Skip to main content

tv   Tucker Carlson Tonight  FOX News  May 8, 2017 5:00pm-6:01pm PDT

5:00 pm
the streets of his hometown in maine are lined with flags in his honor and we salute him and his family. the night, everybody. we'll see you back here tomorrow night at seven. tucker's up next. >> tucker: good evening and happy monday. we're enjoying hours and welcome to "tucker carlson tonight" ." the battle of our health care is far from over but already a big chunk of the left has had a full psychotic break. sounds like overstatement but it's real as you'll see at the prospect of obamacare is repealed. just yesterday, andrea mitchell of nbc went on "meet the press" and suggested the american health care act was somehow a scheme by white men to destroy everybody else. watch. speak let's talk about women. when we looked at the rose garden and the celebration of this on thursday, they were mostly all men and white men at
5:01 pm
that. >> tucker: white men, worst kind. then there was hurt i can walk, member him? how could we forget he dropped this on twitter, i hope every g.o.p. year who voted for trump care see a family member get a long-term condition, lose insurance, and die. when asked why he wanted people to die his political beliefs, i can mold added this "because i want them to be tortured. keep in mind, he works at msnbc now. accused of singer and actress bette miller. she tweeted this. just like that. and finally, there's congressman debbie dingell of michigan who like mitchell was very hung up on the whiteness of republican lawmakers trying to change health care. here she is. >> i just sort of watched in shock, the picture in the rose
5:02 pm
garden after what happened. i really wanted to cry. and when i say it's not a game, they are treating it like a game but for the people that i represent and for people across the country, it's not a game and a point that i was trying to make and the menu here and see that picture in the rose garden, you realize who it is, that is celebrating this and then hear that it's all white boy, sorry to say it that way that are going to be doing this incentive, i get very concerned. >> tucker: the white boys. this is clearly no longer a debate over policy, but health care or anything else. it something else entirely different. but what exactly is it? don calloway, democratic strategist and former missouri state representative joins us tonight to perhaps explain. great heavy tonight. so if you could kind of imagine a scenario in which -- maybe you can't, but also the sub there. there are 13 filipino lawmakers voting on a piece of legislation. you do sitting member of congress go on television and say you know what, filipinos
5:03 pm
doing this. that's appalling. i don't think she'd get for a far. >> i don't know that's a hypothetical but the reality of the matter is the republican party at its highest rings of leadership has a diversity problem and lack of diversity be it ideological diversity or racial diversity makes us all poor because you're not necessarily getting the diversity of perspective that one needs when attacking something as big as infrastructure, tax reform, or health care. these are big challenges. >> tucker: it was just announced that anyone who disagrees can be a member of the party. currently that diversity is lacking. speed that's not exactly true. >> tucker: we choose to have the views that we have. we don't choose to be the color that we are. something that happens to us. to the agreement that we've had for a long time is a good agreement. were not going to judge people and things they can control. so what is this have to do with the health care bill? >> it's that you don't choose to be white. i didn't choose to be african-american but you do choose for your party leadership is and the republican party has chosen to have 13 white men in
5:04 pm
the room when creating a system that will control one fist won six of our nation's economy. that is a tangible choice made by the republican party. tangible choice made by the trumpet ministry should have a room full of white men deciding on women's health. >> whiteman -- yes it was. the democratic caucus -- and i'm not being about what color i am or what you are, it's about the principle, judging people for what they do and the decisions that they make rather than by the color of their skin. why is it bad that these people are a specific color can act as a color make it hard for you to make wise decisions? >> it represents a lack of diversity in perspective and that lack of diversity of perspective it's hard to think that they're making the best policy for our entire country. you and i live in washington, d.c., we can't walk six blocks without seeing a variety of rainbow shades of all
5:05 pm
different types of folk and that is a microcosm of our country. the revoking party has not recognize that. >> tucker: i lived in d.c. as a kid and it was a majority black city and the city government was majority african-american. you think they were making less good decisions because they were almost all one color? >> i don't know -- i didn't study d.c. politics. what i do know is that the policy represented the greater diversity that we've seen in our country. the republican party if you look at the representatives at the leadership of that party and i'm friends with will hurt, i have great faith in what they contrary to the republican party but they are not right now at the top ranking decision-makers of leadership. >> tucker: but you're not allowing for the possibility that people are individuals and they reach their own not necessarily in reference to the group, whatever group you think they belong to. it's because they're each one created by god to make his own
5:06 pm
choices? >> does not individually about race, this is a lack of ideological diversity and diversity of perspective. >> tucker: those are all real arguments, the race part is grotesque. >> it's not. race is a part of diversity. diversity of perspective and diversity of experience and you have to take that diversity of experience into account when making a policy as important as health care. >> tucker: what concerns me here is were opening up a can of worms and i get part of what you're saying, but you think diversity in perspective and background and opinion is really important. i believe that and the companies i've run that way. but i also think that if you're creating a rhetorical dynamic where it's okay to attack people because of their skin color which is exacted when debbie dingell was doing, is exactly what she was doing. >> she said white boy, that's a bad statement. that's a statement that someone of her stature and someone has been in the game as long as she has should know better than tha that. i disagree with the premise that these people are being attacked because of their skin color.
