Eye Cu Smile V2 Transparent Face Covering Kit / Clear Mask NanoHack Copper3D Filter (4598055)
There Is No Preview Available For This Item
This item does not appear to have any files that can be experienced on Archive.org.
Please download files in this item to interact with them on your computer.
Show all files
- Publication date
- faceshield, covid-19, nanohack, air_filter, assistive_technology, face, AssistiveTech, face_shield, airfilter, disabled, Facemask, ClearMasksForAll, coronavirus_defend, assistive_device, surgical_mask, disability, COVID19, hackthepandemic, Coronavirus_Face_Mask, disinfection, Covid, COVIDFACESHIELD, Corona, coronavirus, smiley_face, transparent, pandemic, FaceCoveringChallenge, stl, covidmask, smile, transparent_filament, antiviral, thingiverse, filter, deaf, copper, Costume, covid_19
Detailed Assembly and printing instruction pdfs supplied in this listing.
I call it the 'Eye Cu Smile' transparent mask / face covering Version 2. This is my daily driver in a factory setting with all the upgrades. Highly recommend the LED lighting for sci fi look in low light. It’s a lot of fun to be able to smile at people again. But also important for the deaf community who rely on lip reading and are left isolated. I have friends with disabled kids and some that act as interpreters for deaf parents. Hearing of their daily persecution and distress spurred me on to address the design challenges. I believe it is now viable and a cheaper proposition to other sealed and filtering transparent mask propositions. I wanted to democratize them hence will share all my designs free of cost. Its not fair that the deaf must wear face shields when we know they are ineffective on their own in enclosed rooms. They need a filtered clear reliable solution that anyone can wear. #ClearMasksForAll
V2 is the culmination of months of testing in various environments of the original V1 prototype which can be found here with the development updates. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4577648
Named because it was designed to bring smiles back into our daily lives. Especially for the vulnerable and disabled children confused and perturbed by this strange new world we find ourselves in. 'Cu' because of the optional Nanohack self sterilizing pre filter meshes.
NON 3D PRINTED TOOLS AND MATERIALS REQUIRED FOR ASSEMBLY AND USE
- Large heavy duty zip lock bag.
For Regular frame size:
○ Minimum size zip lock bag: (11" x 16" - 279mm x 406mm)
○ Suggested size bag used in pictures: (15" x 20" - 381mm x 508mm)
§ Assembly is much easier if you have lots of excess material to work with as with the suggested size.
§ Other flexible plastics can be used but heavy duty zip lock bags tend to be tough and cheap with a double wall.
- Common surgical mask
○ Used as donor filter material. Can make multiple filter sets from one surgical mask.
- 20mm Elastic
- Spontex absorbent kitchen sponge cloths or similar
- Washing up liquid
- Kitchen or workshop disposable towel
- Sharp scissors
○ KNIPEX Electricians' Shears make it easy due to short cutting edge.
- Permanent marker pen
BASE DESIGN FEATURES
- DETAILED ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS see attached assembly instructions pdf
- HALF FACE RESPIRATOR STYLE thick 20mm elastic for comfort and fine adjustment. No knots required, pull to tighten.
- CURVED SLEEKER APPEARANE introduced in V2 to improve aesthetics after technical challenges had been overcome on ugly V1.
- HIGH CLARITY from a variety of viewing angles.
○ Front, and side views
○ Lips visibility when head tilted down also.
○ Hence Filters at bottom for V2.
- AVAILABLE IN REGULAR OR SMALL SIZES see flat pack face covering kit listing.
○ Filter hole stencil stl provided and referenced in the guide. Print for easier assembly.
- SILICONE D FOAM PADDING - Comfortable, durable and improves air tight seal compared to standard foam strip.
- HUMIDITY CONTROL - Using absorbent kitchen sponge towels.
- ANTI-FOG - Using washing up liquid hydrophobic inner coating.
- SEAL INTEGRITY / AIR LEAK CHECK - By covering filter caps with hands and blowing to make positive pressure.
- FLATPACK FACE COVERING KIT AS A BASE, a Zip lock bag and custom filter housings to make the flexible body of the transparent mask.
- OPTIMISED RIBS specific to Eye Cu Smile remix.
○ 3 options available
§ EyeCuSmile_Ribs_V2_RoundedNose.stl - best visibility
§ Or various developmental ribs models used in the flat pack face covering kit and Version 1 listing of this design.
- COMMON SURGICAL MASK FILTER MATERIAL - Effective against viruses but less than n95. Better than an unsealed surgical mask.
- CUSTOM FILTER ASSEMBLIES with specific raised edge features to seal and durable threads for high torque.
○ Can be clamped to any flexible material for other projects. EG Halloween costumes.
- NANOHACK PRE FILTER PROTECTION MESH - Using Copper3D PLACTIVE that kills viruses in seconds. Or standard filament disinfected daily.
