misapplication of data. he cherry picks a couple of e-mails. we saw racist or off-colored e-mails coming out of the sony picture industry and we didn't indict the entire motion picture industry simply because of a couple of people talking stupid. so i'd like to know the methodology he used in his report. did he find a couple of racist or off color i should say, e-mails combing through 25,000, 50,000? he saw a few? or was this 2 out of 10 or 12? there's a lot that hat been explained about this report judge. >> but you know what chief, they're not going to explain
6:35 pm
anything. you know my thoughts and some people believe that given the fact the department of justice couldn't even bring civil rights charges against officer darren wilson, and, you know, people saying we want a vigorous prosecution before they even know the facts, that they made the decision to say that the racist -- that the ferguson police department is racist? that that was their way of kind of protecting or providing cover for themselves. your thoughts? >> oh there's no doubt about that. he's trying to save face here which is why i said it was a witch hunt and this was in sports they call it a makeup call. you blow the first call then try to make it up later on. that's not -- that's not how we do things in the united states of america. >> all right. >> ferguson has some problems and if the justice department was going through and saw those sorts of things, they could have pointed it out and said you better take a look at that. this report indicted an entire law enforcement agency. >> all right. sheriff david clarke got to go. thanks so much for being with us. and coming up -- >> taunkhank you, judge.
6:36 pm
>> -- by now most of america knows case of robert durst from "the jinx." i get inside information on case you won't find anywhere else, after the break. stay with us.sometile to and stay awake during the day. this is called non-24. learn more by calling 844-824-2424. or visit your24info.com. if you take multiple medications, a dry mouth can be a common side effect. that's why there's biotene. it comes in oral rinse spray or gel so there's moisturizing relief for everyone. biotene, for people who suffer from a dry mouth. why do people count on sunsweet amazin prune juice to stay fit on the inside? it's made only from prunes nothing else. it's works, simple as that.
6:37 pm
it's a natural source of fiber and five essential vitamins. try sunsweet amazin prune juice. also available in light. let me talk to you about retirement. a 401(k) is the most sound way to go. let's talk asset allocation. sure. you seem knowledgeable professional. would you trust me as your financial advisor? i would. i would indeed. well, let's be clear here. i'm actually a dj. [ dance music plays ] [laughs] no way! i have no financial experience at all. that really is you? if they're not a cfp pro you just don't know. find a certified financial planner professional who's thoroughly vetted at letsmakeaplan.org. cfp -- work with the highest standard. oh yea, that's coming down let's get some rocks, man. health can change in a minute. so cvs health is changing healthcare. making it more accessible and affordable with walk-in medical care,
6:38 pm
no appointments needed test. minuteclinic. another innovation from cvs health. because health is everything. in new york state, we're reinventing how we do business so businesses can reinvent the world. from pharmaceuticals to 3d prototyping, biotech to clean energy. whether your business is moving, expanding or just getting started... only new york offers you zero taxes for 10 years with startup ny business incubators that partner companies with universities, and venture capital funding for high growth industries.
6:39 pm
see how new york can grow your business and create jobs. visit ny.gov/business now? can i at least put my shoes on? if your bladder is calling the shots ... you may have a medicalbladder ... ...or oab you've got to be kidding me. i've had enough! it's time to talk to the doctor. ask your doctor how myrbetriq may help treat... ...oab symptoms of urgency frequency, and leakage. which may mean fewer trips to the bathroom. myrbetriq (mirabegron) may increase your blood pressure. myrbetriq may increase your chances... ...of not being able to empty your bladder. tell your doctor right away if you have... ...trouble emptying your bladder or have a weak urine stream. myrbetriq may affect... ...or be affected by other medications... ...so tell your doctor about all the medicines you take. before taking myrbetriq, tell your doctor if you have liver or kidney problems. common side effects include increased blood pressure, common cold symptoms, urinary tract infection, and headache. take charge by talking to your doctor
6:40 pm
about your oab symptoms and myrbetriq. find out if you can get your first prescription at no cost by visiting myrbetriq.com the case of robert durst. the real estate empire heir and suspected serial killer continues to unfold tonight as investigators try to connect possible new pieces of evidence. take a look at the history behind the amazing case of robert durst. it's the case that captivated the nation. >> we the jury find the defendant robert durst not guilty. >> money two murders and a missing wife haunting the life of excentric new york real estate heir robert durst for more than 30 years. he says he did not kill his wife
6:41 pm
or his friend but does admit he killed then dismembered his neighbor in texas. shockingly, durst still rockwalks the streets a free man. it began in 1982. durst's 29-year-old medical student wife kathleen disappeared. friends say that kathleen was afraid of durst. >> i can remember very clearly the telephone calls and bobby insisting that she'd come home and being visibly shaken after the phone calls. she went out, she warmed up the mercedes, came back in and said, i'm leaving now. so we stood on the front pojrch. she said promise to me if something happens you'll check it out, i'm afraid of bobby. >> fast forward to spring 2000. westchester district attorney opened the cold case of kathleen durst's disappearance and looked to interview those involved in 1982. december 24th 2000.