5:07 pm
the revoking party and the policy that emanates there from is being attacked because per se doesn't include substantial diversity that looks like the country. >> tucker: so i'm just saying and i'm sure this does occur to you but if you have a political conversation where one group is starting to attack another group on the basis of its race that you could wind up with a country where all groups start attacking other groups on the basis of theirs, he could wind up with a really divided dangerously so country can. >> i think we disagree on the premise that people are being attacked on the basis of race. i think democrats are pointing out rightfully so the lack of racial diversity in the republican party decision-making structure and that's not wrong to point out. >> tucker: obvious question who, if you had a jury that was 100% samoan would be able to reach a just conclusion? >> of my client was not someone, they probably didn't get a jury. >> tucker: i don't want to
5:08 pm
live in a country -- the former president comes out recently i think today and says racial issues have never been better in america and i know that you want to think you left the country a better place than you found it. that just a flat out lie. there's no measure by which that's true and if were having this conversation now that suggested sewing not true, it's ridiculous. >> the premise here in the premise for the entire discussion were having is that white america is under attack and that's what i find to be fundamentally not true. >> tucker: i'm not making the case that white americans under attack. i making the case that the society that were trying to live in is one in which people are judged by what they do by the choices that they make, not judged by legal characteristics over which they have no control such as their race or their height or their eye color for that matter and if democratic leaders, liberal leaders are all of a sudden forgetting that lesson and pushing this ray stuff on the country. >> it is a middle characteristic, you're absolutely right. we do have control over is how
5:09 pm
many people wait include making policy, making real decisions that are going to affect all of us, not just white men. and the republican party, i have friends across the board. but in concerning the leadership who's in charge of making policy that emanates from not only the federal government but in the states, it has failed at the concept of including everyone. >> tucker: would you acknowledge that people of the same color can have dramatically different motives while remaining authentic. you look at supreme court justice clarence thomas who was attacked returned to have used a different from the majority of people who looked like him, that's awful. >> i don't think he is attacked for being and having views for having views that are different. he has a wide and broad respect of the african-american community and he is a staunchly conservative republican. i've known him for years when he was in columbia the state legislator so i think clarence thomas is a very special case with the vitriol with which he's chosen to carry out a lot of his policy and he's a hard man to understand. >> tucker: i think he's gotten
5:10 pm
most of the vitriol and i would ask you this. when you're a public servant, do you think that you have a duty to represent your fellow citizens first, second, and third or do you think you have the duty to represent people who look like you to? 's today have a duty to represent your fellow citizens which is the problem with republican party not including everyone because black folk or their fellow citizens too. folks are too. >> tucker: i'm not here to defend the republican party which i think is really damage in a lot of ways. but have got to be completely honest, it's a little much considering the democratic party has officially exclusionary policies based on race for how he chooses delegates, for how it allocates power, for how it sends money and certainly in the presidential nominating contest. you can imagine that that's not a massive factor in who gets chosen who. >> the leadership is chosen by a popular improper vote however the democratic party has chosen to put in institutional measures to rectify historical inadequacies and historical
5:11 pm
mistreatment. so does that mean the space upon race? to some degree, yes but ultimately the democratic party has said we want diverse representation and will take measures to foster that. >> tucker: things were coming on tonight. former acting attorney general sally gates came to capitol hill today to testify before senate subcommittee on alleged russian interference in last fall's election. remember when cutin showed up and cast a ballot for you. for more what happened, we go back to trace gallagher her. >> when u.s. intelligence ages fire on foreigners who happen to be talking to american citizens, the names of the u.s. citizens are supposed to be hidden or minimized and should not be viewed unless they are specific to national security reasons to do so. uncovering the names is called unmasking, so now was into the back and forth between republican senator chuck grassley, former acting attorney general sally gates and former director of national intelligence james clapper. watch. >> did every review ever review
5:12 pm
classified documents about his members of congress had been unmasked? >> yes. >> you have. can you give us details here? >> no, i can't. >> ms. yates, have you? 's to go yes, i have a know it can't give you details. stick another could get the details. later in the hearing, he said later she alerted the white house that national security advisor was not being honest with vice president mike pence about discussions flynn had with the russian ambassador concerning u.s. sanctions against the kremlin. and that made him susceptible to blackmail. listen to her again. >> it was clear from the vice president and others that they were repeating what general flynn had told them. and that this was a problem. because not only do we believe that the russians knew this but that they likely had proof of this information.