- KEYSTONE - Keeps assembly taught and filter assemblies in place.
How to guides at end of assembly instructions pdf
- THERMOFORMING - More comfortable and significantly more durable.
- LED INTERNAL LIGHTING - LED pool lights with holder in custom Keystone. Diffused for no glare. A must have for lip reading.
- ADAPTABLE FILTER MATERIAL - Can use cotton tea towel cut outs, hydro knit towels, make up pads. See instructions.
- TRANSPARENT FRAMES AND FILTERS
○ FDM transparent PET G = cloudy but lets skin color through
○ Or using SLA resin printer = almost clear but needs lots of cleaning, ideal for filter assemblies.
○ Or Laser cut frames in acrylic / PVC on a K40 laser = 100% clear frames
- ANTI GLARE COATING - using matt clear automotive lacquer or cinematography temporary matt clear anti-glare spray on the outside of the face covering.
- INTERNAL MICROPHONE FOR PRESENTING - Using sweatproof boom type Bluetooth handsfree ear piece.
- NATURAL UV DISINFECTION - The sun is the best virus killer
○ Transparent means light will penetrate all over but degrade the zip lock bag over time. PET G is resistant but not immune. Can also be left in a sunny position such as a conservatory or porch window and rotated with 3 separate assemblies over 3 days in order to disinfect with natural UV sunlight. UV is the best virus killer.
○ UV-C devices on amazon are dangerous beyond belief. Looking into a UV-C light for a few seconds is equivalent to staring at the sun for minutes but you feel no pain as your retinas are permanently damaged. UV-C is highly effective but only advisable for professionals trained in its dangers to human health and safe use practices.
TIPS FOR OPTIMAL USE
- Breathe in through your mouth
○ And out through your nose…… You'll release far less vapor that way between talking
§ Reduces the frequency of sponge replacement and washing up liquid re coating.
- Carry spare washing up liquid in a small bottle, some tissues and replacement sponge cloth cut outs for all day use.
- You can limit humidity build up during the day by only using this design when facial interaction or lip reading are necessary.
○ Swapping for a traditional mask when not.
○ If it is left in open air and especially sunlight all humidity built up within will evaporate over time.
- Don’t lay assembly face down during daily use
○ Zip lock plastic is soft and stretchy and can scuff up quickly on hard surfaces.
- Project your voice
○ Any sealed mask will muffle voice to some degree. Minimal on this design if the clear plastic is taught.
- Control your breathing to draw air in and out of filters
○ Your lungs are driving the pressure to force air in and out.
○ Shallow breathing won't be effective.
○ Try to take long controlled breathes in between speech to draw large amounts of fresh air in.
○ If this is too difficult or uncomfortable try hydroknit towel or thick kitchen towel or cotton pads instead to breathe easier with a less restrictive filter.
- Carry a backup mask eg surgical or simple cloth mask
○ Don’t get caught out.
○ This is a 3D printed prototype not a commercially certified product. Dependent on how its made the quality will be highly variable. My frames last weeks before signs of wear but your experience may not be the same until printer settings are fully dialed in as per the flatpack face covering kit printing instructions
○ Don’t stress the frames more than needed when tightening the elastic, silicone foam should be effective at low tension and can be checked. Take care not to stretch the plastic more than needed when removing from back of neck as this can case failure of the elastic frame over multiple days. Thermo forming solves this.
MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE for daily 8 hour shift use e.g. humid factory setting. Must be followed or there is a risk to health.
- Re apply washing up liquid anti fog coating and insert new absorbent sponge before every use.
○ Repeat every 2-4 hours as necessary dependent on weather and activity. E.g. 1 hour for bicycle riding in summer.
○ Carry 1 spare sponge for every 2 hours of planned use and a small bottle and tissue for washing up liquid re application as necessary. Dispose of the sponge in a sanitary way immediately after use. Do not re use.
- Sterilize the entire assembly with alcohol at 70% / surgical spirit / anti-bacterial spray immediate after every use and wash hands after putting it down. Do not touch face or anything in your home until mask is disinfected and your hands are clean upon returning. Without disinfection the viruses could live on the zip lock bag plastic for days and spread via fomites in your home.
- Replace surgical mask cut out filter material daily at same time as disinfection. Wash hands after handling as they are specifically designed to trap virus particles. Good idea to make and store multiples ahead of time using paperclips to hold layers together.
- Replace heavy duty zip lock bag every 1-3 days. Daily if required for professional lip reading use. Avoids inevitable contaminant build up in zip lock bag creases that disinfection may not reach.
UPGRADES UNDER DEVELOPMENT
Design is now fixed regarding the frame and filters. These features will take time to develop and are planned with backwards compatibility in mind. If anyone wishes to collaborate and help make these a reality get in contact with the FullPlasticScientist on thingiverse or on twitter.