6:42 pm
shortly before a scheduled interview with durst's close friend and confidant, susan berman by members of my office she was found murdered, shot execution style in her l.a. home. durst in california at the time of susan's murder, but never charged by california authorities. with a penchant for dressing like a deaf mute woman named dorothy, durst next appears in galveston, texas, renting a room in a low-income area next to one morris black. when morris black's body parts wash up along the bay, burst is arrested. he claims that he killed black in self-defense and chopped up the body to escape the scrutiny the durst defense team claimed i put him urn. the jury bought it and durst is found not guilty in november 2003. but now in the explosive hbodo
6:43 pm
docuadrama, "the jinx," not only connects but implicates durst in the murder of susan burman. with me now the homicide detector who led the durst murder investigation in galveston, texas cody and the journalist who covered the durst case for years, lisa zdepalo. a great deal about "the jinx" tomorrow night. tomorrow night is the last episode. it promises closure for some. i can only imagine there's fear and anxiety in the hearts of others. what do you think is going to happen tomorrow night, detective? >> i know what i'd like to see happen. i hope happens. but we'll wait and see. i think that andrew and mark have done a fabulous job. and they've -- they've teed it up for a big ending. and i -- >> yeah. and you are nodding your head lisa. what is the big ending?
6:44 pm
>> i think they saved the best for last. an after last week, you don't think they gave the best thing away last week. >> right. what they have, they have this note that says cadaver at such and such address where susan's body is. and they find a note written to susan burman in california and it's the same block lettering and the misspelling of beverly hills. >> correct. >> all right. so what does that tell you detective? is there something in that -- before we get to that, what does that tell you? >> well i think that -- i think it was brought up in that last episode by durst himself. he says out of his own mouth, that why would the killer write a note like that and mail it to the police department that only the killer would know? >> right. >> that comes out of his own mouth. >> you know kudos because the way they wrote it is they have durst saying only the killer would know that the body is there.
6:45 pm
>> exactly. >> and it seems that they've connected the handwriting. >> i mean, part of what's probably going to happen tomorrow is bobby being confronted with the cadaver notes and that's going to be awesome television. let's hope it also brings about a real result here. and why hasn't he been arrested jeanine? >> he wasn't arrested in l.a. because they couldn't match up the cadaver note with his handwriting. exemplar. now it's a little different. let's talk about what "the jinx" exposed to you. detective, you've been involved in this for how many years? >> too many. >> too many. >> 13? >> 13. something like 15. 15? were you shocked at some things that came out of durst's mouth? >> yes. when we says he's complicit in kathleen's disappearance -- >> of course, being his first wife. >> to me, that was a shock. when he admits the lies, it was interesting because at the beginning of this, he says if somebody has an open mind then
6:46 pm
i'm going to show them that -- what happened basically. trying to say that, you know, if you'll believe me, what i'm going to tell you if you'll believe me you'll see that i'm innocent basically. well, and it starts off with one lie after the other. you know he originally -- >> there are some elaborate lies. >> and he admits to these lies. >> he admits to these lies just to get out of it back in fork. he starts off lies and admitting lies then admitting. >> okay. what about what the detective says, lisa, when he says look i lied and said she was in new york city, i told the police that because i wanted it in new york. what do you think his reasoning was? >> he thought for sure he'd be treated lightly in new york where his family has so much power and so much money. but as it turned out, as you said, to me they didn't do anything in south salem, either.
6:47 pm
so, but the lies were huge because he always said he put her on this train then called her from the pay phone three miles from his house. it was a snowy night. he walked the dogs three miles to wruzuse the pay phone. he says i didn't do that. >> i didn't do that. >> i never spoke to her. >> what about the doorman who says kathleen definitely made it to new york city and i saw her come in? now? >> well, then it's uncovered that -- he also said, if you back up a step, he also says that he didn't report her for four days in new york because he went the next day and he had a conversation with his dad and his brother and they convinced him, said, look, you all fight all the time, she probably left you for somebody else and it would be bad for business, so let's don't -- just don't do anything. and then he says, but after four days i had to report her because, you know i'm just such a good guy. >> had to report her because gilberta one of her friends was
6:48 pm
saying bobby, she was supposed to meet me for dinner. bobby, when she left my house she was terrified of you. where is she? then he had to report. >> then we find out through the investigation that in fact that following day, they hired a criminal attorney. >> all right. >> criminal defense attorney. and he hired a -- he employed an investigator who did an investigation and in that investigation, that he owns or has, that they interviewed the doorman. the doorman tells them we never saw -- i never saw her. >> the interesting part of this, then we have to go to a break. >> the doorman worked for the dursts. >> the bottom line is that durst basically is with his family. he admits his father and his brother, douglas durst, another big real estate guy in new york city were in the meeting where the investigators said your brother lied about this, this and this. >> correct. >> and keep in mind -- >> okay. all right. cody, lisa, stay right here.