5:13 pm
>> michael flynn was of course fired for not telling his bosses about his talks with the russians. today, president trump tweeted quoting big history today between klapper and yates is on surveillance presumably the president's talking about him being surveilled. he goes on to say why doesn't the media report on this? hashtag fake news. the president said the russia-trump collusion story is a hoax. >> tucker: thanks, trace. time now for news abuse, we bring you the highlights of america's fading and rotten media establishment. elected president of france yesterday and according to "the new york times" which was exultant, we have pressed censorship to thank for his election. a trove of candidate emails was leaned onto the internet, the president little reporting on their content. in part because french law prohibits campaign reporting last two days before an election but it didn't stop there. even after the blackout ended,
5:14 pm
most media outlets in france ignored the leak in effect and its contents. as "the new york times" put it, "at the news media heated an admonition by the government's campaign regulatory body, not the published false news. no one alleged the emails were false, they were real which is why the need to be suppressed. "the new york times" applied that america could benefit from a similar arrangement here. "france does not have a mainstay of the british and american media landscape, a thriving tabloid culture and white wing broadcasters. the national front does not have the equivalent of bill o'reilly or sean hannity. the right wing commentators who help to shore up from his presidential bid. so the french government bullied news outlets to withhold potentially relevant information from venture voters just days before the election. the country lacks diverse media viewpoints and america's most prestigious news outlet is applauding all of this? the world has gone crazy. 50 years ago,
5:15 pm
"the new york times" sued the federal government for the right to publish leaked military papers that were classified. the pentagon papers and they won that case. today, it's reporters love the power of censorship to politicians they don't like. we have fallen a long way and were going still. it took about a decade, but we finally have an authoritative in-depth look on president obama's past. someone finally did the legwork. just ahead, we'll talk to pulitzer prize winning author of rising star, the making of barack obama. also, the nsa collected data on more than 150 million phone calls in this country last year. they said only a few dozen terrorist. up next, will talk to the man who is one of the nsa's top lawyers. stay tuned. hind the counter with claritin-d. [ upbeat music ] strut past that aisle for the allergy relief that starts working in as little as 30 minutes and contains the best
5:16 pm
oral decongestant. live claritin clear, with claritin-d. standby. hey katy, let me show you how behind schedule we are. yeah. are those the pyrotechnics that are gonna startle me from a distance? yep. and my impractical wardrobe changes, those all set? not even close. oh, this is probably going to shine in your eyes at the worst possible time. perfect. we're looking at a real train wreck here, am i right? wouldn't it be great if everyone said what they meant? the citi® double cash card does. it lets you earn double cash back with 1% when you buy, and 1% as you pay. the citi double cash card. double means double.
5:17 pm
i count on my dell small for tech advice. with one phone call, i get products that suit my needs and i get back to business. ♪ ♪
5:18 pm
on a perfect car, then smash it into a tree. your insurance company raises your rates. maybe you should've done more research on them. for drivers with accident forgiveness, liberty mutual won't raise your rates due to your first accident. switch and you could save $509 on auto insurance. call for a free quote today. liberty stands with you™. liberty mutual insurance. the shlike a bald penguin. how do i look? [ laughing ] show me the billboard music awards. show me top artist. show me the top hot 100 artist. they give awards for being hot and 100 years old? we'll take 2! [ laughing ] xfinity x1 gives you exclusive access to the best of the billboard music awards just by using your voice.
