Natural history of psychotic illness in childhood.
- Publication date
- New York, N.Y. : New York University
- Digitizing sponsor
- Internet Archive
- Internet Archive
Produced by the University of London's Institute of Psychiatry
Traces the gradual unfolding of the psychotic process in childhood reconstructed from three material sources: a family album of photographs, a motion picture, and and objective diary kept by the mother. Follows the patient from ages one to nine, until she is placed in Maudsley Hospital, London, where she remains for two years
- 2015-02-02 23:39:58
- color: Good sound: Good synch: Good notes:
- It's. In any group of normal children there's an expectation of mental health which best comparison with that of adults populations about the one percent are destined to become severe in that adjusted two percent delinquent ten percent educationally subnormal and up to thirty percent. Disturbed to the extent of requiring psychiatric guidance. Amount children admitted to hospital for psychiatric reasons. All forms of disturbed behavior are exaggerated. Yet in spite of this they can be observed. Playing together and making friends. Very occasionally amongst us to very disturbed children a child may be seen quite out of touch with the rest of the group living apparently in a world of a certain this is a psychotic child. We're now going to tell you the last story of Margaret who developed a psychotic illness early in her childhood in most cases where a child is brought to the clinic we have to rely on mother's fault him in red for the early history but with Margaret we have that are the Spurs will three reliable contemporary sources of information have family photographic album a detailed direct animals in picture record. All these were intended to depict her general development but the came with the sad turn of events an actor to come and tread on the answering of a psychosis. Markets family live in a country town not far from London. They occupy a small semi detached council house in a quiet neighborhood. Their lives are centered around a local church to which they belong. It's her father is an experimental engineer shy and a sociable or he spends his time on scientific research deal with space travel and is also an amateur photographer. Mother is uncertain of herself and I'm doing the anxious to please as a child she was left out of children's groups earn to her timidity and lack of push she felt that having children of her own would compensate for this past isolation are neither side of the family is there any history of mental illness. Father's camera gave Margaret a match for to graft infancy she was the first of three children to enter the family album. Pregnancy and birth for an adventure for she was given the breast for five months but it was difficult to feed since you tend to fall asleep but she was cut instruments smilingly responsive at five months. Fans that took him to candidate and mother kept a diary of Margaret's progress for his benefit. Mark that's now five months old and driving she's very good and hardly ever solves a nappy. Not to stock always makes her cry as you can. Pain in the bathtub that is not a baby mermaid she really they see tempered mismatch beautifully at everyone. He recognizes faces magazines and is tremendously attracted brightly coloured things he seems in time community can use this is a citizens we are have a having topple this have seating but any unexpected signs of sound keep brings up all her foolish it seems to be a nervous complaint. Proper turn from Canada Opera six months for the Senate camera and began to fill her regularly. His first film showed her preoccupation with things she was always investigating him pulling them apart. She was now taking her food well watched anxiously about her mother who was easily upset by minor setbacks she seemed overzealous to make a success of Margaret. At sixteen months she went to stay with her grandparents but who she was rather unhappy but she's disappeared a very normal child. As energetic and acrobatic as a years would allow her to be and then to complain of little bumps and bruises she was happiest of the seaside and loves playing the water it was sometimes difficult to get her to come out of it. The family dogs to fragment when he barked but gradually under Mother situation she learnt to pet him. To. Know how she wasn't talking as much as before and spent a lot of time standing aimlessly about. Had three she reacted badly to the birth of the next baby at a time when she needed them most have parents were preoccupied with the newcomer. Despite their encouragement she showed little Kenyan affection for her brother. Amount To difference in her behavior now the came apparent she stopped being careful and developed a host of fears these with some time so intense that her legs folded up under her and whole body as a mother put it resembles a person in a nightmare. These attacks of terror work amp it by a wild uncontrollable screaming gradually she became less interested in people and more absorbed in herself and her own activities she constantly complained about bricks in the ads and when Grafton persistent Claire although there was little evidence of there being anything the matter with them. She did. Little notice of her brother but would imitate many of the movements that he made. Once he was able to get on his feet. Although she screamed a great deal for no apparent reason she seldom complained of hurt and gave very this like expression of pain. Even during this turbulent period in her own setting at home she looked like a normal four year old child but the changes that work inside was soon to become external and obvious. The turbulence rapidly subsided and the fearfulness and screaming. Gave place to withdrawal and rigid behaviour she now began to look queer in addition to behaving quivered and his speech became uncommunicative and parrot like. Over and over again she would repeat the same phrases. What's the matter with you. Don't scream NO was frightening you darling you mustn't tear the pictures she's not really a bad Maggie or bad girl don't beat Maggie and so on. She seemed to resent any close contact and when checked herself three from it. Under conditions of excitement like many psychotic children she made flapping movements. Another visit to the seaside rock out these new bizarre qualities she was now a mast in her own words and no longer appear to be as her parents put it a real person. The life had gone out of her. This striking change from an energetic interested and extremely happy child into an unresponsive automaton who never smiled a tall also showed up in the pages of the family album. She. Made light so difficult for the family that she was sent away to a special school he became too disturbing