6:49 pm
coming up, a "justice" exclusive. one of susan burman's closest friends, the woman who witnessed the horrific crime scene, is next. defiance is in our bones. defiance never grows old. citracal maximum. easily absorbed calcium plus d. now in a new look. [ male announcer ] legalzoom has helped start over 1 million businesses. if you have a business idea, we have a personalized legal solution that's right for you. with easy step-by-step guidance, we're here to help you turn your dream into a reality. start your business today with legalzoom.
6:50 pm
6:51 pm
6:52 pm
hey, girl. is it crazy that your soccer trophy is talking to you right now? it kinda is. it's as crazy as you not rolling over your old 401k. cue the horns... just harness the confidence it took you to win me and call td ameritrade's rollover consultants. they'll help with the hassle by guiding you through the whole process step by step. and they'll even call your old provider. it's easy. even she could do it. whatever, janet. for all the confidence you need td ameritrade. you got this. the final episode of the weekly series "the jinx" the life and death of robert durst
6:53 pm
will premier tomorrow on hbo. will new evidence finally connection durst to the murder of his best friend and confidant susan berman. kim, are you there? >> i'm here. >> thanks for being with us. you were susan berman and robert durst's friend for decades. what was their relationship like? >> i always felt it was very positive. they had a great relationship. bobby was like a brother to susan and susan was like a sister to bobby. >> and they were friends for years. but you in the end, ended up walk through susan's blood-stained apartment. who did your mind go to because she was clearly a homicide
6:54 pm
victim. who did you think could have done this. >> at that time i had no idea. it was an awful thing to experience. it was awful to see. i could -- it wasn't her apartment it was her home in benedict canyon. i couldn't believe that i was -- that i was free to walk into the home and to witness a crime scene. >> let me ask you this. have you ever spoken to robert durst about susan berman's death? >> well, yes. we talked about susan's death and wondered who could have done that and bobby and i shortly after susan was killed went to palm springs to mourn her death and talk about how awful this was and how this could have happened. so, yes, we did speak about it. >> all right tomorrow night on the hbo special "the jinx,"
6:55 pm
lisa, final thoughts, what do you think is going to happen? >> i hope they can tie it up. i was hoping he would be arrested before tomorrow night after what happened last week. susan berman would be 70 today. kathy would be 63. this has been going on a really long time. i just don't -- i hope it is wrapped up without someone else getting killed and also him not fleeing. he fled before. >> are you worried about that, detective? assuming there is evidence and all of my instincts tell me something big is happening tomorrow night. >> i believe the amount of money the man has, flight is always an issue. what i would like to see done is i believe now the same way i believed before. i think our society is better off with him behind bars. he may look frail now but it doesn't take a lot of strength to pull a trigger on a weapon. he's still a danger. >> and with kathleen durst, i
6:56 pm
mean, this all started you know, i wanted to solve that cold case of her disappearance. that poor family deserves closure. >> and one thing her family said to me. her brother said this today, bobby durst never reached out to them. >> we know from "the jinx" that the durst family threw them out of the apartment and the dursts have questions to answer. kim kody lisa, thanks so much. that's it for us. you don't have to miss justice. set your dvr. log on and send me your thoughts on tonight's show. watch "the jinx" tomorrow night on hbo at 8:00. proven to taste better than tums smoothies assorted fruit. mmm... amazing. yeah, i get that a lot. alka seltzer heartburn reliefchews. enjoy the relief. mouths are watering, and stomachs are growling. or is that just me? it's lobsterfest... ...red lobster's largest variety
6:57 pm
of lobster dishes all year. double up with dueling lobster tails. or make lobster lover's dream a delicious reality. but hurry this won't last long. just stay calm and move as quietly as possible. no sudden movements. google search: bodega beach house. real cheese people don't eat pasteurized, processed cheese food. it's only required to contain 51% real cheese. with sargento 100% real, natural cheese slices,
6:58 pm
a patty melt becomes more than just a patty. ham unites with its better half. and a club sandwich becomes part of a club you definitely want to be in. real cheese people would never eat a slice wrapped in plastic when they can have a slice of 100% real. natural cheese slices from sargento. we're real cheese people. my lenses have a sunset mode. and an early morning mode. and a partly sunny mode. and an outside... to clear inside
6:59 pm
mode. transitions® signature™ adaptive lenses... are more responsive than ever. so why settle for a lens with just one mode? experience life well lit®. ...upgrade your lenses to transitions® signature™. visit your local visionworks today. to ask about transitions® signature™ lenses with chromea7™ technology. and start living a life well lit®.
7:00 pm
from new york. it's an endless barrage. the mortars shake the earth. >> they believe they're holy warriors. >> they started shooting at us from all directions. >> but there's nothing holy about them. >> tonight, the evil known as isis. >> they tied them to a chair, threw water on their bodies and attached electrical cables to them. >> in this house 18 members of the family were killed. over there, 30. >> can they be stopped? >> to defeat them is possible. >> is america doing enough? >> how do america's

164 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on