5:19 pm
the billboard music awards. sunday, may 21st eight seven central only on abc. >> tucker: two years ago, they passed legislation that was used to curb american's phone call. the law didn't seem to have stopped the nsa according to a report released recently despite having warrants targeting 42 suspected terrorism suspects, last year the national security agency managed to collect 150 million american phone call records. what is the nsa doing and does it justify the massive violation of your privacy? stuart baker with the general counsel of the usa, thanks for a lot for coming on. we have fewer than 50 according to the nsa terrorist in our sights, yet hundred 50 million americans have their meditated collected. >> 150 records were picked up,
5:20 pm
not americans. >> tucker: 150 million. >> nsa is doing exactly what congress told him to do. it said we want to keep this program, but when they set up the program, they set it up more or less to address a problem that they had seen with the 9/11 attackers. when they identified terrorist haven in yemen and they saw phone calls coming in, they didn't realize they were coming from the united states. so nsa said we need to find anybody who's in touch with the terrorist outside of united states and we want to as you'd expect if you're investigating somebody who's in touch with the terrace coming want to know who they are in touch with in the united states and who both people are in touch with. so when you do the math who, that turns out to be close to 115 million. >> tucker: the doubling or month. >> exactly. it's like that one grain, two
5:21 pm
grains, for grains on a chessboard and you end up with all the great in the world. >> tucker: everything you've said sounds reasonable and i want to believe it because i love the country and i know good people working government. but i also know people who work in the congress who say it's best to be overseeing an essay, providing oversight and we can't get information that we request from nsa. they just don't send it to us. is there actual oversight? >> that does not sound right at least as far as the intelligence committee is going. >> tucker: effort is from two different members of the intelligence committees within the last two months. >> i'm not aware of any reason why nsa would not provide anything that their overseers ask for. the entire culture of the national security agency is focused on obeying the law, compliance with the law, and i remember walking through with the attorney general, walking through and she stopped by a soldier, said to the soldier
5:22 pm
what you do if you find an american communications in the stream of intelligence? and he gave exactly the right answer. and afterwards, the attorney general said you're not supposed to ask a question if you don't know what the answers going to be. i said i knew exactly what the training here was going to be, what that guy had been through, and i knew he knew the answer and i'm surprise. >> tucker: but you sort of wonder, i wonder a lot of things about nsa but one is how would we really know? so it's obviously highly technical and highly classified and if i'm a member of congress on one of the committees and i call over and say that like to see this, and i'm sure i'm getting those things? status of the hardest problem with intelligence, gotta be secret and yet you want and the democracy to be sure that the government runs it and the intelligence committee is not running the government. the way we solve that or addressed it as least as there are multiple independent and
5:23 pm
rival senators of power all whom think their principal job, job one is to make sure that the intelligence community and some cases nsa don't violate the law. there's the justice department thinks that's their job, the general counsel and nsa think that's their job. there's a privacy officer in nsa who think that their job. two intelligence committees who think that's their job, the court think it's their job to write unheard on nsa. all of them are independent. all of them are going to make their careers they can find a violation of the law and all of them conduct investigations at various times. it's not perfect. but probably the most investigated agency that i can think of. >> and james clapper was running american intelligence went before congress and said were not spying on any american citizens and it turned out he was lying, did that shop you? >> i think either misunderstood
5:24 pm
the question, the real problem was he didn't back down pretty didn't admit he'd gotten it wrong. it was a trick question because who asked the question knew exactly what the answer was and he was trying to get the director of national intelligence to say something that would make the newspapers them. it was an unfair question. >> tucker: are you a spying on americans connect as he is pretty straightforward. >> but he would've had to say not surprisingly i can't answer about what i'm doing here in open session. he provided plenty of information, i'm not here to defend what he said, i'm certainly not his insistence on doubling down on it. >> but as a reasonable person, you're confident in his good faith. >> i am. he's a career guy. he served many republican as well as democratic administrations. >> tucker: thanks for joining us.