- USB FORCED INLET AND OUTLET AIR using 5015 usb radial fans.
○ Very high airflow on max voltage, definitely capable of shifting high volumes of air through a filter.
○ Keeps mask perfectly clear and free from humidity.
○ Feels amazing to have a constant fresh breeze across your face.
○ Runs on USB powerpacks all day.
○ Testing revealed require either advanced pressure controlled fan speeds or a manual balancing of fan speeds.
§ Backpressure of fans cause them to temporarily overload and fight your breath on extract. Will fail within hours at 100% fan speed
§ Several simple 3D printed fan pressure/flow control methods being tested over coming months.
○ Will post as a remix if successful.
- CONVERT FILTER ASSEMBLY TO MINI USB AIR PURIFIER e.g. when taking off to eat at a restaurant. Prototype V1 testing complete. Will post soon….
- ALTERNATIVE PLASTIC to zip lock bags
○ Zip lock bags a cheap solution but need a more permanent, easily trimmable, durable transparent plastic sheeting. Using horticultural grade clear plastic sheets. Will affect assembly.
- ALTERNATIVE ANTI GLARE COATINGS on window outer surface.
- KIDS GRUFFALO HALLOWEEN COSTUME REMIX it's an abomination!
Due to the smaller filter area of this design it is advised that people with breathing difficulties do not attempt to use this mask. I would also not advise giving them to children.
If at any time it feels like your breathing is too restricted and you can't get enough air through the filters then take off the face covering immediately and check that there is nothing blocking the filters. If the problem persists select a face covering with a larger surface area such as hydro knit towel on the standard flat pack face covering kit.
It is not advisable to use n95 filters in this housing as they will be too restrictive, they are designed for use with surgical mask cut out discs, hydro knit shop towel cut out discs (4 ply) or cotton make up pads. For n95 or HEPA level filtration the filter will need to be redesigned for a larger surface area in a remote package.
Humidity will build inside the sealed plastic air volume over time as it cannot escape through the filters. This would be solved by adding a vent but that defeats the point of wearing a face covering that protects others and doesn’t meet with UK advice for shops anymore.
Guidance on how to prevent the face covering misting up and to address the humidity are in the assembly instructions. After more than a couple of hours of use it is likely the face covering will need to be removed to let the humidity out or it could start to make breathing uncomfortable due to the high humidity within it. This is the case for all N95 masks without a vent. This could be particularly uncomfortable for people with lung conditions such as asthma.
LICENSE AND SELLING OF FACE COVERING KITS
We share these files under non-commercial license. It would be great if you donated these face covering kits to those in need for free. If you need to cover your production costs, we are ok with you selling the face covering kits for production cost. However, we do not want to see these kits on eBay or amazon for extortionate costs. The design is open to the community for modification and improvement. You do not need to accredit me with the design. I just want to get it out there for others to use and improve upon.
Recipients of the flat pack face covering kits are responsible for using their own judgement before deciding to order, receive, distribute and use these flat pack face covering kits in any setting. This flat pack face covering kit can play a part in reducing risk to users, but they are responsible for following established government and their institutional guidance as to how to protect themselves from COVID-19. These flat pack face covering kits are disposable single use only. Discard after use. Do not reuse or re-sterilise. It is expected that these flat pack face covering kits will be used as a last resort in conjunction with eye protection in accordance with the relevant guidelines. Flat pack face covering kits are not a replacement for or negate the need for users to stringently follow the recommended hygiene practices or other relevant guidelines. Recipients of these flat pack face covering kits are required to provide a copy of this disclaimer to any third party before distributing them further.
Production & Certification
These flat pack face covering kits are made to a common design but are made from various brands of PET-G plastic and on multiple types of 3D printer. This type of frame based face covering kits are widely used in large numbers around the world to combat the coronavirus pandemic. However, the face covering design supplied in this pack does not have regulatory approval. Hence these flat pack face covering kits are considered for temporary emergency use only when no other PPE is available. Potential users should consult their guidelines and procedures regarding the use of non-standardized PPE before using these flat pack face covering kits. The plastic of the frames has a limited lifespan and will degrade with successive use, hence they should be viewed as temporary and disposable.
Limitation of Warranty
No representation, promise, express warranty or implied warranty concerning the suitability of these flat pack face covering kits for any medical or personal protective use including, without limitation, their effectiveness to filter, block, or protect against any pathogen and particle, including COVID - 19. The kit is provided in a good faith charitable effort to help with the COVID-19 pandemic. If you use this design, you agree to comply with any government or institutional guidelines. You also agree that the designer: (1) Disclaims any warranties related to fitness of use, non-infringement, or compliance with regulatory standards; and (2) Have no liability for any claims of any kind made by person, either as a result of use of or as related to the item.
- 2021-01-05 05:12:45
- Internet Archive Python library 1.9.6