Pac-Man Transcode is the result of an 8-month effort by Glen Hewlett to transcode the assembly-language routines of Pac-Man to a Radio Shack Color Computer 3 (Coco3). The process of experimentation, improvement, and ultimate success has been covered in his blog starting with this entry
Currently, working with this in-browser emulation is a little non-intuitive and difficult. Helpful instructions:
- When the screen boots, enter RUN"PACMAN"
- Please note: The " (quotes) character is SHIFT-2.
- The loading screen will show a large pac-man and a bar along the bottom for progress, and then say "DECOMPRESSING". The title screen will then appear.
- At the title screen, use the arrow keys to change controls from "JOYSTICK" (the default) to "KEYBOARD", or you can't use the arrow keys during the game.
- After making any selections, press SPACE to start the game up (with system check and attract mode).
- Press 5 to insert a coin. Press 1 or 2 to start a one or two-player game.
- A or Z will scroll the screen up or down, if automatic scroll isn't selected