5:25 pm
appreciate it. a charity decided to help people by pointing out that obesity is linked to cancer in some studies in. now they're being denounced for something called fat shaming. we'll talk to a shrink going after them. next. then i found aleve pm. the only one to combine a safe sleep aid plus the 12 hour pain relieving strength of aleve. and now. i'm back! aleve pm for a better am. atmore than one flavor, oruch texture, or color.ing. a good clean salad is so much more than green. and with panera catering, more for your event. panera. food as it should be.
5:26 pm
choicehotels.com. badda book. that's it?. he means book direct at choicehotels.com for the lowest price on our rooms guaranteed. plus earn free nights and instant rewards at check-in. yeah. like i said. book now at choicehotels.com
5:27 pm
and the wolf huffed like you do sometimes, grandpa? which can make it hard to get air in. so i talked to my doctor.
5:28 pm
she said... symbicort could help you breathe better, starting within 5 minutes. symbicort doesn't replace a rescue inhaler for sudden symptoms. symbicort helps provide significant improvement of your lung function. symbicort is for copd, including chronic bronchitis and emphysema. it should not be taken more than twice a day. symbicort contains formoterol. medicines like formoterol increase the risk of death from asthma problems. symbicort may increase your risk of lung infections, osteoporosis, and some eye problems. you should tell your doctor if you have a heart condition or high blood pressure before taking it. symbicort could mean a day with better breathing. watch out, piggies! (child giggles) symbicort. breathe better starting within 5 minutes. get symbicort free for up to one year. visit saveonsymbicort.com today to learn more. >> tucker: one of the largest charities in the u.k. is being attacked for having the gall to say that being fat doesn't just sap your energy and hurt your dating prospects, it's also bad for you according to
5:29 pm
researchers. charity cancer research u.k. put up an ad in the undergrad in london warning that obesity after smoking is a leading preventable cause of cancer and for that bit of health advocacy, the charity is being denounced not for bad science and baby engaging in that, who knows, but for something called fat shaming, one of those in answers his psychologist bethany marshall and she joins us tonight. things a lot for coming on. i am not the kind of person who would attack people for their weight. i'm not that interested. i struggle with cheeseburgers myself so i'm not judging. they also think that scientists ought to be allowed to present the conclusions they reach without being attacked by interest groups and you seem like one of the interest groups. >> on the other hand, first of all, this is good science. he said you weren't sure about the science. there's a link between cancer and obesity. the problem is the body shaming and the blaming. if they want to blame, i have no problem with blame. why don't they blame manufacturers of sugary soda drinks?
5:30 pm
fast food restaurants that cluster in poor neighborhoods? the problem with this ad campaign as whoever came up with this really does not understand the link between psychobiological and psychological factors in obesity. for example, if you have an obese mother, you're much more likely to become obese. if you grew up in a poor neighborhood, you don't have access to fruits and vegetables were good nutrition. let's say you have a more sedentary lifestyle or in my field because i'm a psychoanalyst, let's say you're a victim of childhood trauma, childhood sexual abuse and because of that, you unconsciously walk around in a fat suit because you feel that that's the only way you can avoid being sexually abused, object of sexual intention. >> tucker: you're getting too deep for me, i may drown here. again, i'm not attacking fat people. i think the reason they put those ads up is that fat people
5:31 pm
like cigarette smokers are unpopular and unfashionable and fashionable people hate them aesthetically. but that aside, i think that you're making an argument for alcoholism as well. people are predisposed to it. they have all kinds of psychological reasons for it, but we don't excuse alcoholism. we say don't drink so much or get help or something. why is that different? >> but when we warn about alcoholism, we actually hope that people find resources. the problem with this ad campaign first of all, has that sort of that hangman type look to the ad. i don't know if you notice that. did you ever play that game in the third grade we try to guess the vowels and consonants and then if you get it wrong, then your home. i think they're sort of a sinister aspect of this. i think that when we help people with alcoholism, we hook them up with support groups. in this ad, is there any phone number? is there any support group? is there any anything that helps point a person?