for them to manage and was admitted at the age of eleven to the more obscure hospital. At her first appearance there. Her stiff and clumsy gate was at once. Noticeable together with her general emotional Stephanus and our mannerisms. Her. Daily. Round is simple and bearable. Depending on chance encounters with her environment. She stumbles by accident on some pleasurable activity and keeps to it for as long as she was left alone the shin a physical action of learning self bubbles staring the soap solutions or littering the selfie tube to sever the tremulous excitement. Is interfered with at all in her enjoyment she tends to respond not with anger but with a vague hapless type of behavior. Something intermediate between fighting flights. Have feelings are then displaced into some irrelevant activity like spitting and smearing the spirits. When things that she desires are beyond her reach she makes use of adults around her as tools to achieve her purpose but without in any way forming a relationship with them. She makes no friends and is an constable and a base of when approached a friendly way about the children who often react in a very positive way to her helplessness. She's an able to walk talk play or even fight with them. Tourney instead the less demanding in enemy objects from time to time in the world of playground she can be coaxed to join in group activities. These represent her only contact with other children during the course of the day. She is able to only to cooperate in such a games when they can give her the sensations which she craves. She looks most pleased when jumping all singing and it's quick to learn the simple sensory motor rules involved. Isolation in a group and preoccupation with her own needs can be observed when the children are having a meal together she will go through the motions of response has been saying grace but it is only an income Principle number. She will allow us to help her but chose not a trace of bacteria. She complies with the social demand however and eats with a fork or spoon but outside the set mirrors and on her own she uses her hands. Sheets very skillfully off a plate but it's equally prepared to eat off the ground. There is an animal reddish to her eating and at times her whole body shares in it are facial mannerisms also tend to make their appearance at this time. Between courses if there's any delay she will get up and paced the room restlessly. At. The end of of course again conforming like the other children. Sure after her empty plate to be taken away and receive a new one. The moving her plate before she had finished. Occasions her nurse surprise surprise is in fact and emotion rarely seen in these psychotic children. It's. In the classroom. Her random behavior in a room full of well occupied children is a striking phenomenon. She wins a solitary passage through the busy room but that's so much as a glance at anyone and without any of this A except define for herself some an opulent corner preferably a near a radiator and is far from human contact as possible. Objects are of value only when they can be examined against the surface of put into the mouth. At times she can be induced to turn the pages of a book or magazine but not to look at them. Concepts and symbols appear to play no part in her life and she's able to learn only on the sensory motor level. Every now and then she spent the weekend a term destructing It's quiet in the only way once is a seldom raised in this house are but with Marcus coming the youngest child is apt to show a mixture of suspicion and resentment in the handling of the children the parents manifest an intolerance of aggressive and impolite behavior as long as the turn of quietly occupied reading of constructing their kind of encouraging but any dissension there become the major play tents. In spite of her gentleness mother was unable to establish a comfortable and secure relationship with her children she is constantly perplexed by their behavior and her movements towards them are lacking insensitivity. Faltered kind and considerate in his handling of MARGARET But her difficulties in making and tolerating physical contact are exaggerated by his to finesse. Mother's determination to make normal contact with Margaret is apt to grab her first of insert it into her autism. Her great pleasure at home lies in the garden which are followed her endless possibilities for a treat. Behind some bush she can often be heard singing wordless method is with magnificent tune from this father's main complaint is that she picks his flowers. Under his guidance. She has learned to ride a classical. Water hose especial fascination for her as do also call primitive materials with the won't drink and to play with she once again shows the template excitement that goes with her experience of pleasant physical sensations in this state she would also DRAM out a complex rhythm and a member in articulate clear. Like many siblings of psychotic children her brother seems deeply involved in her strange predicament animal often forces contact on her to the pointed which a normal child might reasonably get exasperated. Although she shakes him of she takes his teasing with apparent good humor and he can often provoke such a laugh and a happy spontaneous where. His relationship with her is the nearest thing to a normal one that she's able to make. Where has this unfortunate girl to end the child who started lived with such energy and impetus is now drifting into an apathetic and pointless existence there is some therapeutic and research provision made for her until the age of twelve but at adolescence she becomes the Cinderella of psychiatry it then if you want a psychotic child at this age she is not considered suitable for the lower grade institutions and it's still too young for the mental hospitals but these are the places to achieve sooner or later. Compared to go to be enough to venture among the defectives and out psychotics. With the Mental Health Organization at our disposal we must recognize her special problem and the challenge she presents.
- Run time
- Internet Archive HTML5 Uploader 1.6.1
- Lasergraphics ScanStation
- Worldcat (source edition)
Subject: For JayKay49
Subject: Looup DNST3 Gene 'Variations'
Subject: Absolute lies
Autism is at an all time high because of vaccines. Why do people still trust those things when its proven they are not safe! But dont worry, we still have GMOs and all kids of chemicals classified as preservatives or flavor additives. And a byproduct of aluminum known as fluoride that so many people defend because of BS lab reports. Tooth decay was on the way down a long time before Alcoa found a way to sell its waste products by polluting the water and slowly poisoning us
Subject: A Rather Unusual Case
Uploaded by MichelleK on