On the cause and effects of floods and waste lands drained by the Mississippi River. Reel 1 traces the growing of the river from its sources to the Gulf of Mexico. Shows construction of levees, cotton picking, river shipping, and lumbering activities. Reel 2 consists mostly of various scenes of the river during the 1937 flood. Includes shots of cotton being loaded on ships. Reel 3 shows flood damage and activities in a Southern home which reflect poverty. Shows construction of Norris Dam and Wheeler Dam and activities of the CCC, FSA, and the Forest Service in restoring the Tennessee Valley.
National Archives Identifier: 13593
Local Identifier: 96.1
* Creator(s): Department of Agriculture. Farm Security Administration. Information Division. (ca. 1937 - ca. 1942) (Most Recent)
* From: Series : Motion Picture Films, compiled ca. 1936 - 1937
* Record Group 96: Records of the Farmers Home Administration, 1918 - 1975
* Level of Description: Item
* Type(s) of Archival Materials: Moving Images
* This item's copyright was established: 1937
The creator compiled or maintained the series between: ca. 1936 - 1937
* General Note(s): Credits: Director and writer, Pare Lorentz; narrator, Thomas Chalmers; music, Virgil Thomson; photography, Stacy Woodward, Floyd Crosby, Willard Van Dyke; editors, Leo Zockling, Lloyd Nosler.