5:32 pm
>> maybe were overthinking a little bit. speaking for my own extensive experience on this, i noticed that when i drink a ton of milkshakes and don't get out of my chair, i tend to gain weight. there is free will involved in this equation. i know for a fact, let's not pretend that people just sort of gain a lot of weight because they don't know why. >> i'm no stranger to a doughnut myself but it's actually more complex than that. one of the things we know about people who suffer from compulsive overeating is that they have a buildup of feelings outside of awareness that can only be neutralized by an act. so let's say if you were raised by a mall attuned mother, someone who doesn't understand your feeling state. every time you cry, every time you're upset, she put the bottle in your mouth or feeds you. you might grow up into an adult that whenever you're upset, hungry, angry, lonely, tired, you drink, you eat, so it's
5:33 pm
because you don't have a good understanding of your underlying feelings. >> tucker: i get it. i totally get it right on the other hand -- i think a lot of the psychobabble stuff may be true, but it doesn't answer the basic question which is at what age are you responsible for your own life? is there a cut off? is a 30, is it 40, is it 50? at what point you stop saying my mom did this to me and start taking responsibility for your own actions. is there an age? >> that's an excellent question. i suppose that we help our children take responsibility for themselves. are you a dad? don't you help your kids take responsibility for themselves? >> tucker: if my kids ever have problems and say mom was mean to me, you can't do that. i'm sorry, you're 30 years old, you're doing this. stop it. right? >> here's a problem with the ad. of course, we'll have to take response building for ourselves. but what if you're obese, you're unaware of the factors that have led to be obesity, you're a
5:34 pm
victim of childhood sexual abuse, you're humiliated, you're ashamed, you stand in front of that sign, now it makes you feel even more ashamed. what are you going to go out and do? you're going to go and eat even more. so with the tactic that i'm arguing with. it's not the fact that people shouldn't take responsibility for themselves, but you cannot scare people into losing weight. >> tucker: that's not true. you can scare people into anything. i've been scared into losing weight. i've got to say, even i'm argument against you, i know the people who put this add up are not people i would want to have dinner with. i just know that. so i'm arguing against my own position. doctor marshall, thank you for joining us tonight. great to see you. >> thank you. >> tucker: a massive thousand page biography of president obama's early years just came out, is definitive and has a lot of facts and information. stuff you should have known it but didn't. we'll talk to the books pulitzer prize-winning author. in case you want to lower your cancer risk, lena dunham has put
5:35 pm
out a very interesting list of tips for slimming down. you won't believe what they are. it's at the weirdest story of the day? maybe. our panel is here to decide. dad, one second i was driving and then the next... they just didn't stop and then... i'm really sorry. i wrecked the subaru. i wrecked it. you're ok. that's all that matters. (vo) a lifetime commitment to getting them home safely. love. it's what makes a subaru, a subaru. i'm leaving you, wesley. but why? you haven't noticed me in two years. i was in a coma. well, i still deserve appreciation. who was there for you when you had amnesia? you know i can't remember that. stop this madness.
5:36 pm
if it's appreciation you want you should both get snapshot from progressive. it rewards good drivers with big discounts on car insurance. i have news. i've used most of our cellular data. come on, susan lucci! ♪
5:37 pm
5:38 pm
5:39 pm
>> tucker: after close to a decade of waiting, we have finally received a book with all the information about barack obama. it might have been good to know before he was elected president. the book is called rising star, it is an exhaustive thousand page look at the former president's life prior to being elected. the books author he joins us now. and for coming on. >> thank you. >> tucker: so the question is, many questions, but you found material in this book not previously uncovered during his entire presidency, his years in the senate and, the fact that he was a subject of a number of books. what did it take you to find this? >> it's remarkable that someone could twice be elected president of the united states, serve
5:40 pm
eight years, and huge pieces of his earlier life remained undiscovered. and it's not just a girlfriend in. it's his closest intellectual companion, his closest friend from harvard law school, the person who actually helped edit his autobiography memoir, dreams from my father. it's remarkable that journalists didn't do this basic legwork back in 2007-2008. >> tucker: in the book, you say that the former president reached out during the course of a splitter go career to a number of people who might have given interviews and laid on them not to talk to journalist because they might hurt him. to think that was part of the problem? >> the barack obama from 1985 to 2002 in illinois was a wonderful progressive politician. i'm a progressive democrat
5:41 pm
myself. but the barack obama that we saw in the white house when we see nowadays is a fundamentally different person from who he was in the 1990s. and it's that intellectual and political evolution that is what this book really discovers and captures. >> tucker: so i know you're a man of the left and i've always thought of you that way and with that in mind, i was struck by the epilogue to the book, the 40 or 60 pages at the end where you sum up what you've learned about president obama and i think it's fair to call it very negative, very tough on him. are those judgments that you made after collecting all the evidence and were you surprised to read that conclusion? >> i was surprised at how the obama presidency turned out, and it is a critical epilogue from the perspective of a progressive democrat. when barack was in illinois, he
5:42 pm
was an outspoken proponent of single-payer health coverage, an outspoken critic of the patriot act and the intelligence community and the cia. so the obama that we have seen as president has been a dramatically different person up through 2002, brock lived a very modest, humble, middle-class life. now here we are in 2017 and we see him hobnobbing with celebrities and musicians and billionaires, getting $400,000 in speech. he's a a very different person today from who he was from 1985 through 2002 and that's what this book explains. >> tucker: so i think it's fair to say you look at him more closely than ever living person perhaps other than his wife and you reach the conclusion in the
5:43 pm
epilogue that he is -- i think i'm quoting pretty much more or less a hollow man. you're not sure that the center of him. >> as a progressive democrat, i'm disturbed and perplexed that he has changed so dramatically over the last 15 years. we look at his record back in illinois in the 1990s up to 2002, you would think we knew who he was. but he has turned out to be a different person then we would have protected. >> tucker: you think is a good person? >> he was certainly a very good person from 1985 till 2002. about the desire to succeed, the desire to win, the need to become president changed him. fundamentally changed him, and that to me is a fundamentally sad story.
5:44 pm
>> tucker: you write that michelle obama was not his first choice for a wife. explain the criteria he used to make that decision. on who to marry. >> from 1986 through 1991, brock had a very intense, important, formative relationship with a woman who was half dutch, half japanese. a wonderful woman, woman who like myself as an academic, a scholar. journalists never discovered her back in 2007-2008 but anyone could have by working into the library of university of chicago and who else lived at barack's address. but it's not just her. his closest friend in law school, rob, who helped him write and edit and hone dreams from my father, they were these formative people in brock's
5:45 pm
early life who american journalism failed to discover for years. >> tucker: it seems like at key points in his life, obama made decisions that were not -- not human decisions. he seemed to make decisions -- going back a long time including on who he married and there's a coldness. i'm not being political in this. this comes out in your pages, a coldness at the center of the guy that's really striking. >> i think there is an ambition, a deep, profound political ambition, which brock articulated as early as 1987 to the people with whom he was closest then and that ambition was a formative part of his lif life. joining jeremiah wright, trinity was a part of that too. >> tucker: the last question,
5:46 pm
you describe yourself as a progressive, is a man of the left. "the new york times" has attacked your book savagely and review and the main problem here to me that you criticized saying to obama at the end of your book. given that your book has this critical assessment at its end, are you surprised that the left can't deal with that apparently? >> i think in today's culture and today's politics, unfortunately, we sometimes see partisanship trumping -- a verb i like -- trumping professionalism. i'm an academic, a scholar, historian. it's sad "the new york times" gives into partisan fervor, but i am playing a long game. i'm a scholar. in this book will be the authoritative account of barack obama's prepresidential life. i believe for decades to come. >> tucker: that is without question true and good for you to doing all the work required to produce it. thank you.
5:47 pm
just handed out new acting awards in hopes it will break down gender roles. it that the days weirdest story? there's competition. this lovely lady has a typical airline credit card. so she only earns double miles on purchases she makes from that airline. what'd you earn double miles on, please? ugh. that's unfortunate. there's a better option. the capital one venture card. with venture, you earn unlimited double miles on every purchase, everywhere, every day.
5:48 pm
not just airline purchases. seems like a no-brainer. what's in your wallet? thithis is the new new york.e? think again. we are building new airports all across the state. new roads and bridges. new mass transit. new business friendly environment. new lower taxes. and new university partnerships to grow the businesses of tomorrow today. learn more at esd.ny.gov we always take time getting to know you, so we can ensure you hear what matters most in your world. grandpa! (vo) call, click or come in today to learn how to start your better days. miracle-ear...hear a better day. ♪ it's not just a car, it's your daily treat. ♪
5:49 pm
go ahead, spoil yourself. the es and es hybrid. experience amazing.
5:50 pm
5:51 pm
>> tucker: time now for top facts. as you know every day, all sorts of bizarre things in the news. what's the news? we created a panel to make that choice. joining us tonight, catherine lyons managing editor of famous tc and aaron mick pike, white house correspondent for ij r. catherine, you first. >> if you insist. lena dunham is making headlines. she's firing back at "us weekly" for using a picture of her on the cover of their magazine without her permission and associating it with the headline
5:52 pm
"20 slim down diet tips stars are using." she did not want to be associated with this headline, so she posted on instagram, she posted the image and a very lengthy caption saying that she has her own reasons for diet and weight loss and that she is associating her own with anxiety disorder and mocking the magazine basically attribute and it also into politics and planned parenthood cuts and she's just -- >> tucker: planned parenthood costs caused her to lose weight connect is not a recognized weight loss technique? >> apparently according to lena dunham, she's blaming politics. >> tucker: hasn't helped me at all. >> scaring you into losing weight. >> tucker: can you beat that? >> mtv movie awards last night gave a gender-neutral acting award not for the first time, for the third time, they did it
5:53 pm
to get into thousand six and 2007. last night to give to emma watson for beauty and the beast. and here's the issue with that. this is extensively about women's empowerment, this could be good but it's about women's empowerment and they give it to a disney princess. >> tucker: was genderless, so how could it be empowering women if it's not gender specific? 's because they gave the reward in 2006 and 2007. they brought it back the year after the first female nominee for president loss to a man. so that's why i think they brought that award back. but it's not even about gender politics, people bring up identity politics when it's convenient for them. think about the rose garden ceremony, the victory lap after the house about on thursday and a lot of liberals were upset because the picture was mostly white men and there was one woman in the picture. the question was how could these guys know anything about women's health? i had a problem with that particular thing. sure, it was optically bad but
5:54 pm
there's only one democratic woman on the summit foreign relations committee. there are a zero republican women and has anyone ever said a thing about it? no, they don't deal with women's issues. >> tucker: the gender-neutral part, that's not identity, the lack of identity, right? sticker you see the point. they're bringing it up after last year's election. >> tucker: i don't even understand your story but i know i'm against it. but i like it. yours has lena dunham and it so you can't win, i'm sorry. you win, and you get today's participations trophy. >> the last thing that needs to be politicized, is the last thing that we have. >> tucker: thanks both of you very much for joining us. coming up next, sometimes it's a company is brilliant effort to curb greenhouse gases by changing the world's eating habits. you're probably not going to like it, but your pet frog might. stay tuned to find out what that means. ♪
5:55 pm
♪ i'm dr. kelsey mcneely and some day you might be calling me an energy farmer. ♪ energy lives here. there's nothing more than my vacation.me so when i need to book a hotel room, i want someone that makes it easy to find what i want. booking.com gets it. they offer free cancellation, in case i decide to go from kid-friendly to kid-free. now i can start relaxing even before the vacation begins. your vacation is very important. that's why booking.com makes finding the right hotel for the right price easy. visit booking.com now to find out why we're booking.yeah try new flonase sensimistgies. instead of allergy pills. it delivers a gentle mist to help block six key inflammatory substances.
5:56 pm
most allergy pills only block one. new flonase sensimist.
5:57 pm
5:58 pm
>> tucker: all right. picture this idea.
5:59 pm
i sunny memorial day weekend. a cloudless day. burgers on the grill. it may be a few beers. here's the bad news. liberals hate virtually everything about that picture. very much including the warm weather and burgers, they are bad for the environment. how? stop asking questions and have a bug. have an insect. the left wants you to eat insects. new scientific paper says in order to cut greenhouse gases, people ought to start eating bugs. replacing half the world's meat consumption with mealworms and crickets would cut farm land use a third, for reasons they never bothered to explain. of course it wouldn't be good for farmers. if science commands it, obviously we will do it. but you first. if i'm going to give up grilled meat for warms, i will need leonardo dicaprio to show me the way. i am in. let us know. that is it for us tonight.
6:00 pm
tune in every night at 8:00 p.m. to the show that is the sworn enemy of lying, pomposity, smugness and groupthink. our friends at "the five," next. ♪ >> hello, everyone. i am kimberly guilfoyle. it is 9:00 in new york city, and this is at "the five" ." ♪ former president obama just can't help himself. his presidency with one of the most politically decide demonic divisive times in history. the former commander in chief seem to have a convenient case of amnesia when he lectured about the current political climate. >> everhe

117 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on